Let us chop cars without mechanics

Shekh

2 hours ago, Anselmi said:

We already have enough work to do with the amount of reports that come in and the entirely admin-reliant house breakin script on top of it. The last thing we need is yet another system that relies on admins to function properly.

Honestly, I'd be coming up with ideas to completely overhaul the metallurgist job and chopping system within it because, at present, it makes no sense whatsoever. You chop cars for parts to make... knives, lockpicks and knuckledusters? Not really an accurate representation of why people steal cars and chop them for parts in reality.

It's definitely an area that needs some attention, but I don't think this is the right way to go about it.

Then what do you suggest about vehicle thefts being handled? Current system is horrible and involves RNG and one command for a vehicle to be stolen which doesn't promote heavy RP at all, let alone your vehicle being stolen from your driveway by a towtruck in the middle of the day. Admin supervision would be hard indeed but it would improve the RP quality heavily as it'd be supervised, unlike now where anyone can steal your car and admins aren't even bothered checking the logs if it was correctly done or not. 

1 minute ago, Timzii said:

Then what do you suggest about vehicle thefts being handled? Current system is horrible and involves RNG and one command for a vehicle to be stolen which doesn't promote heavy RP at all, let alone your vehicle being stolen from your driveway by a towtruck in the middle of the day. Admin supervision would be hard indeed but it would improve the RP quality heavily as it'd be supervised, unlike now where anyone can steal your car and admins aren't even bothered checking the logs if it was correctly done or not. 

I don't have any ideas on how it can be improved, but what's being suggested here simply isn't feasible. You can't expect the admin team to supervise all aspects of roleplay on the server to "ensure quality". If this suggestion was approved and went into action, it'd ultimately end up being treated the way house robbery requests are treated now; actively ignored for hours on end until someone with a lot of free time is able to take the report. Nobody wants to be sitting there spectating you while you roleplay for 30-60 minutes at a time just to "ensure quality". It's not our job to baby sit roleplay. We want to be able to roleplay as well without having to dedicate all of our time in game to spectating house robberies and vehicle thefts / chopping if this were approved.

What's being proposed here doesn't tackle the core issues, is what I was getting at. The metallurgy job in itself is totally unrealistic and more suitable for an RPG server and you're right in saying that the way car thefts are done now is a problem; everybody has this unconscious knowledge of how to hotwire a car, you need a lockpick to break in as opposed to just smashing the window - and to top it off some of the alarm levels are bugged because they don't notify the police when someone breaks in like they should.

It's an area that needs attention, but this suggestion isn't it.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Anselmi said:

I don't have any ideas on how it can be improved, but what's being suggested here simply isn't feasible. You can't expect the admin team to supervise all aspects of roleplay on the server to "ensure quality". If this suggestion was approved and went into action, it'd ultimately end up being treated the way house robbery requests are treated now; actively ignored for hours on end until someone with a lot of free time is able to take the report. Nobody wants to be sitting there spectating you while you roleplay for 30-60 minutes at a time just to "ensure quality". It's not our job to baby sit roleplay. We want to be able to roleplay as well without having to dedicate all of our time in game to spectating house robberies and vehicle thefts / chopping if this were approved.

What's being proposed here doesn't tackle the core issues, is what I was getting at. The metallurgy job in itself is totally unrealistic and more suitable for an RPG server and you're right in saying that the way car thefts are done now is a problem; everybody has this unconscious knowledge of how to hotwire a car, you need a lockpick to break in as opposed to just smashing the window - and to top it off some of the alarm levels are bugged because they don't notify the police when someone breaks in like they should.

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, Mer Noire said:

I invite you to read the entire post. 

Why wouldn't it be available to illegal factions only? A legal faction can already set a business environment centred around car scrapping, players have the /vscrap command which allows them to receive 20% of the original price of the vehicle and moreover characters who wish an entrepreneurial path can already open scrapyard businesses by rising the 20% bar. 

