Let us chop cars without mechanics

Shekh

Just now, Zealot said:

With this I'd also like to suggest that tow trucks should only be used by actual mechanics or the PD instead of almost every criminal.
I don't think it's realistic that they can just tow any car that's on their list from any club or bar with barely any risk.

Last time I saw a random tow truck towing a Massacro just next to the PD around 11am Server time.
It wasn't parked in the red zone or anything, with a PD cruiser just down the road facing it.

As of now you can just buy a truck, tow a car somewhere safe to break into it.
Which makes the Alarm System, Locks and Anti-Theft irrelevant.

At this point I don't even understand why I buy those upgrades when they can get bypassed so damn easily.

But a BIG +1 for the scrapyard script. 

As someone who got their car stolen 2 times within 5 days with all possible security by a towtruck I highly appreciate the first statement. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Nervous said:

Initial suggestion is denied for obvious reason - the goal is indeed not to use legal garages, but garages which are just here to have shady operations. You have to make your contacts.

I'll think about splitting the two though, and i'm happy to collect the feedback.

It should still be easier for factions to chop cars, garage leases barely go up. 

If the two are splitted, there should be a way for illegal facs to apply to get those garages/scrapyards completely seperate from the garage leasing system there is now. Because garages are barely up for lease, and just because you want to chop cars doesn't mean you want to run a garage with several mechanics.

30 minutes ago, Shekh said:

It should still be easier for factions to chop cars, garage leases barely go up. 

If the two are splitted, there should be a way for illegal facs to apply to get those garages/scrapyards completely seperate from the garage leasing system there is now. Because garages are barely up for lease, and just because you want to chop cars doesn't mean you want to run a garage with several mechanics.

I entirely disagree that factions should be mentioned here. Anyone that RP’s an illegal character should be able to get cars chopped, regardless of faction affiliation. 

I am going to start off by sharing my own experience regarding the interaction with the garage owners and how the approach that was chosen in order to participate in an illicit operation involving the subject in question is deficitary — I completely disagree with the fact that the only location an illegal faction can operate a car theft ring is at a garage, simply because the garages are commonly owned by individuals or groups of individuals that do not want to associate themselves with other factions.

Moreover, realistically speaking, the garages would not be the organised crime groups' first option, but rather a front business. The OCGs would not jeopardise their entire operation by operating in plain sight — indeed, a garage in an obscure location might work, however an ideal location and/or business front would be an automobile graveyard and fortunately we have dozens scattered around the map. 

Coming from an illegal faction standpoint, I believe that our main concern is the fact that we face a lot of limitations — there are what, half of dozen of car services that are mostly owned by people that roleplay law abiding citizens? Most of them will immediately turn down the any possible offer. I believe that 1.) the garages leasing scheme needs to be changed in such a way as to prioritise the illegal factions and or 2.) a new scheme available for tenured illegal factions that provides access to graveyards and junkyards and or 3.) a new system that allows OCGs to deliver the cars to certain locations (e.g. the docks) in order to be exported via containers. 

Another subject that I wanted to point out is the fact that a chop shop system similar to LS:RP would not be feasible, and the main argument to this is the huge selection of vehicles that GTA 5 offers in comparison to GTA:SA. I believe that the system should be revamped in such a way as to involve a financial outcome based on different car categories, rather than limiting the group to a list of vehicles. 

tldr; implement the car graveyards for illegal factions

I support this fully. 

It’s extremely hard to come across dirty mechanics that are willingly to chop vehicles in the city and that right there creates a drought for car jacking roleplay. 

There’s no incentive at the moment to engage in car jacking roleplay. Huge risk, little to none reward. 

This suggestion here can allow illegal roleplay characters to take on a new hustle and overall bring in more opportunities. 

We already have enough work to do with the amount of reports that come in and the entirely admin-reliant house breakin script on top of it. The last thing we need is yet another system that relies on admins to function properly.

Honestly, I'd be coming up with ideas to completely overhaul the metallurgist job and chopping system within it because, at present, it makes no sense whatsoever. You chop cars for parts to make... knives, lockpicks and knuckledusters? Not really an accurate representation of why people steal cars and chop them for parts in reality.

It's definitely an area that needs some attention, but I don't think this is the right way to go about it.

• Applaud 1

I definitely agree that it's an area that needs some love. 

I made a request earlier this year for something similar, but it was more for scrapyard roleplay and legal chopping (obviously there would be room for illegal chopping too, but on the down-low and with the appropriate connections.) It would require a separate script that would need to delete the car forever after a certain number of car parts were given (maybe based on the value of the car?)    In essence though, this entails buying vehicles for just above the /vscrap value and going about doing the RP to strip down vehicles.  These scrapyards would need to be limited and applied for similar to mechanic garages, and wouldn't have the ability to do any modifications, and this is mainly to avoid an overabundance of car parts/metal parts being pushed into circulation.   I imagine these businesses would be more willing to chop vehicles if it was worth it to them.. and if they trusted people enough ?  

3 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Why only for illegal factions?

I invite you to read the entire post. 

Why wouldn't it be available to illegal factions only? A legal faction can already set a business environment centred around car scrapping, players have the /vscrap command which allows them to receive 20% of the original price of the vehicle and moreover characters who wish an entrepreneurial path can already open scrapyard businesses by rising the 20% bar. 

7 hours ago, Mer Noire said:

Another subject that I wanted to point out is the fact that a chop shop system similar to LS:RP would not be feasible, and the main argument to this is the huge selection of vehicles that GTA 5 offers in comparison to GTA:SA. I believe that the system should be revamped in such a way as to involve a financial outcome based on different car categories, rather than limiting the group to a list of vehicles. 

As a little update that I have thought of overnight, I suggest the /vscrap percentage to be changed to a higher amount, while the car scrapping function to allow players to a 10% percentage of the market price of the car and 15% of the total amount of modifications. The players would still be allowed to keep their car after it has been scrapped, because otherwise it would be unfair, but their modifications, including XM radio, would be removed, unless the player has a CASCO insurance.

1 hour ago, Anselmi said:

You chop cars for parts to make... knives, lockpicks and knuckledusters? Not really an accurate representation of why people steal cars and chop them for parts in reality.

Well that is not a realistic representation of why cars are being stolen IMO. Most of the stolen cars are not sold later on, because it is almost impossible to change the VIN and or lose track of the numerous safety measures car companies take in order to prevent that. Most of the cars are being stolen so they can strip the cars later on for their aftermarket and custom parts and equipment. 

Edited by Mer Noire
  • mj2002 locked this topic