Server Rules: Questions and Answers

4 minutes ago, Pillsbury said:

There is no actual ruling to my knowledge besides the one I made that depending on the severity, you should get "adequate" medical care. I don't think anyone expects anyone to know that a 13 inch needle that goes into your arm and puts special anti pain medication in, but I also (as an admin and player personally) don't want to see a /me that is just like "grabs bandage, puts it over GSW and seals wound".

If this is a specific question because a FR was made or a situation happened to you in-game, I ask that you be a bit more specific so I can address the question appropriately rather then being shuffled into a corner with an answer that I don't know was already made or not.

I appreciate you taking your time to answer some questions, genuinely.

This was regarding a situation, yes. A player was shot twice in the abdomen area and their role play consisted of using a bandage as a tourniquet on their chest, as well as pouring peroxide into their open stomach. They then slapped a bandage on it and called it a day.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:10 AM, Mistery14 said:

I'm not sure if it's been covered before, but I really want to know a definitive answer as to how exactly combat/fights should unfold.

What is a proper way two players should engage in a fight/combat? Does it happen through scripts only with the reliance of /ame for weapon scripts? Is it fine for one to /me a punch only for them to immediately do so via script? Or should the two players mutually /me before any scripted fighting/combat happens?

If an answer is found, I really believe it should be put to the rules so that people don't have to assume how it works.

Theoretically a fight can start just from someone wanting to press LMB or R. However, it's "courtesy" to do a /me so players know what is going on. If players are going to script fight, then whatever ends in the script fight happens. Someone can't say "Oh he was 16 and beat me up". If you use /me's, then it's whatever is natural in the RP. Hope that answers the question.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Zach.. said:

This was regarding a situation, yes. A player was shot twice in the abdomen area and their role play consisted of using a bandage as a tourniquet on their chest, as well as pouring peroxide into their open stomach. They then slapped a bandage on it and called it a day.

I'm no medical professional, but I don't think TQ's are suppose to be used on chests, that's what chest bandages are for (or whatever they are called). 

Specifically, I don't think I would want to identify what is rightful medical care and not, because medical care happens in all different ways and shapes and forms. This specific incident, I don't know if I would personally let it slide. But it also depends what happened after. If they were brought to a hospital, then the player (I don't know the situation specifically so I'm giving examples here) might of thought that was the best "medical rp" that could be provided. If they got up and said "Alright I'm good to go" and continued on with RP? I don't think that would follow under our guidelines.

I *guess* our current guidelines in a "tldr" standpoint to be "safe" at all points, is to get an EMT/BLS/First Aid certified person to help render aid, and then goto the hospital and have PHMC RP with you or NPC RP if they aren't on, with depending on the circumstances of injuries.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Pillsbury said:

Theoretically a fight can start just from someone wanting to press LMB or R. However, it's "courtesy" to do a /me so players know what is going on. If players are going to script fight, then whatever ends in the script fight happens. Someone can't say "Oh he was 16 and beat me up". If you use /me's, then it's whatever is natural in the RP. Hope that answers the question.

Thanks for answering and clearing a few things up - However I can't help but think that this should be clarified in the rules, people should know how they are supposed to engage with each other and not having to resort to figuring out themselves, because having to resort to figuring it out yourself is a telltale sign that something is not being clarified correctly, and so everyone is adapting by choosing what works best for them and testing the waters of what they can get away with, if it's not clear-cut.

If /me's are merely courtesy and not exactly mandatory to engage with other players in such a way (fist fights), I can't help but wonder about the confusion that it brings to other RP scenarios, such as gunfights. Realistically, in game, people rarely mutually agree on how they're going to approach fighting/combat. It usually start off with a single /me from one party followed by script usage, or no /me's at all and it's usually a mess of in-game and forum reports complaining about RP standards and poor escalation from the losing party.

I know the rules state that small firearms such as pistols and smaller SMGs can be scrolled, but in that case, does courtesy apply when it comes to /me's and firearms? This means, if player A wants to engage in a firefight with player B and engages player B with a /me, is player B authorized to just scroll their small firearm and gun down player A with no /me's whatsoever? Here's a little example of what I'd consider an okay interaction between two players on a server focusing on RP primarily, while making use of scrolling:

- Player A /me's: ** Aims his 9mm pistol at player B.

- Player B /me's: ** Notices the firearm being drawn and jumps back as he pulls out his own gun.

Let's face it, no one wants to drag a simple gunfight on into paragraphs of written RP, both parties are allowed to therefore shoot each other until either one is downed. This would be fine if it were the norm.

Yet it always seems like /me's are viewed as a loss in certain situations, because, it's all about fast reaction time using scripts and not roleplay. Roleplay hinders the usage of script, using scripts means less time spent in doing a /me'd action and a better chance of winning a fight/combat. This would make sense on a light-RP server where RP matters a little less. So I struggle to see where GTA W leans towards. Is it truly heavy-RP in all aspects, or are the fighting/combat mechanics leaning towards Light-RP a little more?

I really think that in any server and scenario claiming to be using heavy-RP, both parties should at the very least allow each other to react to /me's accordingly with their own before proceeding with an action, whether it's a scripted action or a continuation of /me's. Otherwise if you do not allow for that to happen, you guessed it, it counts as forcing your actions upon another player if you do not let the opposing party react to your action, which is powergaming. Powergaming which the server supposedly condemns.

To me, this is not so much a problem with players lacking a proper standard for RP, the playerbase are just people who are working with the rules they're being presented with and adapting to what they experience as a result. There's no real "poor RP standard" or "poor escalation" regarding fights/combat if there's no real standard imposed in that regard in the first place.

Edited by Mistery14

Hello, I was wondering in this recent announcement by @Pillsbury, we have a section called "What can I report" in regards to the rules.

I naturally thought any rule if broken is reportable as per how rules work. But notice that for example, rule "10) Robbing and Scamming" isn't listed as something you can report in this new announcement. Is that a mistake? If so, wouldn't it be better to remove that section and just state you can report any rule broken as per the rules page, otherwise you'll have to update that thread for every rule change, additional or retraction.

If it was intentional, then I'm confused to why if someone broke rules of /rob, etc whilst robbing you; Why it is you cannot report them. Maybe your intention was that it isn't an explicit list of everything reportable, but in that case it should at least link to the rules for the conclusive list.

Edited by KaythPlus
  • Upvote 2

Based on this report I filed that backfired against me, fear RP must be followed even if someone just mentions they are armed and they will hurt you, even if that information is not verifiable and they did not provide any other roleplay apart from dialogue, with no weapons brandished. Could we get a clarification on this please, if I'm getting my first warning in a year over it and potentially effect my administrative punishments in the future because of it I'd like to know exactly what the ruling is on the "stop i'll shoot you, so act scared" verdict. It sets a horrible precedent for future incidents in my opinion. We should not have to be forced to act scared over something that is not defined.

Edited by ChromaticDeath
  • Upvote 4
  • Applaud 1
12 hours ago, KaythPlus said:

Hello, I was wondering in this recent announcement by @Pillsbury, we have a section called "What can I report" in regards to the rules.

I naturally thought any rule if broken is reportable as per how rules work. But notice that for example, rule "10) Robbing and Scamming" isn't listed as something you can report in this new announcement. Is that a mistake? If so, wouldn't it be better to remove that section and just state you can report any rule broken as per the rules page, otherwise you'll have to update that thread for every rule change, additional or retraction.

If it was intentional, then I'm confused to why if someone broke rules of /rob, etc whilst robbing you; Why it is you cannot report them. Maybe your intention was that it isn't an explicit list of everything reportable, but in that case it should at least link to the rules for the conclusive list.

I honestly forgot to add Robbing/Scamming because we were going to define specifically certain points. But, it still gets covered under DM, FearRP & Safezone violations.. which are 90% of the reports we do get about people being robbed - scamming is a bit different obviously.

On the other half of the question of why not "every" rule, it's because then we have people reporting Common Courtesy Violations (for example) because someone went AFK on the side of the road for one minute because their dad/mom needed help (and we all know... if mom or dad screams "GET HERE" - you go). We have people finding the smallest and most petty violations that they can come up with, to report people. We have people *assuming* rules are being broken and don't even take half of the second to go ahead and read our rules to see if they are indeed against violations. So we make a standard, if its something that is a heavy rule break/something that *needs* to be reported, then they can. People looking to start petty arguing matches on FR's can no longer do that.

