The problem of being new?

On 5/26/2020 at 9:40 PM, Luca Etienne said:

So a few days ago I was banned for a lack of RP, I'm currently awaiting the ban to be lifted... But it made me think, after going through some other ban appeals to see if I was different to others I realised that a lot of the time, new players to the server that were also new to RP were being banned for a lack of convincing RP, after reading the descriptions, many of them were valid reasons to be banned, but most of them could easily be preventable. I have searched through the first 10 pages of the forums, and I can't find anything telling new players how RP Really works, maybe putting a tutorial into the loading screen could help? like I didn't know about /me and /do and /b for at least my first 15 hours of play. A friend saw a post where a guy was banned for walking away from an admin during a /b chat, but he didn't know that he was an admin. Instead of discussing with him and showing him how it was done, he was banned. I can no longer find this particular thread to share, but I feel like It was important.

My situation at one point was similar; And I think it gives admins a bad name, damn, even I thought the admins were bad until I learned that the guy who banned me was right, If I'm wrong on any of this let me know, If you have any potential solutions please share, and If you have any advice for me on how to start my RP better any advice is useful.

(If you want to see my ban find it under the lv.3 admin 'Thirteen')

also this is my fist post on general so I'm so sorry if I've got this all wrong ?

Thing is, I help new players with real basics, as my character deals in second hand cars I've met quite a few new players come to my lot to buy a vehicle. More over I've given then a few tips here and there. People who are showing the willingness to improve, will be helped by other players and the staff, I've seen an admin handle a report on a new guy, the new guy did show the willingness to improve the admin gave him a warning along with a few tips how to avoid the issue next time instead of straight ban.

I've even met a new player who's rp was good(knew /me /ame /do & anims), he was lacking the command knowledge of the server, other than that was very well in the roleplay department ?

Edited by Vash Baldeus
On 5/31/2020 at 12:00 PM, Omnia said:

They expect you to understand, have a 'basic understanding', when you come here. To them, the initial understanding which permits you into the server is of the framework of the server. The concepts of roleplay are simple at their core - it's the same as acting or writing a sole character with first and third person perspectives in mind, not hard stuff.  Again, a lot of these people think they are the best roleplayers and lack humility - so even if you attain a basic understanding of the framework, if you next end up roleplaying poorly for your first time, they will try to ban you for your quality, presumably because it upsets their entitled sense of immersion, rather than appeal to supposed community spirit.

That's not elitism, that's enforcing requirements to join.

Imagine if you go at 20 miles an hour down a highway on the left lane with your hazards on and the trunk of your car open with the seatbelt indicator incessantly pinging at you. Then when you finally steer into a ditch after the officer in the cruiser behind you has been screaming at you to pull over for five minutes, you go "Hiya officer, sorry about this but I have no idea how to use this thing. Is the accelerator on the right or is it the other pedal?", there's not a police officer in the world that would start explaining to you how to operate the car and let you continue.

You're supposed to know how to operate the car before you drive it, or have someone next to you that is in the process of teaching you. But you arrange that before you head onto the highway, not while you're already on it. And I keep talking in metaphors it seems, but GTAW is that highway where you already need to know what you're doing.

Setting realistic requirements and enforcing them isn't elitism. Considering everyone "unworthy" because they are not on your level that is "high above" the requirements is. Elitism is considering it bad roleplay to do "/me grabs the cup and takes a sip of the tea." as opposed to "/me wraps his index and middle finger through and around the handle of the blue Chinese porcelain cup, bringing it up to his lips and taking a gentle sip of the Earl Grey flavoured tea, which has cooled enough to not burn his lips or tongue but still at a pleasant 56 degrees Celsius." Both are entirely acceptable ways to say the same thing.

But not accepting  "/me grab cup and drink tea" isn't elitism the way I see it.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:00 PM, Omnia said:

Staff - why not launch interactive roleplay schools perhaps? Worked well on a past server I was in. Boosted the playerbase and faith in staff.

And this is an idea I could get behind. Because reading a guide usually does not work as well as actually getting thrown into a scenario with people that are either learning as well or are teaching. People improving actually get live feedback and such on their actions and how to better portray their characters. Especially if not just "what" and "how" are discussed but also "why".

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, GHawkins said:

That's not elitism, that's enforcing requirements to join.

Imagine if you go at 20 miles an hour down a highway on the left lane with your hazards on and the trunk of your car open with the seatbelt indicator incessantly pinging at you. Then when you finally steer into a ditch after the officer in the cruiser behind you has been screaming at you to pull over for five minutes, you go "Hiya officer, sorry about this but I have no idea how to use this thing. Is the accelerator on the right or is it the other pedal?", there's not a police officer in the world that would start explaining to you how to operate the car and let you continue.

