The problem of being new?

I understand the need to maintain a high quality standard of rp but we should definitely try and focus on finding a better way to deal with new players, being straight up banned and treated with little respect will just turn away a lot of players who otherwise may have taken a further interest in the server that could then eventually become good members of the community, we all started somewhere after all.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, TakeTwo said:

There is a difference between knowing how to roleplay and knowing how to use this particular system of commands. 

I have ove 10 years of rp experience but my first time I thought you used /s as say because that's what I was used to and ended up shouting at someone. 

I think this person is just asking for a better introduction to the system. 

I 100% agree. A guide might take time to make at first but it may cut down on admin time for bans and then appeals and just overall improve the community. 

One of the most common mistakes I see is holding people to an expectation that you haven't clearly explained.   

Im glad to see the admin team taking proactive strides in response to this!! 

Funny you mention that.
I have also released a new guide that is written for players from beginner to intermediate levels in that teach them how to roleplay with the lesson focusing on the community standards. As of yesterday it should have been deployed on the accepted application page. 

Since the free release by Epic Games, myself, and several players within the community have teamed up to help the staff manage the beginners the best we can. I'm currently mentoring three new roleplayers every day.

Here it is! ?

Edited by Bash

This is a great point:

Just now, my_g said:

I understand the need to maintain a high quality standard of rp but we should definitely try and focus on finding a better way to deal with new players, being straight up banned and treated with little respect will just turn away a lot of players who otherwise may have taken a further interest in the server that could then eventually become good members of the community, we all started somewhere after all.

I must admit after my ban on Friday I felt utterly disappointed, 30 hours In 4 days was the time I had spent Grinding In garbage collections, stores and other things to get a nice car and just over 100k in the bank. I didn't want to come back, I can only imagine that lots of people experience the same thing. Sometimes people make mistakes without knowing, specially if they are first time RP-ers.. the youtube face of roleplay is different to this.. I certainly wasn't expecting this level of RP... I'll get used to it, I'll certainly try hard or that will have been for nothing ?

1 minute ago, Bash said:

Funny you mention that.
I have also released a new guide that is written for players from beginner to intermediate levels in that teach them how to roleplay with the lesson focusing on the community standards. As of yesterday it should have been deployed on the accepted application page. 

Since the free release by Epic Games, myself, and several players within the community have teamed up to help the staff manage the beginners the best we can. I'm currently mentoring three new roleplayers every day.

Here it is! ?

I've Read Through It, can definitely say I'll be taking a lot of these points back into LS once I get unbanned ? You are what makes this community great bash! Grazie!

3 minutes ago, Luca Etienne said:

This is a great point:

I must admit after my ban on Friday I felt utterly disappointed, 30 hours In 4 days was the time I had spent Grinding In garbage collections, stores and other things to get a nice car and just over 100k in the bank. I didn't want to come back, I can only imagine that lots of people experience the same thing. Sometimes people make mistakes without knowing, specially if they are first time RP-ers.. the youtube face of roleplay is different to this.. I certainly wasn't expecting this level of RP... I'll get used to it, I'll certainly try hard or that will have been for nothing ?

Yeah man just take some time to learn more about the basics and you probably won't have a hard time getting unbanned. At the end of the day it is down to the player on if they want to take the time to learn how to be a good rp'er or not but the community and staff also need to take a better approach on the issue. I can't stand this roleplay elitist mentality that some people seem to have and it only sends people away with a negative impression of the server.

20 minutes ago, my_g said:

I can't stand this roleplay elitist mentality that some people seem to have and it only sends people away with a negative impression of the server.

I will admit I do get that Vibe from some of the people I've Seen, I think that some of the staff could work on this but it's not necessary, What I do think is important is that staff implement a new ban screen that isn't perma-ban because from what ban appeals I've read many people are outraged that they got permabanned immediately, having an immediate 3 day ban for what I want to call ''low level RP'' is good, I think it would be easier for a single rule to be placed down, so that none of the admins get any calls of abuse of power, and it would filter out those who aren't willing to improve, because those people wouldn't return after the 3 days, those who are truly sorry and willing to improve will join back once the ban is lifted. As for the elitist thing, sometimes to enforce such high quality you have to be harsh, I would assume that the admins lead by example, and if that is the case, I feel like it is justified. However this could seriously make this server not fun for some people.

My only concern about elitism is when people use the reason to ban another as ''Unsuitable levels of English''  As someone who learns French, I decided to join a French Minecraft server last year, I was okay, it helped me improve a lot, The French admins were extremely grateful to have some people who weren't French in their server, As a community I think there should be relaxed rules on this.. In society especially in Cities like LA there are so many different Nationalities That It is a viable RP character, I feel as long as someone knows enough English to interact with the staff, they should be able to Play as a Bilingual Character, This is also the same for grammar, If terms are shortened or colloquialised then that should be allowed... 

If there is an issue why we are unable to do this then please feel free to let me know ? 

A possible solution is have bilingual people on the staff team, replying to ban appeals and being in game, but not letting them necessarily have the power to ban or do admin work, I'd be happy to help with languages in that case I'm sure others would as well..

I might post this as it's individual topic in a bit

One thing people need to keep in mind is that not everything is or should be accessible to everyone at the start.

You won't become a surgeon without going to medical school. You won't become a judge without having studied law and having experience in the field. You won't become a general without having gone to a military academy. Exceptions to all these exist of course, but they are not the norm.

GTA World isn't the place to start on your journey of roleplay. I get the feeling that GTA World was meant to be the final destination for people interested in it, a place where people that already have experience can play together with high expectations of one another. This means that those that don't meet these expectations generally find themselves straightened out or removed.

Is it harsh? Yes and I have sympathy for the people that join with the best of intentions but end up hit with heavy measures. Looking back at how I was when I started roleplaying on LSRP back in 2009, I actually cringe at myself. Had it been GTAW I joined back then, I'd for sure have been banned. But LSRP gave me the opportunity to improve and learn and over the years I got better.

But the problem there was that the differences within the community were as night and day. You never knew if the person approaching you was going to provide you with a high quality roleplaying experience that really made you go like "Man, this was great stuff" or that person was going to do /me grab gaurd gun /coin heads /do i grab gun and shoot gaurd /b give gun don't pg (Not making that one up either).

On GTAW, I no longer have that fear in the back of my mind that I should be ready to counter such questionable roleplay because everyone is held to higher standards. The quality of the average player is much higher, resulting in a much more enjoyable experience for a whole load more people. And I think the administration team as a whole (including management) is determined to keep a massive difference between player qualities from manifesting. GTAW wouldn't have given me the same opportunity as LSRP did, to improve to the point where I am at now, but GTAW isn't meant to be the academy, it's meant to be the post-graduation job.

*edit: That being said, I realise I forgot to mention an important aspect on all this; on-the-job-training. Because that's what GTAW does allow. People that have the basics down and are comprehensible in written English get the opportunities to improve and find their way here. For these people, GTAW is a place to learn. My prior points were mainly aimed at those who are encountering (English) roleplay for the first time.

Edited by GHawkins
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Luca Etienne said:

I will admit I do get that Vibe from some of the people I've Seen, I think that some of the staff could work on this but it's not necessary, What I do think is important is that staff implement a new ban screen that isn't perma-ban because from what ban appeals I've read many people are outraged that they got permabanned immediately, having an immediate 3 day ban for what I want to call ''low level RP'' is good, I think it would be easier for a single rule to be placed down, so that none of the admins get any calls of abuse of power, and it would filter out those who aren't willing to improve, because those people wouldn't return after the 3 days, those who are truly sorry and willing to improve will join back once the ban is lifted. As for the elitist thing, sometimes to enforce such high quality you have to be harsh, I would assume that the admins lead by example, and if that is the case, I feel like it is justified. However this could seriously make this server not fun for some people.

My only concern about elitism is when people use the reason to ban another as ''Unsuitable levels of English''  As someone who learns French, I decided to join a French Minecraft server last year, I was okay, it helped me improve a lot, The French admins were extremely grateful to have some people who weren't French in their server, As a community I think there should be relaxed rules on this.. In society especially in Cities like LA there are so many different Nationalities That It is a viable RP character, I feel as long as someone knows enough English to interact with the staff, they should be able to Play as a Bilingual Character, This is also the same for grammar, If terms are shortened or colloquialised then that should be allowed... 

If there is an issue why we are unable to do this then please feel free to let me know ? 

A possible solution is have bilingual people on the staff team, replying to ban appeals and being in game, but not letting them necessarily have the power to ban or do admin work, I'd be happy to help with languages in that case I'm sure others would as well..

I might post this as it's individual topic in a bit

Well when you get banned and before you submit your appeal there is some information I think.
It tells people to wait 72 hours before submitting an appeal, so I assume what happens is the admin sees that it hasn't been three days, and forgets about it.

I'll be honest with you.....
The issue with relaxing on the standards of English as you mentioned is because it takes effect on the quality of role-play. It's honestly plastered everywhere and people even try to use translators to get around not knowing any English, but translators are worse than somebody just winging it. The standards have been the same even when GTAW would peak at like 40 players a day. There are 50k user accounts.. Any one can do it.. The staff just wants to see effort.

The thing is that yes the standards are high and it may not make it fun for some people, but this community isn't designed for everyone. More people come here for the standards than those who don't like it.. Some just need to try another community and get more experience. Those who come back with experience they learn how great the RP is and the detail. Those who stay here long term might try another server, but they won't enjoy it because they are expecting a certain quality that is hard to find.

The players and staff team would love to have everyone here that wants to be here, but unfortunately some just don't care to respect the standards. I'm sure its not easy having to remove so many people, but the player base would drop significantly if they didn't.

4 minutes ago, GHawkins said:

One thing people need to keep in mind is that not everything is or should be accessible to everyone at the start.

You won't become a surgeon without going to medical school. You won't become a judge without having studied law and having experience in the field. You won't become a general without having gone to a military academy. Exceptions to all these exist of course, but they are not the norm.

GTA World isn't the place to start on your journey of roleplay. I get the feeling that GTA World was meant to be the final destination for people interested in it, a place where people that already have experience can play together with high expectations of one another. This means that those that don't meet these expectations generally find themselves straightened out or removed.

Is it harsh? Yes and I have sympathy for the people that join with the best of intentions but end up hit with heavy measures. Looking back at how I was when I started roleplaying on LSRP back in 2009, I actually cringe at myself. Had it been GTAW I joined back then, I'd for sure have been banned. But LSRP gave me the opportunity to improve and learn and over the years and I got better.

But the problem there was that the differences within the community were as night and day. You never knew if the person approaching you was going to provide you with a high quality roleplaying experience that really made you go like "Man, this was great stuff" or that person was going to do /me grab gaurd gun /coin heads /do i grab gun and shoot gaurd /b give gun don't pg (Not making that one up either).

On GTAW, I no longer have that fear in the back of my mind that I should be ready to counter such questionable roleplay because everyone is held to higher standards. The quality of the average player is much higher, resulting in a much more enjoyable experience for a whole load more people. And I think the administration team as a whole (including management) is determined to keep a massive difference between player qualities from manifesting. GTAW wouldn't have given me the same opportunity as LSRP did, to improve to the point where I am at now, but GTAW isn't meant to be the academy, it's meant to be the post-graduation job.

*edit: That being said, I realise I forgot to mention an important aspect on all this; on-the-job-training. Because that's what GTAW does allow. People that have the basics down and are comprehensible in written English get the opportunities to improve and find their way here. For these people, GTAW is a place to learn. My prior points were mainly aimed at those who are encountering (English) roleplay for the first time.

I confirm that everything he has said is ACCURATE asf!

4 minutes ago, Bash said:

I confirm that everything he has said is ACCURATE asf!

Yeah I get it, I will try to continue here because I don't want to start again but I may have to spend a year on a different server and come back..

not the best situation but eh, what can you do?