The problem of being new?

1 minute ago, Engelbert said:

I was always under impression that by the time people get here, they already know how to roleplay, after all isn't the application for that exactly? To determine whether or not your have been to roleplay already? Trust even "seasoned" roleplayers had issues with passing that point back in the days.

See that's interesting, because in that case shouldn't I have been able to join from the whitelist quiz? Surely I should have failed.. or been told I needed experience elsewhere to join? But that doesn't seem right.. I will admit it took around an hour for me to complete but It was just common sense, I forgot If there was even a question at any point asking If I had RPd before If so, would that be justifiable to turn down completely unexperienced players such as myself at the first hurdle?

So I joined the server very recently too, and while I had plenty of experience with other supports such as MMOs and all kinds of stuff, I do find that some of what has been said here is somewhat justified. GTAW is really a dense world with plenty of features, informations and mechanisms we need to quickly integrate. Some we could believe at first contrary to the established philosophy of what the server is.

The GTAW forums are filled with very useful, well written and pretty informative guides. Problem is: the forums are so huge that it is often pretty hard to browse through it all to find the right information.

Perhaps we don't need another guide, but just a list of links so that people can easily just access the most essential of them to get started?

Edit: I only read a few of the first messages before posting, and that has been suggested already, but still sharing my impressions!

Edited by Lisandra
  • Upvote 2
Just now, Luca Etienne said:

That would be really helpful, I can read that whilst I wait to get unbanned, Was supposed to only be 3 days but it's been 5 now ? in future I'll link new players to this thread so they can also use it! Grazie!

No need as they have been added to the page when a player has been accepted! 
@Bombie reached out to @HaveADream and I both. Let me grab those for you.

Mine are in my signature below, so I’ll grab Dream’s.

There is a difference between knowing how to roleplay and knowing how to use this particular system of commands. 

I have ove 10 years of rp experience but my first time I thought you used /s as say because that's what I was used to and ended up shouting at someone. 

I think this person is just asking for a better introduction to the system. 

I 100% agree. A guide might take time to make at first but it may cut down on admin time for bans and then appeals and just overall improve the community. 

One of the most common mistakes I see is holding people to an expectation that you haven't clearly explained.   

Im glad to see the admin team taking proactive strides in response to this!! 

Edited by TakeTwo
  • Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, TakeTwo said:

There is a difference between knowing how to roleplay and knowing how to use this particular system of commands. 

I have ove 10 years of rp experience but my first time I thought you used /s as say because that's what I was used to and ended up shouting at someone. 

I think this person is just asking for a better introduction to the system. 

I 100% agree. A guide might take time to make at first but it may cut down on admin time for bans and then appeals and just overall improve the community. 

One of the most common mistakes I see is holding people to an expectation that you haven't clearly explained.   

Im glad to see the admin team taking proactive strides in response to this!! 

There is a New Starter Guide here. This, along with another helpful one is on both the 'accepted' screen and the UCP tutorial for the server, hopefully, this will make it easier for new starters to the server soon.

• Upvote 1