Restrict /vstats access to vehicle owner

Tree

Short description: Restrict /vstats access to the vehicle's owner

Detailed description: Currently it is very easy for someone to /vstats a vehicle without it even being unlocked. You can find out so much information from this- the main concern being anti-theft level. 

When someone who is not the owner of the vehicle goes to /vstats on a vehicle it should send a request to the owner to "/vstats confirm" to show the person the statistics. 

Commands to add: /vstats confirm

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? It's currently very easy to metagame information about a vehicle which should be obtained through IC means and then confirmed with /vstats (e.g. engine upgrades). This also will stop car thieves being able to know the lock, alarm, and anti-theft levels of a vehicle before trying to break in.

Whilst you could argue "just report anyone who abuses it" that's just not the point: if you can scriptly stop metagame without any other negative impacts then it should be done.

Additional information: N/A

Edit: point made by GHawkins- business and faction vehicles should allow /vstats for any personnel in the business/faction. I.e. anyone with keys to the vehicle should be able to /vstats. If a /vstats request came in then maybe it chooses the closest key holder to request for permission?

Edited by Horner
  • Upvote 4

I'm not going to support this suggestion as it stands. Why?

Because it would prevent me from checking the faction vehicle's insurance status, which I roleplay at least once a week by checking the papers which are kept in the glove compartment of the vehicle.

Now changing it so that /vstats only works when you are actually inside the vehicle is something I can get behind.

1 minute ago, GHawkins said:

Because it would prevent me from checking the faction vehicle's insurance status, which I roleplay at least once a week by checking the papers which are kept in the glove compartment of the vehicle.

Now changing it so that /vstats only works when you are actually inside the vehicle is something I can get behind.

Or a phone number that you can call and it tells you the status of your insurance.
Could be /call 208, or /call 209.

Like /call 207 renews insurance

/call 206 registers car.

You get the point.

Edited by Glitch
Just now, Glitch said:

You can work around that by calling a phone number, much like 207 to register. Not sure if it's already a thing.

For starters, I find that the inferior option to actually getting in the car and pulling its paperwork out to examine it. It should be there form an in-character point of view. So it'd be illogical for my character to whip out his phone to ask about the paperwork sitting not a meter away in the glove compartment.

Secondly, I am not the actual owner of the vehicles so last time I checked, it gives me nothing. The faction leader owns the vehicles, I am only in an in-character position that requires me to check the insurances and pass on when they are expired.

Although vehicles are accessible to everyone in the faction, going to mechanics and upgrading the insurance and such is reserved for the scriptwise owner.

Edited by GHawkins
6 minutes ago, GHawkins said:

I'll edit the suggestion to include permission for faction and business employees for their related vehicles. Good point! I.e. anyone who has keys.

10 hours ago, corsah said:

Or maybe make the performance information in /vstats avaliable to anyone and the personal information such as insurance, registration and security information visible only to the owner?

That's literally what this suggestion is AGAINST. People shouldn't have access to know anyone's upgrades. 

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic