Active Roleplay Timer for Jobs

malutukilo

+1 The timer should be set to AFK if no /mes or /t or /l is detected within 5 mins.

RIght now it's currently ridiculous. I can easily spend two minutes listening, or observing, and it doesn't take it into account. Does an /ame even count??

The biggest problem with the current system is the interval; it wouldn't be such an issue if it were extended to five minutes or something that could be agreed on. I've seen a lot of complaints that people can role-play the whole shift and after three hours, they've only been paid for one hour. Most players I've spoken to completely hate this system because it feels like they're being punished instead of rewarded for creating opportunities for scenes.

As far as abuse goes, it can be abused now. Anything can be abused if people really want to spend time learning how to exploit it, but that's why we have members of the community willing to keep their eyes open to report any bugs/issues and members who abuse and game the system. Role-play is obviously the focus and most important part of the server, however, I can agree that some members like to greed for the cash but I would say most people who act in that way are pretty quick to be pointed out and handled accordingly by staff. I can definitely see this being tweaked and I sincerely hope the admins reconsider the previous changes.

• Upvote 1

The jobs are there to provide money, but they frequently feel like a punishment to prevent grinding.

Characters need money to function in game, so wanting money isn't bad.  These are scripted jobs that one is supposed to be paid for.

What's bad is when people abuse them, like garbage trucks speeding  like torpedoes around the city, driven by characters wearing completely inappropriate outfits for garbage collection.

EDIT:

And people who hide AFK in the back room of a 24/7.

And people who hide AFK with macros that make them jump and do a /me every 30 seconds.

When people are doing stuff like this, it's a SIGN.

It's a sign that the activity is so unenjoyable that they'd rather go AFK and risk getting punished than to do the activity the way it's been designed, or they'd rather speed through it and not rp it at all.

I think the rp jobs were a great addition to the server, and I think they facilitated more roleplay.  They also gave people a way to make money without doing the usual scripted jobs, like deliveries and so on.  

That said, I think improvements need to be made.  

Edited by jcat
expansion
  • Upvote 1
On 6/27/2020 at 11:28 AM, medo978 said:

maybe create your own rp while on shift so you don't wait for rp to come to you? if you just afk at a 24/7 doing 2 /me's you wont get jack shit 

Wait... I'm so dumb. I totally forgot I can spam /me breathes every 1 minutes. Thank you man.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:23 PM, jcat said:

The jobs are there to provide money, but they frequently feel like a punishment to prevent grinding.

Characters need money to function in game, so wanting money isn't bad.  These are scripted jobs that one is supposed to be paid for.

What's bad is when people abuse them, like garbage trucks speeding  like torpedoes around the city, driven by characters wearing completely inappropriate outfits for garbage collection.

EDIT:

And people who hide AFK in the back room of a 24/7.

And people who hide AFK with macros that make them jump and do a /me every 30 seconds.

When people are doing stuff like this, it's a SIGN.

It's a sign that the activity is so unenjoyable that they'd rather go AFK and risk getting punished than to do the activity the way it's been designed, or they'd rather speed through it and not rp it at all.

I think the rp jobs were a great addition to the server, and I think they facilitated more roleplay.  They also gave people a way to make money without doing the usual scripted jobs, like deliveries and so on.  

That said, I think improvements need to be made.  

Enough said right here.

I've worked roleplay jobs alot. It is tedious when people don't come in often, and I do think a happy middle-ground has to be reached but if the timer isn't tied to active roleplay then you're just going to have people watching Netflix and waiting for the next customer. Roleplaying with yourself get boring, I get it, but it's a better alternative to people sitting AFK in every shop when there's 100 people on the server because they know that no one is going to come in, and the worst thing that'll happen if they do is that they'll get kicked for AFK.

The systems in this game have to be designed in a way that isn't going to be actively abused by people. I do feel like the roleplay job could use a revamp of some kind to make is more enticing to players and balanced with the current economy. I also believe that revamp shouldn't actively reward players for NOT roleplaying.

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste

People, stop making this bigger than it is. It's just a request to increase the time interval of active roleplay, (From the last /me or sentence to the next). I wish I had 5 or at least 3 minutes to put out a sentence or an action.  I was in a restaurant full of people for three hours straight, I roleplayed cooking a dish and it just simply took a little for the next order to come. But it skips my mind to write a pointless /me just so my timer doesn't stop.

Edited by Gambler
  • mj2002 locked this topic