VISA

Dumplings

Short description: Adding in a Visa system, by which I mean the Visa required by those from other countries such as any EU country or Asia

Detailed description: Adding in a Visa system which is very much so based around the same idea as the one's used by governments across the globe IRL. The United States governemnt uses such Visas therefor it only makes sense for it to be in SA. There are nonimigrant Visas which are temporary, usually valid for anywhere between 1 week to 3 months and allow the holder to enter the US for things like tourism, study or temporary work. Then there are immigrant Visas for foreign citizens who wish to permanently live and work in the US. 

Commands to add: Perhaps /grantvisa temp/perm for either GOV or LSPD or both, which allows the GOV or LSPD to grant a Visa to the person in need of one for either temporary term or permanent, depending on the situation.

Items to add: A Visa card/document which stays in the inventory like a drivers license I believe could work nicely, should someone need to see it, such as the PD.

How would your suggestion improve the server? There is a platora of ways that Visas can bring RP, from fake visas to visa theft and deporting of non-visa holders. Fake visas can be crafted up by an organization which delves in fraudulant documents and I'm sure our server can provide one as such, or perhaps can be done via the supplier program. These fake visas can then be purchased and used in places necessary such as during issues with the LSPD or while looking for work.
Then there are visa thefts, this is usually done by criminal organizations which delve in slavery or production of illegal goods such as drugs or weapons. It does occur in many countries across the globe and forces the person whos visa has been stolen into either slavery (though this usually occurs with kidnapping) or forced labour in which they still get paid though only enough to pay for bare minimums such as insuficient food, leaving them in debt elsewhere.
Finally, though only as far as my mind is able to think, deporting persons who are from a foreign country and do not hold a visa. Usually done through the means of GOV involvement and the aid of the PD. 

Additional information: I believe the first time people log in should grant them the ability to chose if their character hold a Visa or not, so as to give them a choice of RP'ing an illegal immigrant or not. The visas could probably be obtained through pd/gov forum application or by some sort of a means in-game, a bit like the DMV works for vehicle licenses.

As such, of course all input on how to better this idea is welcome! I think Visas can really expand the reasoning for wishing to RP a foreign citizen living in the US, making things a little bit harder for those wishing to do so or dangerous, depending on situations. So all input is welcome on this idea! ?

• Upvote 2

I think what might be better is when you create your character, it asks you what their residence status is. You can be a citizen of the United States (or just put "Citizen" to avoid the whole RP world continuity issues or whatever), which would mean you are what everyone is right now. There wouldn't be a way for this to be revoked (although of course there are ways in real life)

You could be a permanent resident, which might have some interesting drawbacks. You can't vote in federal elections, but we don't have that. Perhaps San Andreas doesn't allow permanent residents to vote in state elections, but that could be changed ICly.  If you fall onto some ground of deportability, such as convicting an aggravated felony, or being convicted of a drug crime (there's a lot of ways to get deported), then, of course, you get deported! I think this would be a CK, but it's up for discussion.

You could be under a certain visa, under which you would be allowed to stay, but you can set a time limit for it, or use a command to indicate when it's up. I've personally met 2 people other than myself who have roleplayed being on visas and then overstaying them afterwards.

There's more to think about, but I think it would be a lot easier to just give the player the freedom to pick their immigration status rather than making them run through LSPD. That being said, personally I'd love to deal with this stuff if it was in GOV, although I doubt there would be much demand for it anyways. 

Not really what the server needed, and " deporting persons who are from a foreign country and do not hold a visa." 
so what? they should namechange their character because they're deported ICly if they can't afford to have the visa?

Edited by TOrtiz

-1, there's no need for this imo, we play in LS and LS only, there's no way to access other cities/countries so it's pointless having a visa system in place, the system would get abandoned due to nobody caring about it enough because of the lack of consequences if someone had a "fake visa". 

On 8/17/2020 at 5:10 AM, TOrtiz said:

Not really what the server needed, and " deporting persons who are from a foreign country and do not hold a visa." 
so what? they should namechange their character because they're deported ICly if they can't afford to have the visa?

Why not? lol
If you're a US citizen then you do not need a visa, if you can't afford a visa, the only way you can get into the country is by illegal means lmao I don't think its that hard to understand what happens if you illegally enter a country.

On 8/17/2020 at 4:36 PM, Arkadenn said:

-1, there's no need for this imo, we play in LS and LS only, there's no way to access other cities/countries so it's pointless having a visa system in place, the system would get abandoned due to nobody caring about it enough because of the lack of consequences if someone had a "fake visa". 

Lack of consequences... hmmm you mean the fact that you could get booted from the country, placed in jail for forging documents, losing what you might've achieved before being caught.. none of that being part of the consequences? No consequences at all when forging documents, especially in a country you might not even be allowed to be in.. no, none at all hahaha and you say there's no access to other cities or countries.. yet people RP being from other cities or countries. hmm.. curious..

Edited by Dumplings

I have been in a faction that had the possiblity to RP an illegal immigrant and if you got caught by the police you were forced to CK your characters as you would be deported ICly. Adding a VISA system will only further complicate RP and add an extra layer of things you need to do for your character. No one is preventing you from RPing an expired VISA or anything similar right now, so why would we want a system that further complicates the entire idea?

It's a no from me.

• mj2002 locked this topic