PD Being too harsh in traffic stops

Angela

• Developer
2 hours ago, Angela said:

And see, this is really unfair. Because if I'm in a good mood while playing, and I roleplay chill, chatty, flirty, etc, they usually give a verbal warning or a minor fine. But when I'm in a bad mood, driving around unable to find roleplay, or just driving back home to simply log off, and I'm not willing to get a whole police situation, they take all of the possible fines. I think 11K is a lot for just driving a little bit too fast. All of the possible fines should never be a thing.

So a cop should just ignore ridiculous driving people cuz youre in a good mood??

You had a bad encounter with PD in your opinion, you broke the law and you got fined for it. If you really think it was unfair IA the cop.

• Upvote 1

I personally feel there's a problem of character portrayal here, causing a lot of legal characters, who technically would get into very few issues in regards to traffic, to drive in an absolutely horrendous way because players can't take a bit of extra time to learn the IC law in regards to it and apply it to their daily driving, assuming the slight delay that comes from it vs. driving like GTA Online.

The penal code is already pretty flexible on the punishment for the offenses. Most of the time, you will walk out of a stop with a fine between $1,000 to $2,500, maybe two. If you are getting anything higher than that, you are doing something wrong here. The amount in tickets you end up receiving will ultimately depend on the officer that pulls you over, but normally, both the IC attitude and your traffic record are the key factors to determine the course of action. 

My PD character will normally let you off with a warning the first time if you don't have any previous and what you did is not too severe. But she will write it on your record so you are still applied the second offense punishment if you do it again. If you haven't paid your insurance, you will be given an option to pay it on the spot, unless you're giving her attitude. And for what I understand, most officers go by these.

As for the traffic stops, I normally keep mine under 8 minutes, and try to make it as enjoyable as possible for the other party. That's not always possible since there's a very little amount of creative things you can do on a stop while still maintaining safety and professionalism standards set by the departments, ICly. The responsibility for making stops enjoyable aren't exclusively onto the officers; I appreciate people who turn a traffic stop into a fun, enjoyable RP scenario, and those who give my character a bit of chatter. Traffic stops require a pretty fair amount of work from the officers involved, so it's always nice and enjoyable to see people using the chance to RP further and have a good time. 

2 hours ago, Ellix said:

See, I have no problem with PD enforcing traffic laws, and having to remember to pay insurance. I was just making the point that PD needs to get on the same page as the management as far as what the rules actually ARE, otherwise it's just frustrating for everyone.

The rules regarding traffic laws are outlined in the Penal Code. Also the one regarding lights and coming to a full stop. 

image.thumb.jpeg.00a9e0fa293174bf36ea176b8a5333ad.jpeg

• KV locked this topic
  • Pillsbury changed the title to PD Being too harsh in traffic stops