Amendment to CCTV Rules

12 minutes ago, Jedbediah said:

Also, no* CCTV in the world comes in HD 4k full color so the idea of using recording software/shadowplay to act as CCTV STILL doesn't close Power/Metagaming windows.

The feature and the documentation that surrounds it is wholly insufficient and needs updating and changes.

*high capacity, it's all grainy black and white footage for storage related reasons.

HD camera footage is the industry standard these days. Most camera systems are digital, and analog ones still provide clear vision. 

On 7/18/2020 at 8:43 AM, Anselmi said:

Unless you have actual footage, the truth can very easily be distorted - and who are we to believe if you and the perpetrator give conflicting stories about what happened? We rely on the honesty of both players involved which is why you ultimately need the consent of everyone involved to corroborate what happened. You're right in saying that they can easily lie to get out of something, but that goes both ways. I can't really see any other way around it.

What you proposed gives a substantial benefit to people capable of recording, because let's face it - not everybody has a high end PC that can run GTAV and record simultaneously. That being said, I'm not personally opposed to using actual recorded footage in lieu of getting both parties version of events in hopes that they match up - assuming there's roleplay that precedes it for camera installation etc.

Logs can always be checked by admins if needed, no? If one party lies they can be punished for PGing.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:00 PM, Jura said:

If there is CCTV in the property, it's recording. Whether people give "consent" or not.

Shouldn't be a rule.

+

On 7/18/2020 at 11:43 AM, Anselmi said:

let's face it - not everybody has a high end PC that can run GTAV and record simultaneously. That being said, I'm not personally opposed to using actual recorded footage in lieu of getting both parties version of events in hopes that they match up - assuming there's roleplay that precedes it for camera installation etc.

^ Sorry, I personally cannot record all the time when i'm on GTAW. 

If there's a CCTV installed in a property interior? (Actual object) Then it is installed. They don't need your/anyone-else permission to operate it.

If a party has a footage of the thing happening, I dont think the offending party consent is required. In case where no party has footage and it comes down to a simple /do if the act was committed or not, then the two party consent can come into play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 1:39 AM, Nervous said:

I agree that if a party has one side recorded, they should be able to use it.

Thoughts @Notbond @Bjork @Canadian ?

This was used against me in a case, where the people that started the trouble somehow were able to record a shootout, but the club was unable to. And it was RP'd that the police (veteran detectives) couldn't find anything on the CCTV.

If people want to roleplay pulling out a phone and recording, fine. If not, then tough shit IMO.

But all establishments in today's society should have CCTV installed, and thus should be allowed to use it accordingly.

Edited by Jura
On 8/9/2020 at 8:39 PM, Nervous said:

I agree that if a party has one side recorded, they should be able to use it.

Thoughts @Notbond @Bjork @Canadian ?

100% agreed. If the establishment has role played CCTV cameras being installed, then it should be taken in-character and footage should be used.

Since the footage will actually be useful without consent, this will make CCTV cameras more useful to both civilian and LEO role players. This will encourage more establishments to RP security cameras and thus opens up more RP opportunities for security tech companies who install them.

Edited by Saidin

The thing is the honestly and attention to detail in replicating what a camera would see when it is proposed as IC evidence of an action occuring..

As a former DA, Attorney, and the likes.. I can honestly say that what most people think are the smallest of details, are sometimes the biggest in terms of court RP. Consequently, using such textual representations of video recordings usually ends up in both sides having to sacrifice details for their own good, either towards the good or the bad of the individual.  The administration does not have time to validate every CCTV claim, and I have seen people say "Oh we installed them" with no proof.. I've also seen people say "I had a dash cam" and when told that logs needed to be checked, they instantly recanted that statement knowing they never did...

It's a hard subject to simply trust everyone with, and those of us who actually are involved in using things like CCTV as evidence know that without the ACTUAL video recording from shadowplay (etc), it is going to be a hectic walk on the path of pleasing two parties who naturually are trying to one up each other.

I think  that if actual footage is provided, that it should instantly be used... If you cant record, well, that shouldn't allow others to be exempt from providing tangible evidence that something did in fact happen, and it was infact recorded.. The truth is the truth, regardless of our capabilities.

• Bombie locked this topic