Some changes for people who does extorting RP

Zayyy

6 hours ago, Zayyy said:

If someone is giving you death threats.. "I will end your whole career. We will burn down this shithole." Yeah, I will shoot them and then call 911.

This is your problem. What do you expect to happen at this point when you go that route? You think the associated members would just let you off the hook if you shoot at them and/or kill one of them? If you are a legal business owner, you think going head to head with a mob is a good idea? Come on now. 

I do agree that the situation favors the criminal group and I don’t think a CK should be approved so easily because honestly if the mobs are killing everyone, who’s going to pay them? There should be some more expansive rules on when damage is done to a property, how long they must wait before reopening. The damages must be RP’ly fixed, etc. I think this would help balance out the issue towards the right direction. I’ve seen this abused where they just open the next day like nothing happened. That’s not right either. 

Edited by Chief
  • Upvote 2
On 6/28/2020 at 11:42 PM, Zayyy said:

Short description: Currently, if you say "no" to the people who came to extort you? They can kill you and burn down your business. Like really, they can do that. That is really unfair towards the other party. They cannot do such damage to the extorting party. The business party should be ABLE to CK the people who are coming up to extort them. 

Detailed description: Right, so we all know how "Extorting" works on GTAW right now. The extorters always have upper advantage on you. If you say yes? They get free cash from you every week or every day. It depends on them? Anyway, if you say no? They can kill you / burn down your place. BUT.. the question is.. what shit you can do to them? Nothing, you can just PK them or snitch them to cop (Which rarely works) The business party should be able to CK the extorters so this create more FEAR in their faction. Right now? The extorting RP is not really the best. You say no, they burn down your business. If you kill them? They come back after a few days with more people. The people who you killed? They will be back too, eventually. The same circle again. So.. that's why we need something to do the same damage.

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: N/A

How would your suggestion improve the server? This would make the things more fair for both parties. The extorting PARTY is really OP right now with only advantages..

Additional information: This is just common sense and fair play for both sides. If you hate this? You're probably part of illegal faction and you don't want any risks for your character when they approach business owners to extort their ass off.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:45 PM, Jessa said:

10/10

I can't agree more about this

+1 Supported!

If done decently, work it out IC.

If not;

Report the extortion attempts that are poor. Report the improper escalation.

On the flip side, report the store owners for lack of fear and poor portrayal if they pull a gun on the mob, or other such criminal enterprises.

The tools to combat this issue are already available, and pretty simple to use too.

On 6/28/2020 at 7:56 PM, Nervous said:

What's difficult about installing CCTV and reporting them to the cops? This is an IC issue, CK are always handled on both sides if needed.

They're going to buy a mask and do whatever they planned to do in the first place. The cops don't handle extortion as they would in real life because of the time-zone difference, lack of tools and personnel (it's still hard, but way easier in real life for the police to investigate a mob, than it is in-game) and if you call the cops and report extortion, you'll either be turned down for lack of any evidence or, if you do have something, get an incident report filed and have to wait forever until the investigation is complete - point at which some people may go to jail but most likely, you're either bankrupt or dead and your business is burned down.

There have to be regulations surrounding extortion, on both ends of the spectrum. Both parties should have advantages and disadvantages, on an OOC basis. Currently, whoever chooses to extort someone has nothing to lose besides, maybe, a PK or getting beaten up, which means nothing on an OOC basis and only comes back to bite the business owners and managers, once again.

