Medical fees with hospital care

reko

I love the idea of it, especially for situations where you're brutally wounded and the only option is to /acceptdeath or await EMS to help you. I know people are pretty careful about their characters dying but this gives you yet another reason to not put yourself into situations that may result in death unnecessarily. You want the medical bills to be expensive to make an impact but not so much where it's going to limit EMS's roleplay. 

If you're in a situation of being brutally wounded, if you /acceptdeath that should come at a significantly higher cost than if you were to wait for EMS to attend to thus encourage you to RP your injures etc AND to give EMS suitable RP.

Medical bills in the US are crippling and horrendously high. Since everyone bangs on about realism so much it I think that it would be nice to have some expensive medical bills to contend with.

I don't think we should force illnesses on people how ever and insurance shouldn't negate the cost of mecial bills completely else you'll have ever gang member with medical insurance not to pay medical bills.

I also think maybe businesses could offer employee's different levels of medical insurance to encourage people to work for their businesses. For example, there's not much benifit to working at one 4k per hour job to another, but if an employer were to offer some kind of medical insurance where the other one doesn't? IDK, just random ideas i'm throwing out now but YES i'm for this. 

Edited by Late

I've been roleplaying EMS for around 10+ months consistently on this server, and adding horrendous fees would uh. Probably kill all the cool calls we do actually get.

I'll touch on the point about ambulances not responding to calls, you have to realize RPing EMS, we have a SMALL amount of staff compared to LSSD/LSPD, but waaaay more calls. I'd say we have three calls to every one call LEO's get on average per day. So we're scrambling resources to respond to every call, and they usually come in waves, which means some calls are simply not going to get answered by us. Which means we have a few crews responding to these calls and if they log off? Calls don't get responded too, which leads to heavy burnout. These calls are also super low quality unconscious stab/gunshot/blunt force trauma calls. Where the patient is unresponsive, usually afk/talking to an admin, and there is very poor RP quality. This makes up 60-70% of our calls. And they're awful, so much so that I usually log off after getting a wave of them.

It goes wave of 3+ calls --> no calls for six hours --> wave of 8+ calls

The calls we do have a lot of hype for are unique medical/rescue calls. Something stuck on a roof or someones having a bad asthma attack or a strange illness that we have to suit up for. These calls are tremendously rare, shit overdoses and diabetic emergencies, the most common type of EMS call in the US, almost never happens in LS. I think 10 months playing a Firefighter/Paramedic, I've had one asthma attack, one diabetic emergency (actually it was probably nothing) and four-ish overdoses.

Meanwhile I've had almost 1000+ GSW/Stab wounds, heavy trauma, where somehow all the patients are unconscious for some weird reason. I mostly blame this on the tremendously awful wound script which causes people to not talk magically. And is frankly, ridiculously unrealistic.

Actually being able to talk to your patient makes EMS fun, and the trauma calls on this server suck due to that single script.

As for actual fees, you need a hospital in place first, with an actual healthcare system that's been developed, adding fee's only hurts EMS and the fledgling medical clinics/hospitals that are trying to get their feet on the ground. You need a proper system in place first, which is fair to the patient, EMS, and other medical personnel. Adding baseline fees will kill any good roleplay I have with the unique call patients. Because those unique call patients only happen when the player wants them to happen. Medical conditions that are thought out are so tremendously rare, that anytime someone says they have some chronic illness or even a basic allergy, I look at 'em like a god damn unicorn, because that's what they are.

TL;DR rework the stupid injury script, don't bully yer ems for not responding, we're stressed enough as it is, and fees without a hospital/healthcare system is like stabbing someone without the pointy bit of the knife.

P.S no another EMS service would not help, unlike LSSD/LSPD, only a small niche fraction of people actually want to give EMS a try, any new agency would be good for a couple months, then run into a personnel problem real fast.

Edited by KinnyWynny
  • Upvote 1

maybe we get a hospital staff and doctors, recieve rp for  surgery or something, then i can see why a few grand for hospital fee's... but supply and demand of medical providers is way one sided, and thus is just one  less thing for those who already do medical rp to not have to worry about billing people.

• Applaud 1
1 minute ago, SugarDavis said:

If we had an actual hospital faction up and running them the hospital could worry about medical billing and such. I know OwlGaming had a hospital faction which handed out medical bills for care and the system seemed to work fine. 

SoonTM

• Upvote 1

Won't that just push players to accept death more and role-play less with FD for new players? Just because there's illegal role-players who tend to get into shoot-outs with tons of cash doesn't mean your average new player has the money, since it is clear that there's more violence. Comparing what happens to real life in terms of costs with the actual violence in-game doesn't seem to be that productive.

I fail to understand what this changes in terms of role-play apart from pushing new players with less cash to just accept death, since your average player without a lot of cash would see this as punishment (let alone the feeling of "loss when someone dies in-game).

A hospital sector does sound interest however, on an off topic note.

Edited by harry
38 minutes ago, harry said:

Won't that just push players to accept death more and role-play less with FD for new players? Just because there's illegal role-players who tend to get into shoot-outs with tons of cash doesn't mean your average new player has the money, since it is clear that there's more violence. Comparing what happens to real life in terms of costs with the actual violence in-game doesn't seem to be that productive.

I fail to understand what this changes in terms of role-play apart from pushing new players with less cash to just accept death, since your average player without a lot of cash would see this as punishment (let alone the feeling of "loss when someone dies in-game).

A hospital sector does sound interest however, on an off topic note.

This.
This suggestion is just a money sink. It doesn't add any roleplay that you can't already do yourself. You can roleplay having no insurance, medicare, or private health insurance, it's your call in the end depending on what suits your character.

Adding a COST to getting an ambulance/FD treatment will just make a lot more people /acceptdeath or adamantly refuse any roleplay with FD - and they can. Because unless they're downed/unconscious, they have the right to take an Uber to the hospital, not go at all, or find an alternative.