Fix languages.

I see where you're coming from with this suggestion, but it comes down to simply reporting someone who is power gaming. If they're roleplaying understanding your language when they surely wouldn't be able to, submit a report. There's no need to have this system in place, because it doesn't cover tones of voice which are sometimes understandable despite not being able to understand the language.

If this was adopted and someone's message looked like (Serbian) dgsagklhasldkhglawiehgl8iaseg to disguise it, that would ruin immersion for pretty much everyone I'm sure. The majority of the player base here should be able to read someone's foreign text without metagaming it.

If you're speaking Serbian or for example a very rare Chinese dialect, odds are most people won't understand it. If you're speaking Spanish, there's a very high chance that someone around you, even if they're not of Hispanic descent, will understand it. We shouldn't be locked behind an OOC system to understand something our character can simply understand.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this suggestion if it's not focused on 1 language.

I in real life speak 3 languages used to speak in 4

I don't think that there should be limit what your character can or can't do in realistic margins of course.

So I think if I want to speak 4 languages I can. I had a lot of people saying I power-gamed my character knowing Russian but in fact I actually role-played learning Russian in course of 4 months and on wards. It started with my character saying "[Russian] No license no Brum yes?" to more adequate sentences like "[Russian] Can't drive with no license" and still the character is learning Russian language as my character is Italian American knowing Italian, English and Spanish <- Cause Police work in Alderney state.

I speak in real life in these languages freely.

Russian.

Latvian.

English

German - Don't speak anymore but still can understand some of it.

Edited by Archix
On 5/24/2020 at 8:05 PM, Sebz said:

I see where you're coming from with this suggestion, but it comes down to simply reporting someone who is power gaming. If they're roleplaying understanding your language when they surely wouldn't be able to, submit a report. There's no need to have this system in place, because it doesn't cover tones of voice which are sometimes understandable despite not being able to understand the language.

If this was adopted and someone's message looked like (Serbian) dgsagklhasldkhglawiehgl8iaseg to disguise it, that would ruin immersion for pretty much everyone I'm sure. The majority of the player base here should be able to read someone's foreign text without metagaming it.

If you're speaking Serbian or for example a very rare Chinese dialect, odds are most people won't understand it. If you're speaking Spanish, there's a very high chance that someone around you, even if they're not of Hispanic descent, will understand it. We shouldn't be locked behind an OOC system to understand something our character can simply understand.

I think something can be changed, so that the supporters and opponents of the proposal will be satisfied. Add to the character creation a column where you indicate what languages your character is speaking and from where he/she knows them (if there are more than 1-2 of them). Administration may not be satisfied with the answer or may find it too primitive. And also, perhaps a new rule and punishment for its violation.

• 3 weeks later...

We've planned to implement this system and you'll be able to select an additionnal language freely for your character. However more languages will be request based on forum. Still under discussion for final acceptance and we're waiting for more feedbacks.

Edited by Nervous
  • Upvote 6
  • Maple locked this topic