Used car dealerships

Aellerix

I knew this thread was eventually going to be made. I am Omar Chavez owner of Los Santos Auto Group. Dealerships in real life are profitable. We are a fair market place, we have access to the same dealerships prices you guys have access to. Everyone knows what they paid for the vehicle and what they are comfortable selling with. We do offer a service to a players. It cost money to sell cars and some cars are less popular that others. You can end up spending thousands in ads trying to sell or look for a car. Yes its profitable as it should be. But iut

In terms of quality of RP. I wish I could make it a whole long process and bring people into my office. I bought a car last year was in the dealership for 4 hours. The fact is players collectively don't want ultra realistic dealership experiences in terms of time. I don't know what more oversight you want. I have to register my business, obtain a lease, find property.

xs4gF8.png

Lets make no mistake. People are tryna make it out as its just easy money. I put in hundreds of hours to grow this dealership couple of months. Fortunately my job allows me a lot a time at home to be able to afford to. I've put in the effort to run this like a real business making business relationships. I've sold just about 200 cars since I've started.

And in terms of Oversight there is plenty already. Admins already have a cap on leases they approve for Dealerships. IC Department of Finance does a great job of stomping out the illegal dealerships. And I can tell the people complaining have never bought a car themselves. Used car dealership IRL are not that different

Edited by Power
  • Upvote 1

You just said yourself, there's only little roleplay when selling or buying a car, cause people don't like to wait. And yet they are willing to wait for application to be approved in order to play on the server. So which is it? It doesn't need to be that long to roleplay really, just bit longer.

Edited by Engelbert

Hi, I am writing this by my experience of a car salesman (being some who actually roleplayed that). For about two months my company led the field of used cars, with more than 80 vehicles in stock and all I can say is that my daily profit was somewhere between 20 and 50k. I reached 100k maybe one or two times. Autopia became famous because the prices were right, which I can not tell about almost all the other dealerships.

I do not believe the administrators should not accept lease requests as long as the application is good enough. What I believe is that if dealerships want a balanced market, they have to ask for similar and normal prices. For example, look at the prices you (the author) offered for some vehicles. Also, you offered me 7k for a vehicle you could easily sell for 15k. You lowballed a lot of people, so I just don't believe you're the right man to speak about this subject. Anyway, I don't want to offend anyone, so I'll just keep this on topic.

In my opinion, people should think twice at how valuable their cars are. Then, the dealerships should offer a right, fair price for a vehicle and then sell it for a standard price instead of overpricing a vehicle. These two simple and easy steps would balance the used cars field and would reduce the inflation.

Another important point you have to think about is how much someone wants for a vehicle. People are settling up the market, then the dealership follow. Look how valuable Dubsta Sport and Rebla became only because people asked for too much.  

Edited by paulus
1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

You just said yourself, there's only little roleplay when selling or buying a car, cause people don't like to wait. And yet they are willing to wait for application to be approved in order to play on the server. So which is it? It doesn't need to be that long to roleplay really, just bit longer.

What? I clearly said my a lot of customers are not willing to wait. Some a very patient but a lot are not.  I clearly said I feel pressured by the players who come to my dealership to speed up the process in some way. I've had customers leave and get frustrated after not getting attention in 3 minutes. I was really clearl about that. Plus IRL Government mandated stuff like inspections, insurance and other government mandated stuff is what prolongs the process IRL RP is streamlined and sped up for a reason. Ain't nobody tryna roleplay doing their taxes. A lot of the mundane aspects of life has been streamlined to provide an more enjoyable experience for the players. You don't make 200k in 40 hours irl.

Edited by Power
  • Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, Power said:

What? I clearly said my a lot of customers are not willing to wait. Some a very patient but a lot are not.  I clearly said I feel pressured by the players who come to my dealership to speed up the process in some way. I've had customers leave and get frustrated after not getting attention in 3 minutes. I was really clearl about that. Plus IRL Government mandated stuff like inspections, insurance and other government mandated stuff is what prolongs the process IRL RP is streamlined and sped up for a reason. Ain't nobody tryna roleplay doing their taxes. A lot of the mundane aspects of life has been streamlined to provide an more enjoyable experience for the players. You don't make 200k in 40 hours irl.

