Vehicle Insurances - Reminders, advance payments & a grace period.

Flow

Short description: To have more frequent insurance reminders, ability to re-insure in advance, and a grace-period.

Long description:  The above more or less sums it up. There could be phone notification in advance, with follow-up reminders when your insurance is about to run out. There should also be an ability to re-insure in advance. Moreover, a grace period of 2 days is extremely reasonable to have as well.

Commands to add:  /call XXX could renew the insurance for the coming month in advance if there's 7 days or less before your insurance expires.

UCP based re-insuring system for vehicles just how we renew leases would be handy too.

How would your suggestion improve the server?

The changes are simple, easy to implement and will save a lot of headaches.

As it stands, the system is flawed on one too many levels. I've had two of my vehicles impounded in the last week simply because I didn't re-insure them for one day, obviously not on purpose. You cannot re-insure them in advance, you don't get notified about them until you sit in the vehicle. If they're spawned out and seen anywhere, one cold minute and you'll have them impounded for 2 days with a citation. Makes no sense. 

Edited by Flow
  • Upvote 1

You literally get reminded as soon as you /vget your vehicle, and it does not have insurance. There already is a warning in place. Take the L. You can literally check /vstats to say when you need to re-pay your insurance too.

"Remember to pay your insurance at the DMV!"

3 minutes ago, Humour said:

You literally get reminded as soon as you /vget your vehicle, and it does not have insurance. There already is a warning in place. Take the L. You can literally check /vstats to say when you need to re-pay your insurance too.

Russ is also correct about a huge majority of SD, there's around twenty four hours of leniency. Personally, I give people three days- just in case XYZ happens and you haven't been able to log on. We're all busy, right?

I too would like to see a feature where you can re-up your insurance a bit early to prevent these mishaps, however there's already a reminder system in place. 

A month is a pretty long time so I don't really think there's a huge need to pay in advance to make sure it's not running out and some inopportune time.

Even if it does, there's a phone number you can call to instantly re-insure provided there's enough money in your bank account.

57 minutes ago, Humour said:

This hasn't got anything to do with play to win, or taking L's.

For an example, I have a trucking company. Yes, I'm responsible for the fleet vehicles to remain insured.

Typically, I have an alert set for each vehicle as to when they expire, but I need a few hours to get IG and do the deed.

The members however can pull out a vehicle, not get the message since they're not owners and go about their day.

It's a very specific case indeed, but my point being having the ability to reinsure a week before it expires and giving a nudge to players that it's expiring soon isn't unrealistic by any means and wouldn't hurt nobody.

As for LEO roleplayers claiming they tend to grace a day or two, I can respect that however apparently not everybody's doing that. 
As mentioned in the OP, while my vehicle was perfectly parked, it was simply towed before being due for a day.

This has happened twice now, and I'm not fussing it OOC'ly because it's an IC issue.
But just the fact you can't do anything in advance, and your vehicles get impounded in a few hours of time after getting the insurances expired, it's most certainly annoying.

Edited by Flow
53 minutes ago, jarmin_russ said:

That and I think I speak for the vast majority of PD here. We won't impound your vehicle if it's expired in the last 24 hours to give you a chance to actually pay it if you've gone offline.

While that’s good, it’s not like that across the board. I’ve seen 2-3 incidents lately through FB that their cars were towed because of expired insurance. One such instance wasn’t even 24 hours. They bought the car in the morning and it was towed for no insurance in the afternoon. The penal code specifies that there is a leniency period, but it doesn’t say what it is. If that we’re clarified by the government and as such enforced across the board, this would be a non-issue. 

Just now, Saidin said:

While that’s good, it’s not like that across the board. I’ve seen 2-3 incidents lately through FB that their cars were towed because of expired insurance. One such instance wasn’t even 24 hours. They bought the car in the morning and it was towed for no insurance in the afternoon. The penal code specifies that there is a leniency period, but it doesn’t say what it is. If that we’re clarified by the government and as such enforced across the board, this would be a non-issue. 

? 

This hits the nail on the head further. Having no mention in the penal code allows officers to practically impound the vehicle no matter how long it's been. While one may argue that it's an IC issue, add to the fact that you can't insure in advance, one is more or less helpless.

It's a clear loophole. I've even had ex PD members tell me this type of thing goes on all the time, and they just laugh it off on TS. 

And this is because the fact of the matter is nobody bothers having a lawyer or filing a case themselves that'll take days when they're going to have the vehicle back in a couple days, and the sum is petty.

23 minutes ago, Saidin said:

The penal code specifies that there is a leniency period, but it doesn’t say what it is.

I'm not able to locate this in the penal code, unless you're referring to the clause about LEO discretion. 

On 6/2/2020 at 4:03 PM, San Andreas Government said:

910.) Officer Discretion in cases of non-felony charges shall be allowed to treat all penalties for these charges as maximums rather than statutory minimums, and may choose to opt for warnings, or lower penalties then stated at their own discretion. 

• mj2002 locked this topic