You're supposed to know how to operate the car before you drive it, or have someone next to you that is in the process of teaching you. But you arrange that before you head onto the highway, not while you're already on it. And I keep talking in metaphors it seems, but GTAW is that highway where you already need to know what you're doing.

Setting realistic requirements and enforcing them isn't elitism. Considering everyone "unworthy" because they are not on your level that is "high above" the requirements is. Elitism is considering it bad roleplay to do "/me grabs the cup and takes a sip of the tea." as opposed to "/me wraps his index and middle finger through and around the handle of the blue Chinese porcelain cup, bringing it up to his lips and taking a gentle sip of the Earl Grey flavoured tea, which has cooled enough to not burn his lips or tongue but still at a pleasant 56 degrees Celsius." Both are entirely acceptable ways to say the same thing.

But not accepting  "/me grab cup and drink tea" isn't elitism the way I see it.

And this is an idea I could get behind. Because reading a guide usually does not work as well as actually getting thrown into a scenario with people that are either learning as well or are teaching. People improving actually get live feedback and such on their actions and how to better portray their characters. Especially if not just "what" and "how" are discussed but also "why".

I fully agree with this, today I've met a player at my lot, she barely knew the commands, but knew how to roleplay (speaking IC properly, go as far as actually taking the time to write the accent her character spoke! /me /ame /do) but any specific command like buying a vehicle or transferring money is something you can help out a player with but as long as they know how to RP ?

1 hour ago, GHawkins said:

Elitism is considering it bad roleplay to do "/me grabs the cup and takes a sip of the tea." as opposed to "/me wraps his index and middle finger through and around the handle of the blue Chinese porcelain cup, bringing it up to his lips and taking a gentle sip of the Earl Grey flavoured tea, which has cooled enough to not burn his lips or tongue but still at a pleasant 56 degrees Celsius." Both are entirely acceptable ways to say the same thing.

This!! lol

Edited by Raindance
Just now, Raindance said:

This lol!!

His not wrong though, you do not have to specify every bloody details of your RP, like the degrees and cup type, tea type can be scratched since they don't improve the RP except adding detail, and not everyone are as pedantic as I've seen.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Vash Baldeus said:

His not wrong though, you do not have to specify every bloody details of your RP, like the degrees and cup type, tea type can be scratched since they don't improve the RP except adding detail, and not everyone are as pedantic as I've seen.

yea i meant to say i totally agree with what he said

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, GHawkins said:

It's not going to work. It didn't work well at all on the server that was referenced in the post you quoted. It was forced upon players and it was counter-productive because of that. Players were either given the option to join a roleplay school - their technical denomination - or get force-apped, a system from that same server where players instead of getting permanently banned like they do here, they were forced to go through the application stage again if they wanted to keep playing on the server.

Learning how to roleplay is progressive and takes time. You may understand what you are being taught and you may successfully engage in the various scenarios you are put in but in the end you know they're all set up which is very different from live action and interactions with other players when you are on your own so essentially it's a useless procedure which takes nothing but the staff's time. Players learn from experience, something that can't be acquired in a matter of hours or any classes hosted by staff.

Edited by Shaderz
8 hours ago, Shaderz said:

It's not going to work. It did't work well at all on the server that was referenced in the post you quoted. It was forced upon players and it was counter-productive because of that. Players were either given the option to join a roleplay school - their technical denomination - or get force-apped, a system from that same server where players instead of getting permanently banned like they do here, they were forced to go through the application stage again if they wanted to keep playing on the server.

Learning how to roleplay is progressive and takes time. You may understand what you are being taught and you may successfully engage in the various scenarios you are put in but in the end you know they're all set up which is very different from live action and interactions with other players when you are on your own so essentially it's a useless procedure which takes nothing but the staff's time. Players learn from experience, something that can't be acquired in a matter of hours or any classes hosted by staff.

I'd accept a very basics school that explains more or less a couple of situation that a person might meet and how to deal with them IC, no need to go into uber details on that..

Hey guys I have 2 point to quickly say..

1. I Finally got unbanned after nearly 2 weeks from my 3 day ban...  YAAAAY

2. This Thread has opened my eyes alot.. I'm glad that people are having nice conversations and it's interesting to see older members of this community interact with newer members ? 

Thanks to you guys I've been able to have a second shot at this and I'm gonna take what I've learned here and properly apply it into my character ?

1 hour ago, Luca Etienne said:

Hey guys I have 2 point to quickly say..

1. I Finally got unbanned after nearly 2 weeks from my 3 day ban...  YAAAAY

2. This Thread has opened my eyes alot.. I'm glad that people are having nice conversations and it's interesting to see older members of this community interact with newer members ? 

Thanks to you guys I've been able to have a second shot at this and I'm gonna take what I've learned here and properly apply it into my character ?

Good luck! Remember to read guides if you're unsure or want a push in the right direction! ?

• Applaud 1