It doesn't matter if your customers are not willing to wait. It's your RESPONSIBILITY to provide roleplay. 

3 hours ago, paulus said:

Hi, I am writing this by my experience of a car salesman (being some who actually roleplayed that). For about two months my company led the field of used cars, with more than 80 vehicles in stock and all I can say is that my daily profit was somewhere between 20 and 50k. I reached 100k maybe one or two times. Autopia became famous because the prices were right, which I can not tell about almost all the other dealership.

I do not believe the administrators should not accept lease requests if the application is good enough. What I believe is that if dealerships want a balanced market, they have to ask for similar and normal prices. For example, look at the prices you (the author) offered for some vehicles. Also, you offered me 7k for a vehicle you could easily sell for 15k. You lowballed a lot of people, so I just don't believe you're the right man to speak about this subject. Anyway, I don't want to offend anyone, so I'll just keep this on topic.

In my opinion, people should think twice at how valuable their cars are. Then, the dealerships should offer a right, fair price for a vehicle and then sell it for a standard price instead of overpricing a vehicle. These two simple and easy steps would balance the used cars field and would reduce the inflation.

Another important point you have to think about is how much someone wants for a vehicle. People are settling up the market, then the dealership follow. Look how valuable Dubsta Sport and Rebla became only because people asked for too much.  

From an OOC point of view, Autopia is the best out of all of them, by far. Huge stock, fair prices, great overall business. We have to remember that most dealearships are more like Denov than they are like Autopia. And it makes sense. Someone who has the chance of making a ton of cash and deliberately chooses to make a small amount is not being realistic, but rather stupid - from an IC perspective - so having dealerships lowball and overprice vehicles is as realistic as it gets. Yes, we were lowballing and yes, we were overpricing. Why? Because it worked. If I can get a house for $1 and sell it for $1,000,000, I'm not going to say no. That's a great deal for me. But that's not the point of this topic.

The point is that there's a million things wrong regarding and surrounding dealerships. The sped-up RP is one of them, but a small part of the whole thing. The money that goes into the owners' pockets is a huge issue. You're going to have small-town car dealers driving 10 Ferraris and you can't say it's not realistic, because the money is legitimate - althought it is not realistic. The problem is that there's no problem. Having someone buy 40 vehicles a day and sell them the next day is also an issue - car sales don't work like that in real life.

And yes, it can be argued that there's a demand and that it works. That's exactly the problem. The rules surrounding car sales and dealerships are so few, almost inexistent, and so vague that almost anything is allowed. Just because it happens and it works, it doesn't mean that it's realistic.

7 hours ago, Marksman said:

It doesn't matter if your customers are not willing to wait. It's your RESPONSIBILITY to provide roleplay. 

Clearly not reading what I'm saying. I never said I didn't do adequate RP. But there is not much to RP beside signing paperwork and transfer the payment. I do offer test drives and I genuinely try to sell the shit out of cars and I enjoy the rp of negotiating and salesmen. Like I love when customers and come in and ask about cars and take their time and give me the opportunity to sell them on a car but those guys are rare. Half of my sells are people just coming in and saying I want this car immediately. Obviously not how it works IRL you could spend significant amount of time just looking at cars. Going into them test driving.

And in terms of sped up RP. I see no one complaining mechanics don't take 4 hours to repair your car or that you don't have to serve 25 to life IRL in IC jail or apply for a mortgage to get a house or sign a lease for an apartment. IRL everything isn't bought with cash. It's never going to be a 1 to 1 emulation of real life. It should just be an enjoyable experience based in realism. And unlike most other businesses dealerships you get more traffic then a typical IRL dealership would get which makes things impossible at time, like 10 people walking around asking about cars. I bought my car in the largest city in the country and live and one of the most populated cities in the world. My experience at dealership you maybe have 1 other person there at a Used Car dealership. Maybe a few more at the certified dealerships like 3 or 4 in a waiting room.

