Case Files

Sixth

Are case files a thing on here? Are illegal factions actively being investigated and sought to be taken down?

I remember on LSRP when an official faction got taken down and the case file was released. It was the most bad ass thing! 

I understand that there are a lot more 'official' factions on here, but do they still exist?

I honestly think the LSPD hasn’t gotten there yet. They definitely have casefiles on account of the active injunctions. I know LSPD command has commented that their focus isn’t on closing down factions. I imagine if a faction starts blasting cops or going off the handle we’ll start seeing closures.

4 hours ago, eTaylor said:

I honestly think the LSPD hasn’t gotten there yet. They definitely have casefiles on account of the active injunctions. I know LSPD command has commented that their focus isn’t on closing down factions. I imagine if a faction starts blasting cops or going off the handle we’ll start seeing closures.

So the LSPD does not want to take down illegal organized crime? That was always the fun of official factions, navigating around LSPD and not getting shut down because then you lose your official status.

Just now, Sixth said:

So the LSPD does not want to take down illegal organized crime? That was always the fun of official factions, navigating around LSPD and not getting shut down because then you lose your official status.

I think there is a very large difference between WANTING to take down a faction, and going after those that actually make noise and become an issue in Los Santos. I have no doubt that if a faction started making too much noise and presenting actual problems, that they would get on the LSPD's radar and actual take downs would happen rather than just injunctions.

Edited by Fergie

Hello, person who runs PD Detective Bureau (DB) here.

We're not really focusing on faction takedowns right now for a myriad of reasons, including a general lack of need to shut down factions,  the generally volatile nature of illegal RP right now  (as in, many factions which make a lot of "noise" tend to shut down within 2-6 months, negating any effort put into dealing with them), a lack of standardised rules and takedown regulations relating to the dismantling of factions and also just a general lack of need to do so. Unlike LSRP (where I also ran DB for quite some time) there's less a need to focus on takedowns. There's not a competitive aspect, things are a little more refined in terms of roleplay expectations, etc.

Generally what we're focusing on is just providing good, and hopefully for the most part, realistic portrayal of police detectives (taking much from the LAPD where we can) and a focus on good character development and progression. Hopefully, if we ever do go into a  position where we "need/want" to take down a faction, it will come about organically.  As it stands at the moment, we mainly go through the standard initiatives to engage criminal activity proactively (stings, busts, gang enforcement, vice enforcement, etc) and reactions to the activities of criminals which necessitate investigation. In short, if you make heat, we bring heat.

If you have any other questions about this or Detectives, please let me know. 

Edited by Sam2
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
2 hours ago, Sam2 said:

Hello, person who runs PD Detective Bureau (DB) here.

We're not really focusing on faction takedowns right now for a myriad of reasons, including a general lack of need to shut down factions,  the generally volatile nature of illegal RP right now  (as in, many factions which make a lot of "noise" tend to shut down within 2-6 months, negating any effort put into dealing with them), a lack of standardised rules and takedown regulations relating to the dismantling of factions and also just a general lack of need to do so. Unlike LSRP (where I also ran DB for quite some time) there's less a need to focus on takedowns. There's not a competitive aspect, things are a little more refined in terms of roleplay expectations, etc.

Generally what we're focusing on is just providing good, and hopefully for the most part, realistic portrayal of police detectives (taking much from the LAPD where we can) and a focus on good character development and progression. Hopefully, if we ever do go into a  position where we "need/want" to take down a faction, it will come about organically.  As it stands at the moment, we mainly go through the standard initiatives to engage criminal activity proactively (stings, busts, gang enforcement, vice enforcement, etc) and reactions to the activities of criminals which necessitate investigation. In short, if you make heat, we bring heat.

If you have any other questions about this or Detectives, please let me know. 

Thanks for the replies! Do you guys have active case-files? Say you arrest someone from a Motorcycle club, do you take down their tattoos, etc and place it in a case-file pertaining to that Club? Just curious, really!

9 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

How’s homicide doing in terms of case files and workable investigations?

50-50. A lot of investigations tend to unfortunately go into /b or OOC, or claims of metagame (either against PD or the other offending party.) a lot of things get voided as a result.  Investigations on this front are, generally, hampered by script issues, a lack of forensic script support, missing some things that should, realistically, be there or that an investigator would have access to, etc.  Other issues are that people will kill someone and all evidence will be removed by a lack of persistence of some things.

On top of this, sometimes, someone will commit a quadruple homicide then not log in on that character for three weeks, thus disrupting the entire effort. Generally, if three weeks have passed, it is difficult to pick up and deal with things. This is because many investigations are reliant on communication both icly (actual normal RP stuff you have to do) and OOCly (You have to ask them questions about the scene, about the evidence, etc.) This OOC communication is necessary because, as I said earlier, much of the things you would reasonably be able to find out on a scene are not actually doable because the script provides no means to do those things, thus necessitating the asking of questions. 

That being said, sometimes, you get things and they go well, the other parties are good sports oocly and don't do things which lead to a void or spend two weeks trying to get aspects of evidence voided (they don't get voided) that are legitimate and evidence can be collected and things are roleplayed well.

One aspect that comes across as an issue on a purely IC level, supposing other OOC issues don't come up, is a general lack of fear in interrogations. Many interrogations (Including those where people are presented with a CCTV still of them murdering someone) don't really get met with a realistic response from the other party.  You tend to get a lot of /me remains silent, or you get met with a complete lack of and absence of nervousness or fear from the other party for their fate. Which does not strictly line up with what is expected of people  in that situation (IRL, if the DA's about to put someone away for life,  they generally plea-bargain or give up something).

CK's are almost impossible to investigate if they're done out in the county/a house randomly and noone who witnessed it calls it in. The body vanishes, the person namechanges, and suddenly that sofa with a corpse on it now belongs to an entirely different person and it may as well have never happened.

Not that this applies to every case of course, but it happens to rather a lot of cases, very unfortunately, and I will say that for every two or three cases like this there's a couple really good ones that go pretty darn well and people generally thoroughly enjoy. In short, like anything, there's good and bad aspects, and sometimes things work out, and sometimes, sadly, they do not.  

9 minutes ago, Sixth said:

Thanks for the replies! Do you guys have active case-files? Say you arrest someone from a Motorcycle club, do you take down their tattoos, etc and place it in a case-file pertaining to that Club? Just curious, really!

Not as such, though we have a thing called the SANGANG database where people who meet  STEP act criteria are given an individual file. If people have the time, and are inclined to go into it, we have comprehensive tattoo reports we do up to go over and cover an individuals tat collection as it pertains to their "gang."

We don't tend to immediately open casefiles on every criminal organisation we come across unless there's good cause and reason to invest more time and effort into them.  That being said things are still documented (typically in misc intelligence reports, area incident reps, gang files, etc).

Edited by Sam2