Government & Political Roleplay Discussion

Blöp

As Nervous announced before, we can expect an election system coming really soon. Personally, I am really curious about your opinion about political roleplay. The reason for this thread is to create a place where you can share ideas and concerns about political and government RP.

To start the thread, I will ask three questions:
1.) What do you expect from an in-character political party?
2.) How would you change the current politics in Los Santos?
3.) Do you roleplay any political identity in your character currently?

Please keep the thread civilized and avoid real-life politics.

Edited by liafriuli

I expect regular events, political lobbying and the like. Some far-left/far-right groups can even participate in protests and such. 

I expect a mixture between the standard Rep/Dem parties alongside a few out-there fringe parties. 

I think policy changes can include:

• Firearms Licensing Requirements
  • Guard Card Licensing Requirements
  • Limits/expansion on the rights of private security companies.
  • Introduction of Hunting Licences
  • Potentially variable tax rates on insurance/property tax (if that becomes a thing) especially for businesses.
  • Introduction of business vehicles as a classification. Allow vehicles to be tied to a company directly instead of to an individual who happens to work for a company. Can't count how many tickets I've given the poor Busch bosses over the weeks b/c of a couple of bad drivers.
  • Legalization/restriction on Unionization rights and what's considered legal forms of Collective Bargaining.
  • Pressure on PD/SD to reduce crime in certain areas or, in contrast, to lessen their focus on others to avoid upsetting the population.
  • Harsher/more lenient punishment for certain misdemeanours and traffic infractions.
  • Minimum/Maximum wage implementations.
  • Legalization of certain drugs.
  • Legalization and regulation of prostitution.
  • Public Works projects, temporary jobs that pay out to help improve infrastructure and such.

My character is currently aligned with the Republican Party, but that's more out of her own selfish itnerests than any real ideological alignment. 

• Upvote 2

Oversight of public corporations and agencies in general would be a great plus. This includes things like supervision in times of crisis, appropriations, confirmations, etc.
Grassroots elements and/or interactions with the public and the press. There are several news organizations that already do a good job at covering events and stirring up controversy. The union being set up among logistics / sanitation workers is also a good example of that.

Influence from real life politics — Nationwide crises should affect our game world unless there is a good (specific) reason not to roleplay it. The two big parties shouldn't depart too much from national platforms, especially when it comes to key ideological issues such as gun control or law enforcement.

All in all, political roleplay should strive to complement legal roleplay and be allowed to have real power in order to do that. Politics shouldn't be confined to a manor and a parliament chamber — And it shouldn't constantly be hamstrung by OOC factors.

Edited by arrdef
  • Upvote 1

First we get active players. 

Now to answer the questions.
1-I expect every political party to have a well developed electoral campaign. I don't want to see them support everything and have unrealistic ideologies. If you're being a republican party start working on a conservative ideology. If you're a democrat you can go ahead and work on liberal ideologies. If both parties have the same type of ideology, there will be no debate, no progress and electing someone will be just a question of "who of these guys looks more active IG?".

2- There are a lot of changes @Kassandra mentioned which I agree. But I don't agree that one elected corp can work all of those. It would be too much for anyone. Just a few would be nice. One at a time.

3-Political identity is what I briefly mentioned on the first clause. Every party HAS TO HAVE their own ideologies.  Working on campaign is not an easy task. You can't just go around saying you'll fix that and that, and fix everything. Believe me, whoever wants to be a leader at some point, you can't fix everything. That being said, focus on something major. Build your campaign around stregthening the economy for example, or build your campaign focusing on Social Services. "He who wants to do everything, will end up doing nothing."

Edited by Gambler

First step in my eyes is elections alongside an actual city chamber. Once that's done then whatever happens is ENTIRELY IC. But all hands should be on deck to get elections done by August, its been too long and its hurting business in my opinion, I appreciate from what I've been told this is the top priority, but if you can bash both city councils and actual elections out together, we will finally have a government functioning within the city and interacting with the city.

Political parties need to be realistic but also incorporating the fact that IRL the parties actually reflect their policies based on the demographic in order to win votes.

I hold no political loyalty, only a loyalty to whomever is actually prepared to work with my business and actually include me in the discussion for medical legislature. 

My main concern is about those who are knowledgeable enough and committed, everything else falls in line with what has been mentioned so far.

Everything that has been said thus far is something I can agree with. Political roleplay can have such an impact, and it can create so many opportunities. One thing that was mentioned, a chamber of commerce would allow the public to interact and spectate, this is actually apart of my character’s agenda as community engagement and transparency is important in-character-wise, especially for creating roleplay itself. I actually had a headquarters built for the Republican Party, which I intend to invite the public into for rallies, press conferences, etc. Just imagine the city council holding a public meeting to collect opinions and input on certain projects, people get turns speaking, a time slot and such, this happens in my city quite often. This will spark a chain of reactions, from the various media outlets we have, as well as specific groups or businesses.

Campaigns and ideologies are important. Of course populism is an option but it’s not all that fun in my opinion if we’re looking to create as much roleplay as possible. Those behind political characters will need to decide what their character’s beliefs and ultimate goal is when entering the race. For example, my character is in it for the long run, I’ve been building my character up for this for the last six months. He is an entrepreneur with very conservative economical/societal beliefs, so naturally his path began with joining the Republican Party a few months back, working his way up through the ranks, before taking over as Chairman. So far I am ready for the elections ICly. I’ve even gone to the extent of setting up a personal cabinet/advisers which specialize in subjects such as economy, policing and business/commerce, which something that is expected of most leaders.

Bottom line is that we need active people with dedicated characters for this to succeed, these Individuals need to be committed to their character’s goal and ideals, once we have that we’ll see fleshed out agendas, roleplay will follow in suit, the media coverage we shall see will be a big thing as well, hopefully we can organize some debates! I feel like this will turn out well. Participation will grow as time goes on, and more characters that are interested in or dedicated to politics will come out of the woodwork.

Edit: and of course events! Tons of events we can expect to see. 

Edited by NexusExodus
5 hours ago, mj2002 said:

The announcement that elections will be upcoming should help here. One of my characters wants to get involved, but there's nothing to be involved in right now.

I’m also interested in getting involved and also see a good opportunity for younger characters (over 18, but under 21) to become part of the political machine. Maybe as an intern, or an assistant campaign manager, etc. 

I'd like to see mallrats away from the government. Some business owners.. jumping around and somehow they become part of the Government? Nah.

+ Activity from the gov members.

The characters should be rather realistic. No members of the government should be trying to act Mr.Nice because it's a game and he/she wants to be a hero of the people. AKA, going around and using the cash from their pocket to support events and such. 

Edited by Zayyy
1 hour ago, Zayyy said:

I'd like to see mallrats away from the government. Some business owners.. jumping around and somehow they become part of the Government? Nah.

+ Activity from the gov members.

The characters should be rather realistic. No members of the government should be trying to act Mr.Nice because it's a game and he/she wants to be a hero of the people. AKA, going around and using the cash from their pocket to support events and such. 

"The characters should be rather realistic. No members of the government should be trying to act Mr.Nice because it's a game and he/she wants to be a hero of the people. AKA, going around and using the cash from their pocket to support events and such"

Politicians do this, all the time, in order to attain favouritism from the masses... However, it'd have to be aligned with their party's ideology. I.E. A Conservative or Republican party would not support an event that is pro-Abortion etc...

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic