Why is there a double standard surrounding VOIP Metagaming?

Trupiano

The only problem I have with criminals using VOIP and RPing it as radios is the fact that the vast majority criminals are not carrying radios on them when they commit crimes irl. I actually can't even think of any high-profile crimes off the top of my head where the criminal(s) were reportedly using radios. 

Not to mention the fact if it was allowed, you would have to allow anybody to join those criminals voice chats because they likely do not even have the capability to encrypt their frequency, like government does. Giving them their own private VOIPs is essentially "encrypted" radio from an IC standpoint. 

At the end of the day, this has been an issue which has been discussed for literally years. I don't think I've ever been part of a role-play community that it didn't come up on. If people want to MG, they're going to find a way to do it. The hope is that those people can be tracked down and banned. 

2 hours ago, Henning said:

Now, as far as I'm aware. If a faction or group of players are found communication over VOIP while RPing that is considered metagaming.

If that is the rule, bann me right now. I hang with friends all the time on discord. I don't want to lose social connection in order to gain a fake social connection. 

• Upvote 1

I don't see why it has to be radios, though. Tapping two buttons on your phone to call someone and put them on speaker phone takes a second. Not to mention if it's a car model from the past 6 years or so, it likely has bluetooth and whatnot. I don't have a fancy car irl, but I can still just hit a button on my steering wheel to call someone, and talk to them through the car speakers.

I don't personally like the idea of anyone using voip during RP at all, legal or illegal. I think everyone should have the same rules, and everything should be kept in text, and on the server. BUT if some people are allowed to do it, then everyone should have the option.

First Picture - Looks familiar? See the word "Text" and then the second word "Based" on there? 
I mean - it is quite simple: why should some have voice, others not?! You can always use common courtesy and RP takes time, when people are writing, that is the point of it. Making your life "easier", but the counterpart still has to do it by the...

Second picture - ...by the rules, which are clearly stated on there, taken from In Game Rules - 3) Metagaming. 

Should be easy to understand? 

Picture.JPG

rules.JPG

• Upvote 1