Dom.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:55 AM, Dom. said:

I just want to drive bigger trucks to properly roleplay a trucker without burning myself out on some extremely long grind, to be honest. I don't give a fuck about the money, I give a fuck about my development.

You can do that. You can drive the biggest truck without even having 1 delivery ? and roleplay all you want.
It's just you won't be able to do /startshipment in it but you can drive it and roleplay just fine :).

Also what you said in the op about trucking in a company feeling the same as deliverying at the docks that's wrong there is a lot of rp being done in trucking companies. Just check imex and apex threads and you will see. 

Edited by Cantafford
  • 1 month later...

I came here from a copy paste on a different thread on trucking and all I have to say as someone who is a trucker IC is: BIG NO.

This system would continue to offer incentives to grinding speed over RP as naturally businesses are going to promote those drivers who are more effective according to the script and generating more revenue (ie "more productive") than those who are RPing realistically.

18 hours ago, Koko said:

This system would continue to offer incentives to grinding speed over RP as naturally businesses are going to promote those drivers who are more effective according to the script and generating more revenue (ie "more productive") than those who are RPing realistically.

The suggestion might help with the grind to drive bigger rigs instead of having to go through four other vehicles and 500 total delivieries. Though, it does not solve the problem of money grind in general with the trucking script. The bigger the truck, the more income and I could see a massive increase in Pounder drivers suddenly swarming the roads because both driver and trucking company benefit from this as they then can make four times the revenue they would make with a van on a singular run. It would solve the problem of having to grind to be able to drive bigger rigs and roleplay as a trucker, but not the problem with grinding to get rich rather than caring for the actual roleplay as the general mindset is still doing the trucking to make bank and be able to afford expensive items, cars, houses, etc.

1 hour ago, orca112 said:

The suggestion might help with the grind to drive bigger rigs instead of having to go through four other vehicles and 500 total delivieries. Though, it does not solve the problem of money grind in general with the trucking script. The bigger the truck, the more income and I could see a massive increase in Pounder drivers suddenly swarming the roads because both driver and trucking company benefit from this as they then can make four times the revenue they would make with a van on a singular run. It would solve the problem of having to grind to be able to drive bigger rigs and roleplay as a trucker, but not the problem with grinding to get rich rather than caring for the actual roleplay as the general mindset is still doing the trucking to make bank and be able to afford expensive items, cars, houses, etc.

The problem is that there is not a single universe in which companies are not going to abuse this to give everyone a big truck regardless of experience or realism in their RP to maximize their profits. It's a system to incentivize joining a company rather than something to fix the problems with trucking RP, which is the people who grind it to get rich, and not the people who just want to rush the Speedo phase.

5 hours ago, Koko said:

The problem is that there is not a single universe in which companies are not going to abuse this to give everyone a big truck regardless of experience or realism in their RP to maximize their profits. It's a system to incentivize joining a company rather than something to fix the problems with trucking RP, which is the people who grind it to get rich, and not the people who just want to rush the Speedo phase.

I run Blue Water Logistics, similar to other companies we have a ranking system for our drivers on our Discord. Trainee Driver, Junior Driver, Driver, Senior Driver, Experienced Driver, based on the amount of deliveries they complete.

I would fully back this, and would stick to the rules. I want drivers that stick with the business for a long time, to earn higher commission, and be able to drive the bigger vehicles. I would certainly allow them to have the pounder before 500 deliveries, but no where near anything lower than 300. It has to be monitored, and I just don't think admins have the time to monitor it sadly. Although being able to setup different roles and having a /tr (trucking radio) would be a great system.

2 hours ago, SteveHastingson said:

I run Blue Water Logistics, similar to other companies we have a ranking system for our drivers on our Discord.

I know, I work for you. 🙂

I also think 500 deliveries is too high for the high-end trucking experience myself. My only concern is that for everyone that will make this sysyem work, you'll always have a company that doesn't, and few people will see the positive effects of the former, but rather will simply see that the swarms of Speedos are suddenly substituted by slightly larger vehicles (which is one of the fundamental problems the community has with the trucking script).

Today being Halloween has been a particularly trying experience as a trucker, seeing how the supplier in Textile city was near not one but two shops within less than a mile that needed crates due to increased purchases of masks and clothing: half a dozen trucks running rampant on curbs, going over the sidewalk to park at the door instead of literally walking 5 steps per crate, speeding to make sure they get as many quick deliveries as fast as they can... it's been a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Trucking is pretty dead as of right now. It's super boring and even though my character needs money, I refuse to do trucking since it's so boring, even though I am an avid supporter and employee of Kazanov Trucking and Auto. I hate trucking so much even though Kazanov makes it somewhat easier. Anything that could possibly fix trucking would be AN INCREDIBLE IMPROVEMENT. I highly support this suggestion and would love to see something like it or similar happen within GTAW. This has my full support.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think trucking is dead at all but I think the current system is really gamey, rewards grinding out those 500 deliveries and isn't very conductive to roleplay. As it stands, the seniority or the experience of a driver IC isn't really hand to hand with what they drive in a lot of the cases and is a toss up. Sure, that guy in front of you can be in a Mule, a Benson or whatever but he could've practically speedran those deliveries all the while reckless driving, cutting corners and speeding. If companies could assign people these permissions somehow, it would incentivize joining companies and seeking out roleplay but it could also discourage solo truckers. I think if it was tied to some sort of license/qualification program rather than 500 deliveries, it would both be more immersive and also possibly decrease the quantity of murderous trucks out on the road. Possibly some sort of system that is a combination of either getting a license/qualification and letting companies be able to hand these out? As it stands, if you aren't after the cash the most sensible thing to do is grind those 500 deliveries out on a Speedo and ignore all the others, gunning for the short distance deliveries you can find. It's absolutely draining in my opinion having to watch your number slowly tick out. There are people who are truckers simply for the sake of their character/playing a blue collar and aren't necessarily in it for the money since the 200k they get at the start is enough for most purposes if you're just playing some blue collar dude. 

On the subject of being conductive to roleplay, another thing that would be really sweet is if truckers could see which stores are open on /startshipment. Delivering to a store that's manned can lead to scenes that while generic, are pretty immersive and a mood on their own. Chatting with workers while you unload, hounding them for signatures or simply getting into an argument with some store-goer about parking/blocking the road are all some encounters I have had while delivering to open stores and every time they make me wish I could have them on a less random basis. 

Edited by Enlightening
  • Upvote 2
  • mj2002 locked this topic