Case Files

Sixth

16 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

@Sam2 What are things players can do to help the roleplay? 

Utilising /setinjuries as accurately as possible, Behaving more realistically during interrogation RP, being willing to go along with and divulge what forensic evidence would be left behind and generally being good sports about the fact their characters may get arrested. It's a give and take thing, and you have to be willing to give a lot on both sides for the RP to be good.  Unfortunately this is fairly difficult and is why the main change that needs to happen is increased script support to crush ambiguity on both sides and to erase reasons to argue and points of contention.  As the forensic side of scripting expands, the happier everyone will be. 

Edited by Sam2
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Sam2 said:

Utilising /setinjuries as accurately as possible, Behaving more realistically during interrogation RP, being willing to go along with and divulge what forensic evidence would be left behind and generally being good sports about the fact their characters may get arrested. It's a give and take thing, and you have to be willing to give a lot on both sides for the RP to be good.  Unfortunately this is fairly difficult and is why the main change that needs to happen is increased script support to crush ambiguity on both sides and to erase reasons to argue and points of contention.  As the forensic side of scripting expands, the happier everyone will be. 

I myself am interested in facilitating such an interaction, as are others I know. Is there a way to communicate this with investigating parties? Say I’ve killed somebody and put in effort to leave a proper scene you can interact with, how do I make sure it’s picked up? 

Just now, eTaylor said:

I myself am interested in facilitating such an interaction, as are others I know. Is there a way to communicate this with investigating parties? Say I’ve killed somebody and put in effort to leave a proper scene you can interact with, how do I make sure it’s picked up? 

That new persistent form of /createscene they've implemented should be good for that, honestly. Unfortunately it's restricted to administrators until they've rolled it out fully and tested it, I believe.  Or a /createscene (short term) can do the trick.  That at least leaves a name to PM.Unfortunately I don't know what else you could do that wouldn't open up unfair channels for you to get caught (sticking around longer than you would have realistically just to PM an officer) or opening funky avenues of metagame by notifying people of your crime oocly. Both of these are, of course, undesireable options, so we'll have to make do with leaving those /createscene notices for now. 

4 hours ago, Sixth said:

Are case files a thing on here? Are illegal factions actively being investigated and sought to be taken down?

I remember on LSRP when an official faction got taken down and the case file was released. It was the most bad ass thing! 

I understand that there are a lot more 'official' factions on here, but do they still exist?

Yes, they exist. As someone who works on them, the focus here isn’t to shut down a faction OOCly like it was on LSRP, it’s an entirely different mentality.

Edited by mattmocz

@Sam2

I ended up killing someone in a very active neighborhood (Jamestown), practically right next to the road in the heat of the moment. However, around six hours passed and the body was never investigated, even though I purposefully left a messy scene as my character was not experienced at all and wouldn't be able to clean up after himself correctly. I ended up asking a cop (Carlos Medina) if we could make an NPC 911 call such as a neighbor calling about the body and the shooting but that's against the server rules it seems. Obviously no one else in the area that is actively roleplaying with us ended up calling the police considering they're all part of the same gang. 

Is there something that can be done about this? Someone just got murdered in broad daylight within a high traffic area but there was never any investigation, the body ended up disappearing on server restart. I was more than willing to give any OOC information needed to conduct the invesitgation as well, as it's something I wanted to happen due to the nature of the events and my character's inability to do so cleanly. That on top of the fact there was around 10 witnesses or so I feel would have ended up with a solid investigation.

Edited by Naeno
36 minutes ago, Naeno said:

@Sam2

I ended up killing someone in a very active neighborhood (Jamestown), practically right next to the road in the heat of the moment. However, around six hours passed and the body was never investigated, even though I purposefully left a messy scene as my character was not experienced at all and wouldn't be able to clean up after himself correctly. I ended up asking a cop (Carlos Medina) if we could make an NPC 911 call such as a neighbor calling about the body and the shooting but that's against the server rules it seems. Obviously no one else in the area that is actively roleplaying with us ended up calling the police considering they're all part of the same gang. 

Is there something that can be done about this? Someone just got murdered in broad daylight within a high traffic area but there was never any investigation, the body ended up disappearing on server restart. I was more than willing to give any OOC information needed to conduct the invesitgation as well, as it's something I wanted to happen due to the nature of the events and my character's inability to do so cleanly. That on top of the fact there was around 10 witnesses or so I feel would have ended up with a solid investigation.

What did you actually leave? Just the body and the casings? Were there any OOC indicators for people there to know how to contact you?

Because if it's just the body and the casings, honestly, those are a dime a dozen, there's very little people can do anything with or interact with when it's just those two things and nothing else to go on. 

