BUYING ANY BUSINESS - Enforce stricter realism on ads

I will preface this that I am not including all people in this group, but it's certainly going to be a majority. If you are out there posting, "buying all businesses", it screams to me that you have a character with a lot of script money and no general direction or proper background to your character. You're just out there looking to buy something that you can force fit into your character's story in order to make more script money. It's bad RP. Period. It shouldn't be allowed and I'll tell you why.

The business investor excuse is a complete cop-out and poor reasoning to just be blindly buying any kind of business. Most business investors are not looking to completely buy out a business and then have to deal with running it themselves or hiring staff to oversee the operations. Sure they exist, but I highly doubt we have any properly RP'd characters here who would belong on Shark Tank with billions of dollars in the bank. Most business investors (Angel investors for example) are looking to invest a certain sum of money for start-up funding or expansion funding with the strict goal of earning a return on their investment. They aren't looking to get their hands dirty. They just want to sit back and earn off their initial investment. It's like buying stocks. I buy a stock and hope to earn a return on my investment, but that's the extent of my involvement. Sure, I'll keep an eye on it but I'd be mostly hands-off.

If you're actually buying a business as an investor, that means you've done your research and have determined that's a business you feel would turn a profit relatively quickly. That's the ultimate goal. You wouldn't be blindly buying businesses in any field because that's just a stupid investment strategy. Most investors have painstakingly had the research done into a few fields that they feel would be a good investment, but they wouldn't be blindly buying anything they could get their hands on. You would most likely be making ads in-game that would reflect your intentions as an investor or investment firm at this point. This kind of "buying all businesses" RP makes zero sense and there's no justification behind it.

On the rare occasion that you have properly built a character background who's goal is to be an angel investor or an investment firm that wants to help small businesses grow? That's a different story. Again in this situation, you wouldn't be buying to own businesses completely. You'd be investing to own a small percentage of the business and guide the business owner down the right track so you can seek a return on your initial investment. I'm good with that. Sadly, most people "buying any business", do not fall in this category and I'd be willing to bet if you put them on the spot, they wouldn't have a very good reason for wanting to blindly buy any business in any category of operation.

Edited by Sixty
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 8:50 AM, Timzii said:

Simply enforce saying when looking to buy something it has to be specific what, but I agree its really stupid with the amount of people saying buying any house, any properties, any businesses, any cars, etc. Should be further restriction to the ad rule. +1

The 'any house' category specifically stems from the lack of houses on the server.  The same isn't true for businesses. Any car isn't even that bad. Some people just want any cheap car. Safe to say anyone asking for any car within a budget isn't being picky. 

Edited by Momo's Revenge
  • 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Yoak said:

Like I’ve previously stated - DO THIS ON ALL ADS PLEASE

What makes the core difference for me is wether it's a public information, actual ->advertisement for something or any other offer of rp of any sort to the community- or if it's, like "Buying any business", "Schafter for sale" and "Looking for job" the needs of a single individual being displayed to everyone.

Sugar-coating these ads in "ic terms" of whatever sort won't improve anything imo- business is business in the end of the day, job is job, car is car, and me as single person too lazy to liaise in the area of business i want to to get into is me being a single lazy person.

Personally, I've always been in favour of regulating private ads much stricter- all they should be allowed to use for is stuff where a single individual actually intends to inform the public of something that might interest a wider audience, such as an event being held (may it be hunting trip, golf tourney or protest), Job offers, and whatever else falls in this category.