Realistic phone numbers

Blöp

I don't have anything against it but, for me, it seems like one of those "if its not broke don't fix it" type of situations. I personally don't have an issue with numbers now. 

Additionally, if this was in place you'd have loads of contacts being lost, unless there was some type of grandfather in system.

• Upvote 1

Support. I always thought 4-digit phone numbers were weird. If someone has a custom number, they should be given the opportunity to take a number of their choosing using the given format. It's otherwise unrealistic.

Area codes could be the next big thing but for that to be implemented, the map needs to be broken down into areas and each area to be assigned an area code. It would work in tandem with a payphone system, ideally.

Mixed feelings. 

In GTA V, numbers are like this:

Spoiler

c2IgH16.jpgFcirzkB.jpgGI7pI4w.jpgbljVnLW.jpgpvoEsIg.jpggM9jFcr.jpg

(XXX)-555-XXXX

The first 3 letters can be left out, as seen, suggesting that may be an area code. This wouldn't be necessary to dial during a local call, so forcing that into phone numbers seems unnecessary. Also, I don't like long phone numbers, 7 numbers seems great.

All my custom phone numbers are always 555-XXXX. That way, I try to be a bit realistic about it, and I also keep my phone numbers simple and easy to remember. If we put in 10 numbers, it'll be a chore to remember and to note down. 

I do agree that 4-letter phone numbers look off. It doesn't seem plausible. I tend to pretend that 4 letter phone numbers are just those with 555- added to them, but pretending doesn't make it so.

But, as someone else said:

8 hours ago, ZFusco said:

I don't have anything against it but, for me, it seems like one of those "if its not broke don't fix it" type of situations. I personally don't have an issue with numbers now. 

It'll be a chore to have to update everyone's phone number to this new format if it's forced. It's not broke, it's a tiny bit of barely noticable immersion. It doesn't need fixing.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:52 PM, khaled said:

Yes, it'd be nice to have area codes too. It could be depending on your residence or which store you purchased a phone from.

Area codes would be extremely useful. Having part of the phone number just be basic knowledge would make remembering numbers so much easier.