Countersurveillance supplier role & Jammer

Omnia

Short description: Instead of countersurveillance equipment being mixed in with weapons suppliers [Which seems a bit of a hotfix] there should be a supplier role that one member of each faction can apply for. Also, add a jammer to jam... radio, phone, surveillance device signals.

Detailed description: Obviously this depends on the character and is not a given for every faction - Mexican gangbangers probably would employ extraneous ones whereas ex-military characters might take this role themselves within a gang [This would benefit Balkan and Slavic illegal rpers a lot]. Everyone is already able to use them, that's good, but a proper role could be defined which allows a character to focus on the use, education and importation of CS equipment.

A mobile jammer seems to be what is missing from the set and could be used in high level robberies to delay signalling to the police, or assassinations of police targets by stopping them from radioing for backup, or carried by a nervous mob boss to evade the omnipresent surveillance of the state.

Commands to add: /jammeron /jammeroff

Items to add: Signal Jammer

How would your suggestion improve the server? The signal jammer is a versatile tool for modern criminals. Shifting burden off weapon supplier role. Makes sense. Loads of criminals using countersurveillance IRL - a recent adaptation.

Additional information:

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Alexandra said:

Jesus is this Afghanistan now? Gangs are really bringing in paramilitary groups for extra muscle? What’s next? Adding air support?

nah.

I think you have the wrong impression of this, some counter surveillance equipment doesn't = paramilitary. IRL anyone with enough money can buy the equipment easily and learn how to use it, meaning a lot of higher level criminal organisations do.

Signal jamming in the U.S. is a pretty serious felony, and gets the attention of the federal government (FCC, DHS, etc) pretty quick. Not saying this is a bad suggestion but I'd hope if it is implemented in the future that the proper attention is given to it IC by law enforcement. Additionally, due to the nature of how a signal jammer operates they're pretty obvious unless operating at extremely low power. Even something in the range of .1 watt can see signals jammed up to around 10 miles.

Like I said, I think it's a fine idea I just want to see an accurate depiction of jammers (and their consequences) if they're implemented.

Just now, Alexandra said:

i would just worry about the hindrance of roleplay to surrounding, uninvolved players

**tries to call 911 to report a murder**
Your phone is jammed and you have no signal.
**moves 2 miles down the street**
still jammed

This would be a realistic portrayal of signal jammers, and why they're looked at as such a serious problem. It's also why you don't really see criminals using them in real life. The chances of an uninvolved individual in the surrounding area being affected, and then reporting the suspicious outage generally outweigh any benefit gained from the jamming.

It's kind of like screaming really loud to mask a conversation a friend is having. Sure, you mask the conversation but everyone in the area is now looking at you pretty hard.

Edited by sellophane
  • mj2002 locked this topic