Calling a taxi using taxi hotline just to rob them

I think we should make an amendment to the robbery rule. I don't think it should be allowed to call the taxi hotline /taxi /call 910 with the intention of robbing the driver.

It's sub par roleplay in my opinion and it will heavily demotivate people to want to roleplay being a taxi driver if this is a regular occurrence. I have never personally heard of a case in the news or from taxi driver friends IRL where a person has called a taxi company's hotline to request a taxi with the intention to rob them. I'm not going to claim it's never ever happened anywhere BUT it's highly unlikely that in today's day and age this would even be a regular occurrence. 

It's not realistic because in order to order a taxi you're going to have to give a name (sure it can be fake) and the company will have your phone number and a record of that call making it fairly easy to be traced. It's pretty lame RP and a very cheap and easy way of grabbing 5k, possibly a CCW/PF and a vehicle because all they need to do is /taxi and then get inside /me hold a knife to the driver and that's it.

Now i'm not saying to make taxi drivers immune from robbing, if you're driving your taxi through Rancho or waiting outside of a shady bar in the hood or someone from the street flags you down and robs you as a result of you picking up a random dude from the street well then that's on you. That is a little more realistic as there's no record of you in any database or what ever, etc etc.

I don't want taxi service to become worse than it is already, there's already a lack of calls and a lack of people who want to RP in this area. The last thing we want on this server is people waiting 30/40 mins for a taxi call to finally get one only just to be robbed. If this happens often you'll end up with no one wanting to RP being a taxi driver for fear and inconvenience of being robbed constantly. 

Discuss!

• Upvote 13
  • Applaud 1

Like you said, they shouldn't be immune, but if people are just calling the taxi line just to rob people? IMO that's stupid... If you saw a taxi randomly and jumped in to rob them, that makes a little bit of sense... But anything beyond that (especially if u call the hotline with ur char's REAL number) it should be punishable.

I'd also suggest in the meantime, filing character portrayal reports to Player Management, I've got a feeling that they wouldn't be too fond of what's going on, if it was reported to them.

Oh, I support this in general, though I suppose it's possible they're just wasting money on burner phones just for this purpose and turning it off again so they aren't traced. Then again, the last time this happened to me, they were jailed for chain robbery soon after, so that was the kind of quality stuff taking place.

But also? If you have your own cab, could you RP installing a partition between the front and the back seat IC? I know the in-game taxi models don't have them, but really, in a city with Los Santos's crime rate, you should pretty much be allowed to.

Just now, hillievonb said:

Oh, I support this in general, though I suppose it's possible they're just wasting money on burner phones just for this purpose and turning it off again so they aren't traced. Then again, the last time this happened to me, they were jailed for chain robbery soon after, so that was the kind of quality stuff taking place.

But also? If you have your own cab, could you RP installing a partition between the front and the back seat IC? I know the in-game taxi models don't have them, but really, in a city with Los Santos's crime rate, you should pretty much be allowed to.

While I agree w/ everything else you say here, I don't really agree with the whole partition thing being possible IC, if people are allowed to do it, everybody will do it to avoid being robbed. It was pretty much the same on LSRP, got to the point where literally everybody & their dog had perfect quality bulletproof glass in their taxi cab to avoid having a gun aimed at them.

Just now, Ears Up said:

While I agree w/ everything else you say here, I don't really agree with the whole partition thing being possible IC, if people are allowed to do it, everybody will do it to avoid being robbed. It was pretty much the same on LSRP, got to the point where literally everybody & their dog had perfect quality bulletproof glass in their taxi cab to avoid having a gun aimed at them.

Well, there are places where this is the norm, and they're not as ridiculously violent as Los Santos! I looked it up, and there were cities where it was even mandatory for a long time, so that's perfectly realistic? These days, not so much, because the crime rate has gone down and there's Uber and things like that, but it still doesn't seem that strange. Regulate it and make it expensive enough that it represents an investment, maybe?

32 minutes ago, Ears Up said:

We had this discussion on discord earlier. While the idea of a partition kinda makes sense I don't really want to be that person that has to do /DO FRONT DOORS LOCKED, PLASTIC PARTITION BETWEEN FRONT AND REAR SEATS, DASHCAM RECORDING INSIDE AND OUT everytime a customer enters the taxi. It looks kinda... ugh idk I was never a fan of people who did that on LSRP. 

In three years of GTA world I don't think this has been an issue until last week. I've had my taxi stolen (and now other things) three times in the last two weeks, prompting me to make this suggestion before it spirals out of control or a new trend of calling 910 to rob people emerges.

As I said, taxi RP is fragile(?) at best at the moment. Not many calls and not many people willing to get involved in it so the last thing we want is a compounding factor to further diminish an avenue or roleplay. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Late said:

We had this discussion on discord earlier. While the idea of a partition kinda makes sense I don't really want to be that person that has to do /DO FRONT DOORS LOCKED, PLASTIC PARTITION BETWEEN FRONT AND REAR SEATS, DASHCAM RECORDING INSIDE AND OUT everytime a customer enters the taxi. It looks kinda... ugh idk I was never a fan of people who did that on LSRP. 

In three years of GTA world I don't think this has been an issue until last week. I've had my taxi stolen (and now other things) three times in the last two weeks, prompting me to make this suggestion before it spirals out of control or a new trend of calling 910 to rob people emerges.

As I said, taxi RP is fragile(?) at best at the moment. Not many calls and not many people willing to get involved in it so the last thing we want is a compounding factor to further diminish an avenue or roleplay. 

Yeah I hear what you're saying. While the idea of a partition seems good in theory, in practice it most likely wouldn't be very fun for anyone apart from the taxi driver. Most people roleplay having top quality bulletproof glass, which in real life is extremely expensive, hence why I'm mainly against it.

Just now, Ears Up said:

Yeah I hear what you're saying. While the idea of a partition seems good in theory, in practice it most likely wouldn't be very fun for anyone apart from the taxi driver. Most people roleplay having top quality bulletproof glass, which in real life is extremely expensive, hence why I'm mainly against it.

Exactly i tend to agree with you because I don't want taxi drivers to feel they're immune from being robbed for example if they were to pick up random guys from the street in the hood,

However! There needs to be a certain element of control implemented to stop the taxi hotline being used as an avenue to get an easy CCW or 5k or a vehicle or phone or what ever.