Perma Death, forced CK?

Sons

Speaking completely on my personal opinion here.

I don't think this would really make me enjoy playing more, I think I prefer the idea of CKs being forced in situations that require it as we do now. I don't know about everyone else but I've spent over a year playing one character primarily, I have made plenty of friends, connections, and I like not being some random person in PD where I rp primarily. If I just CKed because I died to someone wanting a shootout because they get caught it'd make me feel pretty bad to lose all of that. I don't like the idea of losing all of my work without me really doing something to cause it (ignoring fear, reckless, etc). I would just find it hard to see any motivation to spend a lot of time developing characters which can be CKed at any moment especially when I rp a riskier job.

As Syrike said it sounds good in theory and initially it would sound like it makes people RP realistically, but I think it would just make a bunch of unhappy people and hurt development of characters and factions.

Edited by Odin
  • Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, TyJ said:

I personally would like to see a system where if your character is PK’d twice then the third time would be a character kill. It gives people the opportunity to straighten up and value their characters life.

It would also encourage opponents to begin tracking OOC killscores and targeting people based on how close they are to strike three.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:43 PM, Odin said:

Speaking completely on my personal opinion here.

I don't think this would really make me enjoy playing more, I think I prefer the idea of CKs being forced in situations that require it as we do now. I don't know about everyone else but I've spent over a year playing one character primarily, I have made plenty of friends, connections, and I like not being some random person in PD where I rp primarily. If I just CKed because I died to someone wanting a shootout because they get caught it'd make me feel pretty bad to lose all of that. I don't like the idea of losing all of my work without me really doing something to cause it (ignoring fear, reckless, etc). I would just find it hard to see any motivation to spend a lot of time developing characters which can be CKed at any moment especially when I rp a riskier job.

As Syrike said it sounds good in theory and initially it would sound like it makes people RP realistically, but I think it would just make a bunch of unhappy people and hurt development of characters and factions.

What Odin said.

I have spent about half a year now developing one character that is meant to be a certain kind of a cop which is a result of my current development and still very much in progress. While I think I only been PK'd once (due to a rather ridiculous circumstances), I certainly would not have liked my character to be CK'd for that PK and in fact would have possibly made me quit if that was the case. I have zero intentions of making half assed characters and mine typically take a long time to be properly developed. If forced CK's were a real thing, I just wouldn't bother with any good characters or simply not play on this server and try to find another server because I can already predict that some people, particularly in the gang scene who would OOC'ly be out to kill anyone they come across because they are a 16 year old cold blooded assassins and don't have any fear of anything. (Keyword some people, I know there are good RP'ers in gang scenes, but we do encounter people like that and those would be the ones who ruin months if not years of development for other players.)

In the end, you would most likely end up PD/SD being full of robocops with barely any character development / throwaways due to them being CK'd for the smallest thing such as a speeding ticket or some other bullshit (This happens to cops more often than you imagine). Which I imagine would be the exact opposite what the community wants. 

So definitely no thanks. If this ever happens, I'll certainly not play here any further. 

Edited by Marty
10 minutes ago, TyJ said:

Deaths would only be visible by admins.

In a perfect world, yes, however nobody needs admin privileges carve notches into the shoulder stock of their rifle. Scorekeeping is a science, and to some even an art form that has been in use since our most basic beginnings.

All a gang would have to do is keep a tally on how many times they've killed Joey from the Tortilla Flats gang.

It takes the current dynamic of having good, well thought out plans and reasons for a CK, and reduces it to being little more than a numbers game that anyone can partake in with little difficulty. Keeping people from gaming it would be nigh impossible.

I prefer the current system in which a character can only be killed if you have adequate reason to perform the kill. Surely it is not so difficult to have a good reason.

Edited by DasFroggy

Sorry, haven't read up on the comments above but to the original idea I've got to say, big nooope.

The argument I keep hearing the most about regarding every death as a CK that it'll promote people to fear death and act concerned for their characters.

And that argument is solid. It would make people fear. It'd make people fear roleplaying with each other, exposing their character, being always concerned for what might happen as a result of a scene.

It wouldn't translate into higher quality roleplay, it wouldn't leave people the room to actually roleplay fear as they'd be busy ensuring their character is protected at all times.

If this system was to be put in place, it'd quickly transform perception of character death into a punishment, and fear of punishment is no good as an incentive to improve quality of anything, roleplay included.

Not to mention that there's a point about how people take their characters. This might not sound like a legit argument to you — easily countered by "well, don't wanna lose your character, act realistically and don't die!" — but just take a look at some people's past character history. You'll be sure to find most people leaning towards running several characters / alts, while some — a minority, but still an existing chunk of players — would be bound to just one character.

Those people, people like me, form a bond with their character. They're fully consumed by the concept they're trying to bring to life through roleplay, and losing that character can be essentially a death sentence for them within a community. If my current character just got CKed out of the blue, I'd probably stop roleplaying in GTA altogether. And that's not me trying to act up. I simply wouldn't have the motivation to do so.

I like to think that there's a roleplayer, a storyteller in every single one of us. I'm pretty sure many of you can relate to walking around in any of GTA titles (or in RPGs like TES for that matter) in single player, acting like your character fits in the world. And I'm pretty sure the same can be applied to your friends that have never tried joining roleplaying servers.

But what drives us to roleplay is really different, for each and every one of us. And I think it's only right for roleplayers to respect that in each other.

Edited by yerro