4 hours ago, Aellerix said:

The point is that there's a million things wrong regarding and surrounding dealerships. The sped-up RP is one of them, but a small part of the whole thing. The money that goes into the owners' pockets is a huge issue. You're going to have small-town car dealers driving 10 Ferraris and you can't say it's not realistic, because the money is legitimate.

Like I said Sped up RP exist in every aspect of this server for example mechanics. That is just the reality of RP things are going to be streamlined.  I do the best I can but I also have to fit into the RP culture of the community and that is what the players want. Small Town? You understand Los Santos is a major metropolitan area and would consider to be a large city. And even so I know guys who make very good living just flipping salvaged cars. And I've made sure to go out of my way to progress in realistic ways to the larger dealership I am now since I know how much progression is valued. I use to just sell like 15k and 20k cars and maybe like 5 cars 10 between my business partner. Now on my best days have about 25 cars on my own and if my business partner is on we could have upwards of 35 cars. Slowly grew my inventory acquired more expensive cars. People can serve time for major felonies in a couple of days but how is growth unrealistic to you? What is funny is people who have actually bought a car know Dealerships are actually rips off IRL. Went to a dealership that wanted to charge me 35 percent interest on a car loan. Laws tend to favor them because of how much Tax revenue they generate.

And I make it a point to introduce myself to a lot of the dealerships and most of them are not like Denov. I was shocked when I saw his spreadsheet. I've netted less when I've been selling cars way longer than him and I've sold nearly 3 times the cars he has.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:51 AM, Shekh said:

This script could cost like 100k maybe, and you'd have to tell when applying for it the coords of the parking lot u want to use, so admins can see if its realistic. + They can deny new requests if they believe too many dealerships are being opened.

Dealerships are already an huge investment. And quite frankly OP has been straight up ripping people off on his spreedsheet. My profit margins are not nearly as large as his. I tend to buy at higher prices because I understand you need vehicles to make money and I want to keep them out of the hands of my competitors. You have to invest in the vehicles already and if you want to be competitive you profit margins aren't that large. You make the most money because of volume people are constantly buying and selling cars. I've spent millions on cars already. (Not all at once, invested, sold and reinvested over time.) There were times I would invest everything except for like 2k into cars.

Edited by Power
adding more info

A question to staff. Whats the benefit of limiting the number of well thought out dealership applications? The city has plenty of room for it, and more competition helps keep second hand cars affordable. If PM is more lenient with allowing these to exist (not artificially limiting based on how many there are already), it is also far easier to crack down harder on subpar dealership roleplay without creating gaps in second hand car availability.

I somewhat agree with the issue of dealerships appearing in random parking lots, but I honestly feel there's not really much that can actually be done about it. The only way to really combat dealerships in parking lots/garages would be to force them to move to indoor facilities, or places that actually look realistic for a dealership; but that would be hard to do anyway, as Rockstar didn't plan on RP being a thing and therefor didn't add 50+ different properties that are 100% perfect for a dealership to operate out of.

Now as for dealerships making "too much profit", I have to somewhat agree with this problem; but it's not really something that admins can combat...

If a player wants to sell their car and they take it to a dealership to sell/trade it in and they take $50,000 for a $125,000 car, that's on the player; there's nothing an admin can do about a dumb/desperate person... Just my honest opinion there.
I've been trying to sell my Dinka Sugoi with a Stage 4 engine, Stage 4 suspension, maxed out brakes, and Stage 3 locks installed on it for about 4 days now; most dealerships have been constantly offering me $70,000 - $80,000 for it, but I'm not desperate enough for money to let them take it for that cheap.

Edited by DylanJeter1