BUYING ANY BUSINESS - Enforce stricter realism on ads

On 10/20/2020 at 10:12 AM, @horiaa said:

I can't see the issue with this as long as I'm operating a dealership and I am interested in buying ANY vehicle. As for the business, I specified that I'd like a Restaurant but I'm open to other kinds of businesses aswell. 

A person that it investing in the business would take into consideration numerous factors before purchasing any piece of property. Demographics etc... should be taken into consideration when making any business-related investment. I.E. Why would some one purchase a bar in Paleto when they live in Davis etc...

• 1 month later...

Whilst for vehicle advertisements it is a two-way road (e.g. "Looking for a reliable car, budget up to X dollars"), business sales do not happen like that, nor would anyone just look for "any" type of business. Whenever I see ads like these, I cringe internally thinking of the person looking for means of passive income rather than caring about the specific business they wish to buy. Yes, you could argue with "but my character is a manager" and "they employ suitable individuals", but you should not see businesses as a simple money printer and actively roleplay around these establishments just like any leased business on the server. Thus, when looking to purchase a business, it should not simply be "anything", but something your character actively seeks out and potential locations, size, price range...all these factors that come in mind when looking for a property just like in real life.

If you're advertising to buy a business to take ownership of, realistically the business would be involving an industry that you as a person have trained and worked in for numerous years to gain the confidence to even put the advertisement out in the first place.

Business ownership should be seen less around money-making and more so into character development. If it makes sense for the character, how you would go about expanding and improving etc. If money-making is the only thing which is leading the decision of owning a business, then immersion as well as interest-levels can quickly perish. There needs to be more thought put into these types of advertisements in regards to realism.

+1

Edited by Soup

I'll go against the flow and be against this suggestion. While a business owner might have experience in the field the business operates in and they might get involved in the day-to-day operation of the business, they're, after all, just that - the owner. It's a well known fact that for lots of businesses, the owner hires a manager. If I purchase a coffee shop, it's not a rule that I've been a barista for 5 years or that you'll find me working the counter. I may not even have any experience as a manager. After all, what counts is the money.

The other argument is that being able to buy 'unique' businesses keeps the diversity rolling. If everyone were to look for a specific type of business, one of two things would happen:

1. The business would be a usual one - i.e. 'Buying a 24/7 / Bar / Cafe / Club' and the diversity we know and love would slowly fade away
  2. The request would be too specific - i.e. 'Buying an outdoor adventures company'.

This way, if someone were to consider selling a more unique business, they would be able to find a new owner quite easily. Most people would also mend their character's story according to where it's currently heading.

Unfortunately, the market is not that wide (and it never will be) to make this work. I don't think that the 'buying any business' ads are that much of a problem.

On 11/28/2020 at 3:59 PM, Soup said:

If you're advertising to buy a business to take ownership of, realistically the business would be involving an industry that you as a person have trained and worked in for numerous years to gain the confidence to even put the advertisement out in the first place.

Business ownership should be seen less around money-making and more so into character development. If it makes sense for the character, how you would go about expanding and improving etc. If money-making is the only thing which is leading the decision of owning a business, then immersion as well as interest-levels can quickly perish. There needs to be more thought put into these types of advertisements in regards to realism.

+1

• 1 month later...

I don't think buying any business ad should even be allowed. It is rather obvious said person doesn't care about business they buying, which means they are not interested in actual portrayal of said business. While that could make sense in real life, we must work with the fact, that here on the server it's roleplay we are after,  not afking in your house and counting money from other businesses you have. While I understand, that...such can be portrayed as well of course. My suggestion would be, make a choice, decide what industry you wanna be in and stay there, it may even improve the roleplay in said area. Also don't use ads, do your research on forums in IC section, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t see any issue in it?

Firstly, what exactly is wrong with buying and selling tags? They’re used on all online marketplaces. 

Secondly, what is the issue with using the word “any”? It leaves you open to more bites, which is what you would do in real life. If I owned a used car dealership I wouldn’t say “buying 1990 Subarus” I would say “buying ANY used cars” in order to increase potential sales. People looking to buy any businesses are just looking to see what’s available and make the best decision. Anyway, I doubt any of these people are getting calls because all the businesses for sale on the forums get snapped up pretty quickly.

Just seems like a really small problem to need to amend a rule for, should just be handled by admins ig on a case by case basis.