An honest discussion about the upcoming election

Trupiano

24 minutes ago, Notbond said:

Party member is just to register interest, it's not mandatory to apply to be a party member now, we don't expect to get too many people doing that. Party Leader will be the main person picked by us and they will be able to elevate others into high positions and recruit whoever they want into their party. The Party Executive role is more there so that we can help put groups of people together that may not know about each other (if they're happy with that of course). 

For the party member. To register interest in what though? The party's ideals? Would a party member just be someone who supports the platform and plans to vote for this party? Or are they expected to be actively participating in the political machine?

There have been a lot of questions in my inbox and on this different thread so I'll create a FAQ later. 

- Register interest in joining and being an active member in the Democratic or Republican party. These lists will be passed onto the party leader so that they are not starting from zero. 

3 hours ago, Notbond said:

There have been a lot of questions in my inbox and on this different thread so I'll create a FAQ later. 

- Register interest in joining and being an active member in the Democratic or Republican party. These lists will be passed onto the party leader so that they are not starting from zero. 

How do you expect people to blindly want to be party members if there is no electoral program, and why would everyone of us be limited to an electoral program that is patronized from OOC influence with only two options served to us? You do realize that you have a whole load of radical racist right wing characters in-game, and an aboundance of liberal lgbt characters, religious characters, influence groups/mobs that wish to put forward a person of interest, and so on? The elections should be an event to engage the community and boost roleplay but I'm afraid this system and choice will do the opposite. No political debate, no variety, nothing explicit.

Edited by Daquan Kingston
5 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Can you explain a little more about these roles? What is the role of a party executive and what is the role of a party member? Let's say you wish to have your character involved in the elections, but not necessarily as a candidate. Do you then apply for a role as party executive or party member? 

The executive branch of the party includes: Party leader, deputy, treasurer, council, HR and PR executives. All the ones that I've mentioned are elected by the party members(at least IRL). It is then the executive branch job, to select and present candidates, such as for mayor, districts representative, or even governor and president.

On 7/14/2020 at 10:08 AM, Notbond said:

Are these applications to be treated as IC or OOC applications?

I have another question.

What about characters who are not citizens IC? It's no secret that there's a massive amount of immigrant population in LS.  If anything I'd even argue it's at times harder to find an American character than it is to find European one. 

Will these be allowed to vote rule wise / script wise as anyone else or will there be some sort of a limit or control? Just curious. 

51 minutes ago, Memozzy said:

I have another question.

What about characters who are not citizens IC? It's no secret that there's a massive amount of immigrant population in LS.  If anything I'd even argue it's at times harder to find an American character than it is to find European one. 

Will these be allowed to vote rule wise / script wise as anyone else or will there be some sort of a limit or control? Just curious. 

Hadn't even thought of this, I have an alt who's on a work visa who would not be able to legally vote.

Some thoughts about it:

- Overall: I mean, it is a good concept and welcomed, that changes in the government are seen as necessary, and this is great, but: I see also, that if the Leadership is chosen, then he should have full responsibility in putting his team in place; also accepting members. Why? Quite easy - it should be RP-d, that you meet with people, get to know them, et cetera. Now - if you register yaself as a member and get it, you have no real opportunity to do that, as the Chairman. Why it is important? Easy - stupid takeovers by some people, who will group and say "We are not happy with your Leadership after one-two weeks, let us vote for new Leader. Our friend Max is good for it!" Yeah, it can always be limited, but when IC-ly it leads there, then -- that would be a problem. 

- When it comes to "who can vote", then let us be real - 90% of the player base is not from the US, so your logic is - we let the 10% vote? Most of the people play as immigrants, because they are not from the US. So - one player=one vote. That should not become an issue. BUT - what should be thought about: what about the felons and prisoners, who can not vote also in the US. I would go realistic there and would restrict that, but not who is a real American and who is not. It also leaves out the issue, that people will do alts (US citizens), who they only vote with. 

- When it comes to the two parties (Democrats/GOP), then this is a great idea. It was kinda stupid to make a Conservative Party in the US. When it comes to Green and Libertarian Party - NotBond mentioned that you can run individually as well later on, when elections come - then you can take the stances of those parties, which is cool. If we make four parties, it would just make it too colorful, imho, because there are people, who are interested in political RP really, but I am sure, that this number is clearly under 100, so we would have not a Green Party with 5 members - a Party should also have a bit of realistic amount of members, et cetera, not only the Chairman and five of his buddies.

- The party system by NotBond and admins is also good, because: This leaves exactly out the possibility, that some popular Russian mobster (no personal attack intended) won´t take over the Government as a Mayor; or send his Puppet there. Because if people are gathered in two parties, there will be more responsibility for the Leader to listen, and work also towards the realistic goals, what the respective Party´s are all about. Not some "Middle Ground Party", what was planned to be created by some people - which was purely made for popularity reasons: taking the best ideas from the right and left. 

- COO was chosen and I think, that the person for the job got it. The LFM should also think, how they will look at corruption in the office: what is realistic and what is not. Nowadays, IT IS pretty UNREALISTIC, that some mobsters will blackmail the Mayor of Los Angeles, so-- this is something, which should be taken into account. I am pretty sure, that the mobs will try to do that, and this would be unrealistic (I mean, meeting him and making some threats, et cetera). Of course, when the Mayor will do something shady and someone IC-ly gets some pictures and proofs and tries to blackmail like that - this is cool. My worry is only about the mobsters trying to start to extort the Mayor out of nowhere, like the extort businesses, which are 15 meters from Police Departments. 

- One more thing: surely should be taken into account and looked at people, who have done political RP in the server, and they should be given also some bonus points. I used like 600 hours of my character development around Republican RP, making events, talking with businesses, meetings, et cetera and that is just a slap in the face to just delete it all as it was never part of the RP. I am not meaning that I should be Chairman, which I do not want, but surely, we deserve a fair shake, who have tried to do some political RP. We were kinda active, but after the news, that the Government will not change anyways (in February or so), it was kinda de-motivating for a couple of months. 

- LFM should also look realistically at the events, which will be taken by both parties during the election cycle. I would imagine, that it is not far-fetched to say, meaning it is GTA, that some members try to go to the mob and pay some money to get rid of the opponents. This should be NOT DONE, because you DO NOT see politicians being killed right and left during election cycles in the US. Getting opposition research by spying and trying to make scandals, smears, is fine, but trying to assassinate (I promise you all, if it is not controlled, even IF IT is a PK - meaning the PK person can not be part of politics again) opponents will come in play. 

• Upvote 3
  • mj2002 locked this topic