Your part about noone else actively roleplaying in the area would call the police because they're all part of the gang is part of a wider community issue that effects an investigative roleplay. It is exceptionally difficult to get some realistic leads/witnesses when everyone in an area is just, and just, a gang member or a cop. For this kind of thing to be improved, there needs to be a willingness for people to roleplay people in a community, who just live and exist there, and not just the gang members.  There is a completely absent dynamic from the distinct lack of people roleplaying this. IF you want things to be really great, you need a good mix of government/law enforcement, illegal individuals and grey area/"regulars" in an area for things to really, truly work well. Part of what I'd say to this: Encourage people in your gang turf to roleplay being members of a community, and all the trials and tribulations that come with trying to be a person existing and getting by in a low come area riddled with gang crime.  This would open new and excellent and interesting avenues of roleplay that would change the dynamic for all involved. For goodness to happen here, we cannot keep up having areas of the city which are simply just police officers and gang members in the 14-24 range. It doesn't work. 

Bit of a tangent but it's one of those things that comes back into investigations and good RP. These things are necessary. Rather than just forming a gang, we need people to form neighbourhood communities from which a gang (at least semi-organically) develops, or, at least, forms based upon the RP and community already existing within the area. 

In my opinion, the police need to be a more active enemy to gangs & criminal organizations in Los Santos. When it comes to street gangs, they should still be able to post up on their usual streets etc, as it's not that often IRL that police would stop in said corners, because of the danger to the officer(s). 

BUT... Active surveillance, undercover work, etc, trying to really pursue the criminals would be something amazing to see.

Some people might argue, "well, what the fuck, the LSPD are obviously gonna win", but I'm arguing that, illegal RP'ers are just gonna have to adapt and be more careful about their business(es).

5 minutes ago, Sam2 said:

What did you actually leave? Just the body and the casings? Were there any OOC indicators for people there to know how to contact you?

Because if it's just the body and the casings, honestly, those are a dime a dozen, there's very little people can do anything with or interact with when it's just those two things and nothing else to go on. 

Your part about noone else actively roleplaying in the area would call the police because they're all part of the gang is part of a wider community issue that effects an investigative roleplay. It is exceptionally difficult to get some realistic leads/witnesses when everyone in an area is just, and just, a gang member or a cop. For this kind of thing to be improved, there needs to be a willingness for people to roleplay people in a community, who just live and exist there, and not just the gang members.  There is a completely absent dynamic from the distinct lack of people roleplaying this. IF you want things to be really great, you need a good mix of government/law enforcement, illegal individuals and grey area/"regulars" in an area for things to really, truly work well. Part of what I'd say to this: Encourage people in your gang turf to roleplay being members of a community, and all the trials and tribulations that come with trying to be a person existing and getting by in a low come area riddled with gang crime.  This would open new and excellent and interesting avenues of roleplay that would change the dynamic for all involved. For goodness to happen here, we cannot keep up having areas of the city which are simply just police officers and gang members in the 14-24 range. It doesn't work. 

Bit of a tangent but it's one of those things that comes back into investigations and good RP. These things are necessary. Rather than just forming a gang, we need people to form neighbourhood communities from which a gang (at least semi-organically) develops, or, at least, forms based upon the RP and community already existing within the area. 

I left multiple /createscene with details and obviously my OOC name in it. There is a community aspect of people who are not involved with the gang but live in the area instead. Unfortunately all the ones who witnessed what happened were part of the gang itself, even though it literally took place on a public sidewalk next to a high traffic road. There's plenty of people roleplaying here who are roleplaying as locals, ranging from young ages to even senior citizens. Just the other day one came out while someone was being punished for acting up and sat there with the older members of the gang watching it go down and telling the youngsters stories.

Edited by Naeno
1 minute ago, Naeno said:

I left multiple /createscene with details and obviously my OOC name in it. There is a community aspect of people who are not involved with the gang but live in the area instead. Unfortunately all the ones who witnessed what happened were part of the gang itself, even though it literally took place on a public sidewalk next to a high traffic road. There's plenty of people roleplaying here who are roleplaying as locals, ranging from young ages to even senior citizens. Just the other day one come out while someone was being punished for acting up and sat there with the older members of the gang watching it go down and telling the youngsters stories.

Unfortunately /createscene vanishes after 30 minutes (max) and if it's too long, it cuts off your name. It might just be that noone noticed. Sometimes areas go under-patrolled because things are kicking off elsewhere/overabundance of backup requests/it's just dead at that time of day. Coverage varies, unfortunately, and it is unfortunate that your thing went unseen. It happens, though. Can't catch everything. 

And, I'm glad that happens in your area. Many other places are not so fortunate. 

Edited by Sam2
Just now, Sam2 said:

Unfortunately /createscene vanishes after 30 minutes (max) and if it's too long, it cuts off your name. It might just be that noone noticed. Sometimes areas go under-patrolled because things are kicking off elsewhere/overabundance of backup requests/it's just dead at that time of day. Coverage varies, unfortunately, and it is unfortunate that your thing went unseen. It happens, though. Can't catch everything. 

Yeah that's why I kept refreshing the /createscene every 30 minutes, was kind of annoying seeing cruisers just drive by it (I even tested to see if they could see it from where they were driving and they could). It's understandable anyways, I do think it was a busy night and they probably had better things to be doing. Thanks for the replies anyways, appreciate it.

• Upvote 2