Jail/prison as a more common form of sentence for violating the rules of roleplaying

marko

Short description: Jail/prison as a more common form of sentence for violating the rules of roleplaying

Detailed description: Players who would violate the roleplay would be jailed to the prison, as I saw similar approach somewhere else, with others players who violated roleplay, where they could brawl or role play whatever they want during the the length of the punishment ,  but only in a simple small cell with many other players. In order for the jail time behind the bars to expire, the player has to stay active in the server the entire time in a single small solitary cell between 4 walls with  all other jailed players. Like a half an hour, hour, two hours. It's actually a very effective form of punishment, as staying in a cell not doing anything creative is quite difficult and lesson-giving correction. For some notorious recidivist criminals the admin can opt to a lengthier jail time or a ban. On the other server I had to be like that imprisoned for 4 hours straight a clean time of being in the game. Which actually took me about a week IRL to accomplish, which taught me a hard lesson so I never repeated that action again on the given server.

Commands to add:

Items to add:  

How would your suggestion improve the server? admins could have a little less  work, as the jail would expire automatically and they would see recidivist from the history, lesser amount of players would be lost, and a higher rate of improving the behavior, as was proven at the other server

Additional information:  The admin would decide the length of the prison stay for an offender

Edited by marko

No. If someone breaks a rule, they’ll most likely just destroy someone else’s RP in jail. 

I can understand the point of the suggestion, but people who break rules most likely won’t care enough to RP if something like this was suggested 

Prison roleplay isn't a substitute for someone who doesn't respect/understand rules, the reason ajails are in place is for people to take the time to understand the rules. Whether they don't know how to properly roleplay, they don't get to cause prison roleplay to be sub-par, it's supposed to be a learning experience. If they are ajailed, they need to take the time out of character to learn the correct choice(s) that would prevent them from repeating the same mistakes.

Edited by Roach
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Roach said:

Prison roleplay isn't a substitute for someone who doesn't respect/understand rules, the reason ajails are in place is for people to take the time to understand the rules. Whether they don't know how to properly roleplay, they don't get to cause prison roleplay to be sub-par, it's supposed to be a learning experience.

Yeah, exactly, If I understand you well, you agree with me. The player in prison is not expected to roleplay at all, however is also not forbidden from doing so. The entire reason is to make the gameplay boring there. It adds to the server immersion imo, prisons get also an additional purpose aside of roleplaying to correct violating players. Player is motivated to improve, since he has an opportunity of doing so. And after achieving it, he will try to do better, as he doesn't want to lose something he achieved with his own big effort, otherwise he can be barred for a week real time. The players who were just noticed are still prone to repeat those action, those banned have no other chance, and in the end even those banned could actually turn out happen to become good and missable ones. Those jailed, are more effectively "noticed", than those just with a text notice not to be doing something  violating.

Edited by marko

It does not have to be literally a (IC) prison mentioned in previous comments, just as an example. You very well know that (strawman). 

How you want to suggest that you can roleplay while you read the rules at the same time, tell me.

It can be for example just some random ugly room spawned outside of the map.

One of the other 1000 rooms which are already in the map. That time has to server as a time in OOC not  IC as you imply it has to be IC time, paraphrasing you no no and no again, as also Roach typed above you, since one can learn roleplaying rules while being in OOC, in IC you won't learn the written rules.

What is the point to force roleplaying ICC with players who don't know how to do it?

On other side, even the best roleplayer in the server could by some action get to jail. It could be sort of a support discord in there. Or the criminals could be planning there during the time factions and plans.

I don't force them together, it might be an example, not feeling being alone in prison, so feeling others are going through the same thing, but anyone can be spawned alone in a solitary room.

Seems like you think they learn rules better when they get the eternal ban, than as when they are put together forced by the community and instead they have one/more opportunities to show they improved. Admins have less to thing whether to ban him, as it's not that final decision.

It does not matter they would be funneled, it's a common sense, that those who really don't want to would not learn it even if you paid them, but those won't try to keep no AFK in a closed room and leave, and those who want to get better, will have the opportunity while being there. While still feeling being  a part of the game as an encouragement, but having time to read rules in an overlay browser, or in in-game help. They don't have to improve at all, they can keep playing 5000 steam hours being enclosed by 4 tall walls, surely many of them will choose so.

There could be for example also an short asking test with the jail officer prior letting the player out. Let's not seek 1000 problems for every solution.

PS: players don't have to necessarily learn the correct roleplay per se, I was very good in it /me , "/do Shall he accept the push?"

Rather they have to contemplate in prison, develop brain synapses by being jailed, not to be offending recidivist, not to speed drive, brawl, troll, use some animations etc as it's not worth it waiting in jail.

Edited by marko

Maybe instead of a jail, they should be guided to a Discord channel where they can talk about their experiences and learn from other people in order to try and see if they can improve their situation for the future. Perhaps this is not applicable to all that are banned or kicked. But it could be an attempt to see if they genuinely want to improve, instead of kicking/banning them, and then hoping it will turn out for the better afterwards.

That being said, it would probably have to be assisted by volunteers. 

7 hours ago, Torlo said:

No no and no. Prisons are an IC thing, not OOC. If this were the case prison rp would be awful as all the players who are not very good rpers would be funneled in. God no.

^ Yes.

I really don't see how useful the jail thing could be. A straight ban or kick will convey the message about learning the rules to be part of the community. Forcing an ingame stay doesn't serve much more than wasting one's time and add unecessary features really. Nothing guarantees that this solution will be better at getting players to learn the rules instead of just forgetting about the server. I'd rather be tempban for a mistake than being forced to sit ingame doing nothing. Or worse: needing to RP a situation for OOC reasons.

I'd rather have a jail that is made of and for strict IC RP.

Edited by Lisandra

@Lisandra I wanted to imply that the OOC jail does not strongly imply exclusion of the OOC Jail, one can co-exist along each other. The existence of OOC jail solitary room, does not mean there can be not any IC jail yard or room separately, nobody except of admins would have access to the OCC jail, it could be some "sanctuary" in the sky high above.  But it is just a mine suggestion, so deal with it as you prefer of course.

Edited by marko

This won't be happening.

Players who are admin-jailed are intentionally segregated from the rest of the server so that they can take the time away from the game to read up on the rules that they breached. Slapping them in a cell with other people and letting them roleplay something that is inherently OOC won't be something that we'll ever be interested in doing as it would be counterintuitive to the purpose of an admin-jail sanction.