[LSNN] Breaking: Republican Party Candidate Arrested for Assault with a Deadly Weapon

Greyfeather

On 9/4/2020 at 10:07 PM, Свето said:

Username: VV1389

Comment: @Juno, If you can't tell from the context I don't know what to tell you. Left-wing propaganda, holds anyone who they personally disagree with under a microscope in media publications whilst letting those they like getaway with murder.

Username: Juno

Comment: @VV1389:  The context is that LSNN reported on something newsworthy. If you can’t show us a specific example of LSNN declining the opportunity to report about something equally newsworthy, and if you can’t show that the reason they declined it was because it implicated someone “they like,” then it’s not fair for you to make that accusation about their independence being compromised.  As far as I’m aware, they haven’t declined the opportunity to report on something because of who or what it implicates.

As to your comment replying to Ink:  Some of the record from that court proceeding is public; I invite you to refer to it.  Closed proceedings are unconstitutional; while they were upheld in the 1979 decision in Gannett v. DePasquale, that holding there was law for only a year as it was overturned in Richmond Newspapers Inc. v. Virginia.  Unless there is an ”overriding” Sixth Amendment need (specifically, fair trial and jury impartiality), a court cannot close proceedings to the public or the press. 

I very much doubt the narrow exception would condone closing the proceedings here, but time will reveal all.

Edited by Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic