Server Rules: Questions and Answers

23 minutes ago, Sixty said:

I wasn't even involved, but I do browse reports from time to time and I was just shocked at that response. I guess it's time to start a robbery crew because "crime doesn't have a time or a place" and "limiting crimes because of reasons such as 'in broad daylight' or in public places only causes detriment to the roleplay". It wasn't even a one-off for the report, that was a blanket statement on the position of the server admins. This is a dangerous road to head down. We no longer live in a "city", we live in a bubble of 800 people that's now IC only. Guess if I murder someone in Legion Square at 9 in the morning when there's only 100 people online and no one sees it, I get away with it lol. I can't wait for people to use that response as an appeal to unrealistic crime now, since population all IC.

The ambivalence around this particular subject is simply outrageous. Firstly, if crime doesn't have a time or place, why do we have designated crime-free zones on the server? Remove them, perhaps? And yes, the fact that this wasn't a one-off for the report, but a blanket statement, makes it even more grim. How are administrators giving such antithetical conclusions at such a largescale, and going unnoticed? 
The sheer magnitude of unrealistic scenarios this could unleash, if made official, is horrifying. And this is just an understatement. Possibilities are going to be endless. People will base their entire Illegal RP not on strategy/logic, but on how many people are online on the server at that particular time. 

While we're at it, will this rule apply to traffic as well? If we're supposed to roleplay the streets as being completely empty, it's not that unrealistic to have street races just about anywhere, at any time, or just hit 120 on your way to the grocery store, etc. This goes for a lot of things, if we ignore realistic portrayal of a living city based in Los Angeles and just treat it like an abandoned wasteland.

• Applaud 1

Solely whether its 'broad daylight' or dark outside shouldn't be a factor because of timezones. Say I had a timezone / schedule where the only times I could get online were during the server's daylight hours. Does this mean I could not engage in robberies and other criminal activities because I can't be on at that time? 

I do believe that things such as populated areas (like Legion square as mentioned earlier) should be a factor though.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Scrat Knapp said:

Solely whether its 'broad daylight' or dark outside shouldn't be a factor because of timezones. Say I had a timezone / schedule where the only times I could get online were during the server's daylight hours. Does this mean I could not engage in robberies and other criminal activities because I can't be on at that time? 

I do believe that things such as populated areas (like Legion square as mentioned earlier) should be a factor though.

Good point!

In relation to the last few comments, as members of staff we steer away from using the argument of it "being broad daylight" or "a populated area" now, and this has been the mindset of the majority of the admin team for the past two or so months. The reason mostly comes down to what @Scrat Knappmentioned, and that we are fine with characters being sloppy and making mistakes when breaking the law. We're going to keep our safezones list for obvious reasons but they're the only instances where location of the crime alone should be bought into question. That being said location can be supplemental to other things and be used to argue in different contexts (i.e. if South Central gang members heading out into Paleto to rob hunters, we frown upon that as being poor portrayal).

Edited by Dawn
2 hours ago, Dawn said:

In relation to the last few comments, as members of staff we steer away from using the argument of it "being broad daylight" or "a populated area" now, and this has been the mindset of the majority of the admin team for the past two or so months. The reason mostly comes down to what @Scrat Knappmentioned, and that we are fine with characters being sloppy and making mistakes when breaking the law. We're going to keep our safezones list for obvious reasons but they're the only instances where location of the crime alone should be bought into question. That being said location can be supplemental to other things and be used to argue in different contexts (i.e. if South Central gang members heading out into Paleto to rob hunters, we frown upon that as being poor portrayal).

I'm sorry, but what? Why are police/fire and government buildings a safe zone with this new approach? Safe zones literally contradict what you're saying. If you are fine with characters being sloppy everywhere else on the map, why can't a character be sloppy in front of a police station or a government building? Happens in real life, it's realistic. People make mistakes. Why is the police/fire station or a government building special where as the rest of legal RP'ers have to suffer because you're trying to appease criminals? You're now actually cherry picking where and when crime should happen and if you're all okay with people being sloppy, then these safe zones shouldn't exist. The airport, I'd agree with because of new players. But PD? SD? Government buildings? With the staff team's new approach, why do PD/SD/Government personnel get shielded from this newfound movement of allowing people to be sloppy but everyone else now has to suffer it? I respectfully disagree with this sentiment entirely. It's inconsistent and will only lead to further issues with the criminal side of this server.

In light of this new approach, I suppose its time to go start a robbery crew and rob people point blank in the middle of Mission Row (but just outside the PD safe zone because that makes it better). Since realistically populated areas have been thrown out the window, it'll be easy not to get caught when a city only has 100 people living in it. Realism be damned, let's get sloppy.

cc3fb61df5200eca518fe22adf03e073.gif

Edited by Numelo
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Numelo said:

Why are police/fire and government buildings a safe zone then? With this new approach, safe zones literally contradict what you're saying. If you are fine with characters being sloppy everywhere else on the map, why can't a character be sloppy in front of a police station or a government building? Happens in real life, it's realistic. People make mistakes. Why is the police/fire station or a government building special where as the rest of legal RP'ers have to suffer because you're trying to appease criminals? You're now actually cherry picking where and when crime should happen and if you're all okay with people being sloppy, then these safe zones shouldn't exist.

The airport, I'd agree with because of new players. But PD? SD? Government buildings? With the staff team's new approach, why do PD/SD/Government personnel get shielded from this newfound movement of allowing people to be sloppy but everyone else now has to suffer it? I respectfully disagree with this sentiment entirely. It's inconsistent and will only lead to further issues with the criminal side of this server. Time to go start a robbery crew and rob people point blank in the middle of Mission Row (but just outside the PD safe zone because that makes it better) because realism be damned, let's go be sloppy.

You're free to disagree with it but that is the direction that we're working towards and have been for the past two months especially. As far as I know this change in mentality was sparked from Illegal Faction Management. I personally don't have much more insight into it besides relaying what qualities we currently do or do not look for when dealing with the topic at hand. If you'd like to voice a suggestion we have an area for it which I'd recommend you voice your idea into if you would like to see change in this regard.

4 minutes ago, Dawn said:

You're free to disagree with it but that is the direction that we're working towards and have been for the past two months especially. As far as I know this change in mentality was sparked from Illegal Faction Management. I personally don't have much more insight into it besides relaying what qualities we currently do or do not look for when dealing with the topic at hand. If you'd like to voice a suggestion we have an area for it which I'd recommend you voice your idea into if you would like to see change in this regard.

Los Santos turned abandoned wasteland. Got it 👌

Edited by Numelo
53 minutes ago, Dawn said:

Instead of fighting it blind immediately, I’d like to followup on this statement and ask why this was sparked up by Illegal Faction Management, as this is obviously sparking a fire of a debate between the legal and illegal side of the server. It used to be generally poor roleplay to rob in realisticly crowded areas; and it still is. Should every legal character now be expected to carry a CCW + gun on him/her?

Why is this new approach being taken is my question, because it honestly makes no sense at all and will very obviously create more problems than it could even slightly solve.

5 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

Instead of fighting it blind immediately, I’d like to followup on this statement and ask why this was sparked up by Illegal Faction Management, as this is obviously sparking a fire of a debate between the legal and illegal side of the server. It used to be generally poor roleplay to rob in realisticly crowded areas; and it still is. Should every legal character now be expected to carry a CCW + gun on him/her?

Why is this new approach being taken is my question, because it honestly makes no sense at all and will very obviously create more problems than it could even slightly solve.

A more focused discussion on this issue can be found here.