Moreover, extortion should only be permitted on a case by case basis. Not everyone should be able to extort others. There should be regulations and someone should oversee this type of roleplay. My business has people coming by to extort - on a daily basis. Russians, italians, serbs, albanians, some black gangs that drive long distances to even get there, groups of friends (or even individual people). Soon enough, fifty percent of our clients will extort us and we can do nothing about it. There is no such thing as turfs, or no one respects them. Bring it up and you'll be told to deal with it ICly. Even more, unlike most people above, not everyone does it for the role-play. Most of it is not realistic. Kudos to Conti for keeping it that way, but the others? I've literally been told that I'm going to be extorted. For real, who comes up to you and says "You're now being extorted by me". Even more, I've been asked for crazy amounts - ten thousand dollars a week, fifty thousand a week. Like, that's crazy. I pay less to Denov, the corporate offices, than I pay to the mob? If someone comes and asks for 100% of the profit plus 10% from my own pocket, I have to do that? Or they have the power to shut down every single business by running them into bankruptcy? Giving people the choice of either burning their business and CKing them, or letting them run their business into the ground themselves? What's the point of even opening a business?

Because no, these factions don't stick to the realism, they don't extort businesses that mobs would in real life. They extort everything. May it be a barber shop, tattoo parlor, vehicle dealership, laundromat, or even a bank? Hell, they're soon going to extort PD and the Government and, in theory, nothing can be done about it. Just CK everyone and burn down Mission Row unless you're getting a million dollars per day. I'm clearly exaggerating, but this is getting out of hand and no one is doing anything about it.

On 6/29/2020 at 11:24 AM, Jax said:

You get extorted what? 5k to 10k over a week when you can make 20k a day.
When you pay to the faction that's extorting you, It's like protection. If any issues come by, you can talk to them, It gives so much RP, I see no reason for you to want to take out a gun.
Sure you can call the police but that's a risky thing.

this

On 6/29/2020 at 11:24 AM, Jax said:

You get extorted what? 5k to 10k over a week when you can make 20k a day.
When you pay to the faction that's extorting you, It's like protection. If any issues come by, you can talk to them, It gives so much RP, I see no reason for you to want to take out a gun.
Sure you can call the police but that's a risky thing.

5k - 10k per week is not that much. If your business is active. But paying 10k to 3 mobs, 5 gangs, 4 groups of friends going on extortion sprees and 10 more individuals with guns gets to be a lot. Trust me, I've tried talking to the ICly, generate that amazing role-play that everyone is talking about and all you're met with is an 'I don't care' or 'Then make more money' or 'Stop paying us and you'll have us on your back too' or not answering phones or texts. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't do much because they're already extorting every single business on the server, all of them having their own issues and enemies, plus their own faction's RP, plus their character's development aside from the faction, plus their real lives. It's not that easy.

Like really, if it's that easy, everyone can get three friends, develop their characters illegally and then go around extorting everyone. Imagine extorting 100 businesses, from potato dealers to nightclubs, to airports and skydiving companies. That's a million dollars a week. Easy money, no rules. They're also at ease because they know most people don't have enough evidence or knowledge to file a proper forum report on them and if everyone does it, you can't report everyone anyway.

7 minutes ago, Aellerix said:

5k - 10k per week is not that much. If your business is active. But paying 10k to 3 mobs, 5 gangs, 4 groups of friends going on extortion sprees and 10 more individuals with guns gets to be a lot. Trust me, I've tried talking to the ICly, generate that amazing role-play that everyone is talking about and all you're met with is an 'I don't care' or 'Then make more money' or 'Stop paying us and you'll have us on your back too' or not answering phones or texts. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't do much because they're already extorting every single business on the server, all of them having their own issues and enemies, plus their own faction's RP, plus their character's development aside from the faction, plus their real lives. It's not that easy.

Like really, if it's that easy, everyone can get three friends, develop their characters illegally and then go around extorting everyone. Imagine extorting 100 businesses, from potato dealers to nightclubs, to airports and skydiving companies. That's a million dollars a week. Easy money, no rules. They're also at ease because they know most people don't have enough evidence or knowledge to file a proper forum report on them and if everyone does it, you can't report everyone anyway.

If you're paying 3 mobs, 5 gangs and 10 groups of friends per week you should probably speak to one of the groups you pay "protection" to so they can solve your issue for you. 

Can't say from the factions I speak to that they extort all over the city, with each faction mostly staying in their own zone, getting to know business owners and even becoming friendly with them. 

• mj2002 locked this topic