The recent riots

xdthe

2 minutes ago, Jola said:

my guy, we have white power factions open right now on the server with nazi signs in their OOC topics and nobody gives a shit, if you want to talk about racism start with that.

My man - it is not quality RP if one cop says the n-word and a whole group goes on a rampage. Ya looked for an excuse to turn this violent and you got one, oocly god knows how old, rp-er saying smthg stupid. 

And when it comes to neonazis - the illegal fm should look indeed at their OOC posts and think about it.

Aside from the bad apple or two I LOVED the RP around the riots and hopefully it continues for the next few days with proper justification and OOC interjection if things get a little too silly.

All I hope for is that excessive force from the PD isn't reverted as soon as they realize their IC careers could be at stake, if you was around for the 2nd protest that unfolded at city hall you'll know what I'm talking about and unfortunately it ruined the majority of the protest's outcome.

EITHER WAY I'm looking forward to where it all goes, staff should allow it to progress naturally and not suffocate RP because it's a break from the boring bar-club-hopping RP everybody seems stuck to.

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
  • Applaud 1
8 minutes ago, Tsarna said:

My man - it is not quality RP if one cop says the n-word and a whole group goes on a rampage. Ya looked for an excuse to turn this violent and you got one, oocly god knows how old, rp-er saying smthg stupid. 

And when it comes to neonazis - the illegal fm should look indeed at their OOC posts and think about it.

I think people should be allowed to role-play protests and riots as they please, the only problem is is that it is rarely properly role-played. In addition the police don’t really have any resources to control a protest or riot, nor do any of them have training or experience dealing with hostile crowd control. This leads to chaotic and disappointing experiences. They should honestly only be allowed if there is a way to ensure role-play quality and if the police have the tools required to respond.

This is interesting to me as the riots highlighted the issues of miscommunication (especially between PD and SD) and poor training/resources, do the IC ramifications of that not excite you? What could this lead to, and how can it change the LSPD/LSSD? Whatever one may think of the original incident, the fallout is certainly going to be exciting and I can't wait to see what happens next.

I don't even particularly think it was a poor escalation considering the socio-ecomomic dynamics, wars have started over less.

Edited by HaveADream
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, HaveADream said:

This is interesting to me as the riots highlighted the issues of miscommunication (especially between PD and SD) and poor training/resources, do the IC ramifications of that not excite you? What could this lead to, and how can it change the LSPD/LSSD? Whatever one may think of the original incident, the fallout is certainly going to be exciting and I can't wait to see what happens next.

I don't even particularly think it was a poor escalation considering the socio-ecomomic dynamics, wars have started over less.

The IC ramifications are great, I just wish administration would’ve stayed out of it. There was little if any benefit from the moderation on scene!

1 hour ago, Tsarna said:

if you see people being racist OOC, report their posts. but saying there shouldn't be white supremacist or skinhead movements in a state modelled after california is ludicrously ignorant. we had this naysaying bullshit back in 2011 and we don't need a resurgence. 

1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

I think people should be allowed to role-play protests and riots as they please, the only problem is is that it is rarely properly role-played. In addition the police don’t really have any resources to control a protest or riot, nor do any of them have training or experience dealing with hostile crowd control. This leads to chaotic and disappointing experiences. They should honestly only be allowed if there is a way to ensure role-play quality and if the police have the tools required to respond.

Agree. The thing is indeed - people who fck things up by destroying, rioting: no experience needed. Well, I mean, they should at least know that attacking police officers with a hammer is assault with a deadly weapon, meaning you most certainly might get bullet holes for that, dont really matter who ya are.

But the police - they do not have the resources nor people, who really know a lot about getting riots under control. 

Did the crowd who went nuts over n-word and started going on a rampage with hammers gave good quality RP - no, not at all. 

I think it was a nice change for once, an event that'll be a highlight for many of the players and characters involved. It definitely seemed like a stressful situation for PD, SD and FD though, especially because it happened very quickly. Now some say it all started with an n-word, some say it dates back a few days where someone was shot by PD. I personally don't know much 'bout the backstory and I also completely missed the riots yesterday, but this was bound to happen one way or another. It's obvious that the South Central residents and factions see police as a threat, or vice versa. I think that the police on this server are very different from police IRL, for one, they are less racist here. There's a lot less at stake for police here, for instance there's less tension in situations. This basically means there won't be many incidents where cops randomly shoot a black man (presumably out of fear for their life) or use racial slurs, it's also because we're always making sure that we follow in-game rules and randomly shooting a black man would fall under DM, racial slurs might fall under provocation. On the other hand though, characters roleplaying in South Central kinda view everybody as a threat, not just the police. So it's very easy to jump at a threat when faced with one, it's why we see more shootouts happen down south. So really, it doesn't matter how it started. Roleplay is almost a reflection of real life, and this riot was inspired by the recent real life events.

IRL, a riot wouldn't start because a cop said the n-word, that happens way too often for it to be a riot starter, at this point it would just be insignificant. Real life riots happen over a very long period of time, years and years of police brutality and systemic racism, but this server is small compared to the real world so things are gonna turn out differently, cops will be judged for far less serious offenses.

Edited by 35mm
  • Upvote 1

The riots didn't start because my character addressed someone with the nword, although it amplified the violence.

They started in the wake of that with two deputies who shot and killed two unarmed protesters, one of which actually wanted to character kill for us.

I don't mind confusion and despair being part of the IC mix of information to the point where you don't know what even happened anymore and the court of public opinion drives the end result. Whether it results in my character being reneged by the Sheriff's Department or not doesn't concern me because I'm here to provide quality police role-play and a character who grew up in South Los Santos and went to Davis High isn't going to have qualms or reservations when he's getting mad dogged in his own neighborhood, especially when he's as short sighted and simple minded as I make it be.

Administrators having to step in every few minutes last night and talk in global chat about the riots and where they are of course made people seek to get in on the fun. By then, we had characters who make no sense to even step foot anywhere in South LS drive trashmasters in up to 60 cop characters. But my actual experience with the primary illegal faction involved was cool, given the circumstances.

Yes, all the random mallrats joining in on the riot really made sense. /s

Seriously, people who never step foot in South Central, and never have *reason* to, were showing up by the middle of the primary riot. If they had simply become observers, that'd be fine. Or maybe started their own "protest" away from the angry rioters, that'd be fine. But instead, these people, who, mind you, had no real idea of what was happening, just... Joined the rioters. I distinctly remember these random white characters trying to drive lifted trucks into one of the barricades. Numerous times. 

So, honestly - didn't have much fun. Just felt like a chore, namely because of all the randoms who show up and pay exactly 0 attention to their roleplay, or their characters. Unfortunately, this has always been the case in GTA RP, and as such, riots are hardly ever really that fun for the LEOs involved. Especially the poor SOBs who sit on the perimeter only to get ran over by Trashmasters out of the blue.

If only the RCV's water cannon worked...

• Groz locked this topic