Fix languages.

3 minutes ago, DLimit said:

How does it not solve anything? Reporting the player will cause the admin to review their characters, in depth, before making a decision. 

We have around 300-500 players active within the server. Each player is granted a minimum of three characters. Now, imagine having to review the application requests for 600-1500  characters, rather than simply responding to ten reports of poor R.P. language portrayal.

Because if a player suddenly speaks the language that's being spoken there and then when RP is happening, they're basically metagaming what's being said and can then act on it.

Reporting the player and having their characters looked into won't be a fast resolution.

Just now, Jura said:

Because if a player suddenly speaks the language that's being spoken there and then when RP is happening, they're basically metagaming what's being said and can then act on it.

Reporting the player and having their characters looked into won't be a fast resolution.

Identical situation applies to any act of metagaming or powergaming, as one must roleplay until an admin comes to a conclusion. Man acts like superman? R.P. it until an admin resolves the issue. In the end, any metagaming or powergaming is voided.

This suggestion removes the need to report though. 

Given that most players need to write a backstory for their characters, they can tie it into that, and then choose the languages spoken.

For people that are currently playing, yes it does cause an issue but it's already happening but players have to type out [Serbian] [Russian] etc

18 minutes ago, DLimit said:

How does it not solve anything? Reporting the player will cause the admin to review their characters, in depth, before making a decision. 

We have around 300-500 players active within the server. Each player is granted a minimum of three characters. Now, imagine having to review the application requests for 600-1500  characters, rather than simply responding to ten reports of poor R.P. language portrayal.

If all your characters are trilingual that's an issue in it's own regard. Most people don't speak 3 languages. As stated, you would get to pick one language apart from English to speak. If 1500 characters are trilingual than that just shows that the suggestion is needed. Languages aren't something you just pick up, unless you're a baby learning to speak, most require extensive studying. Especially if you're a English speaker and trying to learn a Slavic or Asian language, different alphabets, completely different sentence structure.

What does this actually do though? This doesn't serve as much of a barrier. If I wanted to pretend to speak Spanish, me /reporting and giving a set-standard answer (which would technically be acceptable considering Spanish is the most common language in LA) and it'd be given to me in 10 minutes. 

I've always been against menial script support for things possible on your own. If you're role playing a shitty character with no substance, and you're roleplaying languages out of your ass — you're just going to get reported. We don't need to create this system to counter another system already in place that looks for things like this.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, owen said:

What does this actually do though? This doesn't serve as much of a barrier. If I wanted to pretend to speak Spanish, me /reporting and giving a set-standard answer (which would technically be acceptable considering Spanish is the most common language in LA) and it'd be given to me in 10 minutes. 

I've always been against menial script support for things possible on your own. If you're role playing a shitty character with no substance, and you're roleplaying languages out of your ass — you're just going to get reported. We don't need to create this system to counter another system already in place that looks for things like this.

There is no system in place, people have to type out [Language] each time they want to say something in a different language.

Unless I'm wrong, this suggestion will only have it so you type out a shortcut and [Language] will show before your message.

And then the second part of this would be in regards to character creation with backstory's to back up their claims they speak a certain language.

And then if someone that doesn't understand the language it would just come up as weird letters/symbols.

Edited by Jura
19 minutes ago, owen said:

This, this and this.

The administration isn't lenient on bad characters and bad portrayal. There's the RP quality team and they'd quite happily help you out with any qualms and/or concerns you may have in regards to somebody's poor character portrayal.

• Maple locked this topic