My suggestion is to remove the ability to chop up car entirely from the current mechanics script. In this instance, there is no reason whatsoever to restrict scrapyards to illegal factions. Keep in mind there is more to this than just legal and illegal factions.

1 hour ago, mj2002 said:

My suggestion is to remove the ability to chop up car entirely from the current mechanics script. In this instance, there is no reason whatsoever to restrict scrapyards to illegal factions. Keep in mind there is more to this than just legal and illegal factions.

Adding to this; why does this need to be exclusive to illegal factions in the first place? It seems to me like this is just an attempt to create a monopolizable market without putting in the effort. It's like saying "I want to sell food but only my store should be allowed to do so!". Why can't individuals themselves create these scrapyards? Why should factions be held to different standards when it comes to appointing property? If you want your faction to have a scrapyard why don't you go buy one like literally everyone else? 

21 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Adding to this; why does this need to be exclusive to illegal factions in the first place? It seems to me like this is just an attempt to create a monopolizable market without putting in the effort. It's like saying "I want to sell food but only my store should be allowed to do so!". Why can't individuals themselves create these scrapyards? Why should factions be held to different standards when it comes to appointing property? If you want your faction to have a scrapyard why don't you go buy one like literally everyone else? 

Don't you believe it an already monopolised market considering that most of the car service owners are not part of legal or illegal factions? Like I have previously mentioned, allowing everyone to have access to this certain feature will only create a deficit regarding the roleplay centred around the illegal factions, because the leasing scheme is made that way. I don't honestly understand why a person would willingly go to a scrapyard to be paid in pennies. The reason behind a chop shop is so that the cars would be stripped off their essentials so that the parts could be sold individually, there is literally no benefit in owning a scrapyard unless you have connections with the underground world. 

This suggestion is created strictly for chop shops, which by definition is a location where stolen cars are being disassemble for the purpose of selling their parts, hence a suggestion addressed to illegal factions. 

Edited by Mer Noire
2 hours ago, Anselmi said:

Admins spectating might not be necessary, it can instead be applied for like supplier is, or something like that.

Unless you can come up with a suggestion to completely rehaul the chop shop and metallurgy system, then I don't see how mentioning that is even constructive. Of course it has problems, but so do house break-ins, the supplier system, the entire drug economy, prisons, ect.

There are other systems that need to be fixed more urgently, so I suggested a easy to implement fix that stops us from relying completely on garages, now that I removed the admins needing to spectate do you still have a problem with the suggestion? I do not see what else can be done.

2 hours ago, Mer Noire said:

Don't you believe it an already monopolised market considering that most of the car service owners are not part of legal or illegal factions? Like I have previously mentioned, allowing everyone to have access to this certain feature will only create a deficit regarding the roleplay centred around the illegal factions, because the leasing scheme is made that way. I don't honestly understand why a person would willingly go to a scrapyard to be paid in pennies. The reason behind a chop shop is so that the cars would be stripped off their essentials so that the parts could be sold individually, there is literally no benefit in owning a scrapyard unless you have connections with the underground world. 

This suggestion is created strictly for chop shops, which by definition is a location where stolen cars are being disassemble for the purpose of selling their parts, hence a suggestion addressed to illegal factions. 

Why factions specifically? This rules out illegal characters not part of a faction.

2 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Why factions specifically? This rules out illegal characters not part of a faction.

While car theft rings are almost always part of larger organized crime in the real world, it’s stupid to say you need to be in an illegal faction to own a scrapyard or chopshop. 

6 hours ago, mj2002 said:

As eTaylor mentioned, a car theft ring is part of a later organised crime and it is literally impossible to operate an entire car theft ring as an one man army. Not only you will need to have the whole city linked, but you wouldn't be able to conduct business on your own because bigger crime groups would eat you alive. I think the lack of roleplay fear coming from certain players will also represent a huge impediment.

• mj2002 locked this topic