Stop real life events from effecting the IC life within GTA World.

Hello everyone,

so recently with the passing of George Floyd, there have been increased protest-actions both ingame and on facebrowser.

Now that I certainly find the passing of a black male in the hands of a white officer certainly regretteble; we are here to escape real life.

Not so long ago, Los Santos Roleplay has banned any form of protest actions/movements that would mimic/reflect actions and/or organisations from real life happenings. They did this because many players fell victim to either;

- People abusing the racism slur (against yours truely included)

- People would abuse the situation to become extremely racist

- People would abuse the situation to address their own (anti-)racism agenda on facebrowser, instead of portraying their character's.

There are many people who are fed up with this. We are here to escape real life, and not to login and be confronted with the exact same thing.

Whats the point in playing then anyway? Like seriously. To be confronted with IRL we can just turn our PC's off.

I am suggesting to follow LSRP's exemple, with the post below. Thank you.

Hey all,

For the past three days, there have been protests in game in relation to the brutal murder of George Floyd. If you do not know what this is about, I strongly recommend you research it online. Knowledge on this subject matters, and acting on it definitely makes a difference too - as long as you do it right. On the 14th of March I made a post on roleplaying around the Corona Virus. Although Los Santos is based on Los Angeles, and there are parallels between our roleplaying universe and real life, there are thin lines between roleplaying things in game that's happening in real life against roleplaying things in game. Lately, these protests in game have been affecting a number of players in different ways. Some people want to see more of it, some people want to see less of it. It's turned into a complete chaos where we've got people shouting racist slurs in the riots and protests, and that's simply not okay, and not something I want to see on our server.

Like the coronavirus post, this is a message that seeks to stop the protests in game on an OOC background. Therefore, with immediate effect, there will be no protesting around the real life events and happenings. Anything that's to be protested in game is to stem from in-game events (it could be discriminating IC laws, police brutality, etcetera), and I'd love to see that happening as well. You're also not allowed to use the advertisement system to call people to your protest, unless you've got a protest permission from the Licensing Bureau. Since Los Santos is located in a fictive state, there should also be no roleplaying around the George Floyd murder, as that's not something San Andreas has been affiliated with in any way, shape or form.

Thank you for your understanding.

Enough is enough, its getting out of hand.

Edited by ThatDutchPerson
  • Upvote 2

This is a terrible idea that will insulate our game world from the real world far too much; it's already fairly unrealistically isolated because most people don't really research american things.

There's been George Floyd protests in Alaska and Hawaii, I don't see a compelling reason to pretend LS / San Andreas would be insulated from the rest of the US. How can you even roleplay any form of politically-involved character if you're not allowed to take into consideration what POTUS or Congress does?

The argument about escapism does not work; people roleplay characters that live very impoverished or outright decadent lifestyles that kill millions just in the U.S

Edited by arrdef
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

In that case, from what others have said, shouldn't we include  other events from real life and not just pick what we want to include and pretend others don't exist?

I'd like to see people roleplay the Covid-19 pandemic. Where are your masks and social distancing?

The debate doesn't have to be a choice between:

A) rp San Andreas is in a different solar system

B) include and fully roleplay any and all current events.

COVID wasn't roleplayed for the very specific reason that it would kill 60% of activity. It's for this kind of specific reasons that certain IRL events should be disregarded, and it should never be a matter of blanket policy.

Edited by arrdef
Just now, malutukilo said:

In that case, from what others have said, shouldn't we include  other events from real life and not just pick what we want to include and pretend others don't exist?

I'd like to see people roleplay the Covid-19 pandemic. Where are your masks and social distancing?

Time to tell people to keep their distance because of Covid-19.

If we're going to try and strive to be realistic then let's do that.

Let's get the neo-Nazi's out of Vespucci and force half of the illegal players to go legal. Because realistically that'd still be more criminals in Los Santos than in real life.

Just now, colorlessrainbow said:

There's a limit to portraying real life. Roleplaying the pandemic would be tiresome, opposite of fun and honestly not at all feasible.

Replace the word "pandemic" with "unrest".

It should be obvious that epidemics and riots are different things.

Civil unrest is:

a) geographically limited in nature (the entirety of LS wouldn't have been hit)

b) prone to being interacted with (cops, politics, community leaders, etc)

c) temporary

COVID-19 lockdown was unlimited in scope, lasted a long time, and would have restricted players to indoors roleplay.

Edited by arrdef