The recent riots

xdthe

If it continues to be roleplayed as it is, I think it's great.

It was ORGANIC and wasn't forced by IRL events, which for me is the selling point.

As long as it remains as well as it has been and doesn't just turn troll, then I think it'll be great for the server.

Obviously, this is just my PERSONAL opinion.

• Upvote 3
Just now, Jola said:

One of the cops who murdered Floyd was black and I didn't even want to use that example because I don't want to downplay a serious situation over a stupid game. Just goes to prove that the issue was with the police and not the individual, an on duty cop should not be saying the n word in any capacity to a LARGE GROUP of African Americans.

Nobody is talking about George Floyd. That happened over a month ago. It's a bit dated to use that as justification to act like fools in-game, esspecially given the speed in which roleplay worlds move. Years of character development happen over the course of weeks, obviously due to the fact its a roleplay server. I could give credibility to that argument if people have actually been protesting about George Floyd's death and all that in-game since then but there hasn't been, at least as far as I've seen, a peep about it.  Furthermore, you keep saying things along the lines of "no cop would say the n word to an african american". You're partially right, a white cop wouldn't. The important distinction in this case is that the offending officer was a mixed race officer. I've witnessed black officers use that term to black individuals they've interacted with. Use of the word is common in African American vernacular. Anybody whose had any exposure to black Americans can easily see the term gets used a lot.  

The fact of the matter is that a black-mexican cop made soft use of the N word and people freaked out and started brawling and assaulting cops with dangerous/deadly weapons. That is absolutely garbage quality RP and only furthers a notion that people who RP as black can continue to pedal shitty stereotypes of black people via the characters they control. There's a common trend on this server that people who RP in Davis as black characters seem to think all black people do is say the N word, yell "fuck the police", and act violent. I don't know about others, but every experience I've had with a black character in Davis/Strawberry has left me leaving the interaction thinking OOCly "has that person ever even interacted with a black person?" because all they did was push stereotypes. The brawl on Covenant street, and then the later on riots, did nothing to improve those feelings.

On a large scale, I think the idea of having a riot/protest was cool. But I believe it was done for the wrong reasons. Perhaps I only have these feelings because I witnessed how it started so it tainted the whole experience for me? 

I had a great time. It was certainly a change for me OOC'ly, as I've never been a witness to something like that in the game yet. I was there as a simple bystander watching things unfold and ended up helping a few people who got hurt on the sidewalk. Experienced the shootouts from the beginning. It was thrilling and nerve-wracking at the same time. I'm excited to see what events unfold from the situation. I feel the DM was dealt with fairly swiftly and the RP continued on just fine. It was all very organic and not forced. You have no complaints from me.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mecovy said:

I mean I was there as a Dr trying to help people who got hurt, and ended up being attacked physically by one of the protesters, ran up and started punching me... a Dr who was helping his friends throughout the night... at least in my opinion, irl medical personal get respected and protected at protests I've seen as they're just there to treat injuries so it seemed like a lapse of quality to see fd getting downed etc.

This is literally what happens in the US. Police try to move in and help out situations and protesters just seem to pull them away or not let them. But that's controversial and I won't get into it, just my opinion. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

Nobody is talking about George Floyd. That happened over a month ago. It's a bit dated to use that as justification to act like fools in-game, esspecially given the speed in which roleplay worlds move. Years of character development happen over the course of weeks, obviously due to the fact its a roleplay server. I could give credibility to that argument if people have actually been protesting about George Floyd's death and all that in-game since then but there hasn't been, at least as far as I've seen, a peep about it.  Furthermore, you keep saying things along the lines of "no cop would say the n word to an african american". You're partially right, a white cop wouldn't. The important distinction in this case is that the offending officer was a mixed race officer. I've witnessed black officers use that term to black individuals they've interacted with. Use of the word is common in African American vernacular. Anybody whose had any exposure to black Americans can easily see the term gets used a lot.  

The fact of the matter is that a black-mexican cop made soft use of the N word and people freaked out and started brawling and assaulting cops with dangerous/deadly weapons. That is absolutely garbage quality RP and only furthers a notion that people who RP as black can continue to pedal shitty stereotypes of black people via the characters they control. There's a common trend on this server that people who RP in Davis as black characters seem to think all black people do is say the N word, yell "fuck the police", and act violent. I don't know about others, but every experience I've had with a black character in Davis/Strawberry has left me leaving the interaction thinking OOCly "has that person ever even interacted with a black person?" because all they did was push stereotypes. The brawl on Covenant street, and then the later on riots, did nothing to improve those feelings.

On a large scale, I think the idea of having a riot/protest was cool. But I believe it was done for the wrong reasons. Perhaps I only have these feelings because I witnessed how it started so it tainted the whole experience for me? 

Dog you clearly missed the point, it’s not about black white brown whatever, it’s about POLICE brutality my friend.

19 minutes ago, Shekh said:

SugarDavis: Parcitipates in shooting someone over a brawl which then organically turned into a riot
Also SugarDavis: WTF YOU CANT ATTACK US THATS DM

You must not understand how that meme works.

Also, you might need to get your eyes checked because I never even shot. I was trying to figure out what was happening then I had that dude swinging on me with a hammer. I pulled my gun and stepped back and by that point he was yeeted by some PD officer. 

10 minutes ago, SugarDavis said:

Wrong. This has nothing to do with sterotypes, in 2020. No cop would get away with saying that word. The cop did that which ignited a response, no we didn't rp protesting over George Floyd because nobody could, the rules disallowed anyone from doing that. People still roleplayed around it, now this happened which gave an IC backing to protest/riot also the fact that someone was shot, if you're not into it stay away from it, everybody else is going one and rping accordingly. 

Also I don't know what you're trying to say in relation to Geroge Floyd, the fight is still on regardless of it being a month ago. I was at a protest earlier today there's protest going on everyday in fact, until the cops are found guilty there will be, feel free to sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-jacob-frey-justice-for-george-floyd

Edited by Jola
Just now, Jola said:

Wrong. This has nothing to do with sterotypes, in 2020. No cop would get away with saying that word. The cop did that which ignited a response, no we didn't rp protesting over George Floyd because nobody could, the rules disallowed anyone from doint that. People still roleplayed around it, now this happened which gave an IC backing to protest/riot also the fact that someone was shot, if you're not into it stay away from it, everybody else is going one and rping accordingly. 

Wow, thank you for that comprehensive and well thought out argument which exactly addressed all my concerns. Consider my eyes opened! 

While this is an OOC platform — what the SD deputy did is completely IC. Though, something like that would provoke a larger group (such as the one at the scene) and people have been shot for things like that, and things even lesser than that. 

Just now, Jola said:

Wrong. This has nothing to do with sterotypes, in 2020. No cop would get away with saying that word.

In general this statement is false. In the situation? I can get why it would make some people mad but I don't really think it should be used as the crux to start attacking law enforcement, otherwise, Riot and people roleplaying around it looked fine to me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Groz locked this topic