It might not make 100% full sense to a player (and don't take what I'm going to say the wrong way), but regular players don't deal with the surplus of 1000+ reports a day, or the petty arguments by players, or them trying to find every single small little way to get someone else in trouble, even when the player reporting a violation, did the same thing in "public" a month ago (this is also an example). So we have to slowly limit what we actually want to be dealt with and what *needs* to be dealt with by Administrators, compared to what people "feel" (due to opinions) should be dealt with.

Statistically speaking, we get more reports about small petty things then actual important reports that need valued time from an Admin. If an Admin is spending three hours a day watching chats go back and forth over a simple missclick because no one wants to be understanding or happy, compared to the people who just got DM'ed because they were saying "I don't like your shoes" - well, we need to weigh what is actually needing an Admin to look into, rather then spending time on things that generally don't.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

Thanks for answering and clearing a few things up - However I can't help but think that this should be clarified in the rules, people should know how they are supposed to engage with each other and not having to resort to figuring out themselves, because having to resort to figuring it out yourself is a telltale sign that something is not being clarified correctly, and so everyone is adapting by choosing what works best for them and testing the waters of what they can get away with, if it's not clear-cut.

If /me's are merely courtesy and not exactly mandatory to engage with other players in such a way (fist fights), I can't help but wonder about the confusion that it brings to other RP scenarios, such as gunfights. Realistically, in game, people rarely mutually agree on how they're going to approach fighting/combat. It usually start off with a single /me from one party followed by script usage, or no /me's at all and it's usually a mess of in-game and forum reports complaining about RP standards and poor escalation from the losing party.

I know the rules state that small firearms such as pistols and smaller SMGs can be scrolled, but in that case, does courtesy apply when it comes to /me's and firearms? This means, if player A wants to engage in a firefight with player B and engages player B with a /me, is player B authorized to just scroll their small firearm and gun down player A with no /me's whatsoever? Here's a little example of what I'd consider an okay interaction between two players on a server focusing on RP primarily, while making use of scrolling:

- Player A /me's: ** Aims his 9mm pistol at player B.

- Player B /me's: ** Notices the firearm being drawn and jumps back as he pulls out his own gun.

Let's face it, no one wants to drag a simple gunfight on into paragraphs of written RP, both parties are allowed to therefore shoot each other until either one is downed. This would be fine if it were the norm.

Yet it always seems like /me's are viewed as a loss in certain situations, because, it's all about fast reaction time using scripts and not roleplay. Roleplay hinders the usage of script, using scripts means less time spent in doing a /me'd action and a better chance of winning a fight/combat. This would make sense on a light-RP server where RP matters a little less. So I struggle to see where GTA W leans towards. Is it truly heavy-RP in all aspects, or are the fighting/combat mechanics leaning towards Light-RP a little more?

I really think that in any server and scenario claiming to be using heavy-RP, both parties should at the very least allow each other to react to /me's accordingly with their own before proceeding with an action, whether it's a scripted action or a continuation of /me's. Otherwise if you do not allow for that to happen, you guessed it, it counts as forcing your actions upon another player if you do not let the opposing party react to your action, which is powergaming. Powergaming which the server supposedly condemns.

To me, this is not so much a problem with players lacking a proper standard for RP, the playerbase are just people who are working with the rules they're being presented with and adapting to what they experience as a result. There's no real "poor RP standard" or "poor escalation" regarding fights/combat if there's no real standard imposed in that regard in the first place.

Ill bring up the clarification in the Staff Meeting this weekend, and then forward it up to Management 🙂

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, Zach.. said:

well that’s one good way to go into septic shock 

i think the standard is that any major injury should receive definite care, i.e player or npc treatment to a major hospital. and if you don’t, you adequately roleplay the consequences of webMDing a chest wound.

which is like, usually you’ll just die, whether it takes 2 hours or 2 weeks due to an infection can be debated from there.