Server Rules: Questions and Answers

25 minutes ago, Zach.. said:

Why is the topic of Roe V Wade allowed to be discussed ICly, but then not allowed to be discussed OOCly? I dont understand the logic here.

Politics and religious topics are generally kept off the forums as they will devolve into flame wars. The forums aren't a vehicle for all discussions, rather most posts should be derived someway to GTAW. Perhaps it would have been better for that topic to be in off topic, however I think that considering the prevalence of this ruling and impacts on society at large, keeping these topics off the forums just helps to keep conversations focused and to avoid sensitive topics which can cause offence.

• Upvote 2
23 minutes ago, Zach.. said:

Why is the topic of Roe V Wade allowed to be discussed ICly, but then not allowed to be discussed OOCly? I dont understand the logic here.

more like why is it even allowed to be discussed IC to begin with. no one's rp revolves around abortion. no normal sane player roleplays childbirth. children do not exist on the server aside from people doing "/Do there would be a toddler on the couch" or "x1 newborn baby (goods)". no one's rp is ruined by roe vs wade being excluded by continuity. covid and ukraine vs russia were apparently too sensitive for the community and had no effect on the server's RP but then this topic is completely fine and very important even though literally fucking no one cared to rp anything related to abortion before the scotus leak happened

and ofc zani locks a topic that raises into question why roe vs wade is being allowed into gtaw (that continuity has described as a form of escapism of the real world, the same thing mentioned in the thread) given it seems to have encapsulated 80% of senate roleplay since the leak.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Zach.. said:

As a woman living in the states, it's a sensitive topic and a pretty scary one at that. I believe continuity is discussing amongst themselves and will give an update if it can be allowed to be a topic on IC matter or not. But in all honesty - I rather not see this in game. Yes, it's real and it's happening, but take it from my view - I might have my rights taken away (extreme side, probably won't be, my state can rule that it's MY choice, etc) - but the thought is still there. I rather not deal with it, and it will bring up unneeded drama. 

As for it being discussed OOC - Zani asked a lot of administrators on if it should be posted or not. A lot said no. IF we allowed it to be discussed OOC - we would need to be constantly moderating it, which isn't a huge deal as it falls under our scope of responsibilities, but it just seems like it would be a very... touchy/sensitive topic and not many of you are sensitive to the cause (not saying you guys aren't).

2 minutes ago, joshua said:

more like why is it even allowed to be discussed IC to begin with. no one's rp revolves around abortion. no normal sane player roleplays childbirth. children do not exist on the server aside from people doing "/Do there would be a toddler on the couch" or "x1 newborn baby (goods)". no one's rp is ruined by roe vs wade being excluded by continuity. covid and ukraine vs russia were apparently too sensitive for the community and had no effect on the server's RP but then this topic is completely fine and very important even though literally fucking no one cared to rp anything related to abortion before the scotus leak happened

and ofc zani locks a topic that raises into question why roe vs wade is being allowed into gtaw (that continuity has described as a form of escapism of the real world, the same thing mentioned in the thread) given it seems to have encapsulated 80% of senate roleplay since the leak.

Actually, a lot of people RP pregnancies and then abortion or miscarriage. It happens quite often than you really think. But I don't think it should be on the server, plain as that. That's my opinion too! 

There are a lot of people who might want it, as per Nightmare Night (community cannot make up it's mind if it wants us to regulate politics from the real world or not) - quote. It's still being discussed, and I'm sure he'll give an update here on if it'll be taken at least IC or not. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Wuhtah said:

As for it being discussed OOC - Zani asked a lot of administrators on if it should be posted or not. A lot said no. IF we allowed it to be discussed OOC - we would need to be constantly moderating it, which isn't a huge deal as it falls under our scope of responsibilities, but it just seems like it would be a very... touchy/sensitive topic and not many of you are sensitive to the cause (not saying you guys aren't).

i'm pretty sure people misunderstood what that thread was for. it was for discussing why the topic was being allowed in the community, rather than facilitating a pure OOC political discussion thread about it. i spoke to the person that made the thread and they confirmed that was the intention. just seems like people jumped the gun on what the thread was for

4 minutes ago, Wuhtah said:

There are a lot of people who might want it, as per Nightmare Night (community cannot make up it's mind if it wants us to regulate politics from the real world or not) - quote. It's still being discussed, and I'm sure he'll give an update here on if it'll be taken at least IC or not. 

from what i've seen? continuity management already made up their mind and will die on the hill of "but roe vs wade is AMERICAN!!!", despite the fact it doesn't actually encapsulate any important roleplay on the server - unlike other SCOTUS rulings i.e the one regarding firearm license regulation or civil suits related to miranda rights, those DO have a very big stance on the server and change existing precedents. this abortion ruling affects nothing. there were never any IC regulations related to this topic before the leak. it's such a weird thing to choose to sit and debate about. i'd understand it if children on the server were actively encouraged to be roleplayed, or had some kind of script behind it, rather than just a weird after-thought of "/me she has a baby in her arms".

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, joshua said:

i'm pretty sure people misunderstood what that thread was for. it was for discussing why the topic was being allowed in the community, rather than facilitating a pure OOC political discussion thread about it. i spoke to the person that made the thread and they confirmed that was the intention. just seems like people jumped the gun on what the thread was for

I'll get in contact with the player and ask them to make a more 'defined' thread of it being taken IC or not. And if they don't want to, that's okay too. It's a sensitive topic, which was why the gun was jumped on immediately. If I was in Zani's shoes, I probably would have done the same. 

from what i've seen? continuity management already made up their mind and will die on the hill of "but roe vs wade is AMERICAN!!!", despite the fact it doesn't actually encapsulate any important roleplay on the server - unlike other SCOTUS rulings i.e the one regarding firearm license regulation or civil suits related to miranda rights, those DO have a very big stance on the server and change existing precedents. this abortion ruling affects nothing. there were never any IC regulations related to this topic before the leak. it's such a weird thing to choose to sit and debate about. i'd understand it if children on the server were actively encouraged to be roleplayed, or had some kind of script behind it, rather than just a weird after-thought of "/me she has a baby in her arms".

It truly is up to them and I hope they do ask the staff team/community of how they feel about it too. I believe they are discussing with LFM too about the SCOTUS thing, so I'm sure Roe vs Wade will be discussed. It is a weird thing to debate on, I agree. And I completely understand where you're coming from. I think it will be ruled that it cannot be discussed, but again, I don't know 100%. I believe it's more sensitive than COVID, perhaps along the lines of sensitivity with the Ukraine/Russian war. 

I did nudge Nightmare Night about it, so we should have an update!

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Zach.. said:

@ShanksCan you please explain why abortion is allowed to be discussed while the Russian Terrorism and Covid Pandemic is not?

Abortion is something our senate rules on ICly atm and did also pass a bill almost a month ago, where there was no fuss about this. In terms of the covid decision and the war, it affects people a lot on a large global scale compared to this. I'm not saying this isn't negative or doesn't have large complications, I'm just stating the original reason for the blanket ban on covid and the war. Like I did say though, if it becomes an issue within the community that bothers a lot of people (the voting didn't seem to reflect that too much), then it's a discussion we can have again. But as it stands I don't wanna make that ruling.

• Upvote 1