Active Roleplay Timer for Jobs

malutukilo

On 7/14/2020 at 11:01 PM, Chief said:

Definitely supporting changes here. I understand that people can abuse the hourly stipend pay, but that's why Admins exist to monitor for these issues and why the /report function exists to report those who are abusing it. People get kicked for being AFK/paycheck farming already, so why is this any different? Forcing someone to roleplay every 60 seconds for $4000 an hour is beyond crazy. Even in a player-owned business, as others have written already, sometimes things just don't happen that fast. Eventually, you're just trying to come up with something to keep the timer going. RP shouldn't be forced or it becomes a chore and defeats the purpose of why people are even playing. 

Can't say this enough.

It used to be every 5 minutes back during the winter and it was perfectly fine. Role-playing at a 24/7 is quite enjoyable but sometimes it gets super quiet and forcing players to write every minute is almost mental slavery. Especially considering you'll be the only one looking at your /me. Providing no entertainment or Roleplay to anyone.

+1

On 7/17/2020 at 4:13 AM, Sacred said:

Disagree. Great suggestion though, doesn't need to be done ASAP.

For reasons already discussed in this thread, I disagree. All this 60 second timer system does is promote forced RP for the wrong reasons and discourage people from even trying different avenues of RP. I'd say it's pretty essential to the long-term health of the server to remedy the issue sooner rather than later.

Edited by Chief
  • Upvote 1

Also to add onto the people saying, "It shouldn't be about the money, it's all about role play" ---

Then paychecks should be removed and every player immediately given enough from the start to be able to do anything they want. With the argument that it's all about the role play, money shouldn't be a barrier to something I or anyone else wants to do then. Now I'm certainly not advocating for this, but I'm making a point. Money is needed to get around in this server in many cases part of a character's story and IC motivations. So I find it ridiculous when people use that blanket statement that it's all about role play. 

I'll reiterate what I said previously:

On 7/14/2020 at 1:31 PM, Chief said:

Definitely supporting changes here. I understand that people can abuse the hourly stipend pay, but that's why Admins exist to monitor for these issues and why the /report function exists to report those who are abusing it. People get kicked for being AFK/paycheck farming already, so why is this any different? Forcing someone to roleplay every 60 seconds for $4000 an hour is beyond crazy. Even in a player-owned business, as others have written already, sometimes things just don't happen that fast. Eventually, you're just trying to come up with something to keep the timer going. RP shouldn't be forced or it becomes a chore and defeats the purpose of why people are even playing. 

Edited by Chief
On 7/25/2020 at 7:32 PM, Chief said:

Money is needed to get around in this server in many cases part of a character's story and IC motivations. So I find it ridiculous when people use that blanket statement that it's all about role play. 

Since when do these scripted jobs not give enough money? Perhaps your goals are unrealistic instead?

• mj2002 locked this topic