Fix languages.

They could create an option on the PCU that when creating a character has a list of native languages (English is not necessary, it's obvious) , and that when joining the server you can use it through a command, the problem eradicates in the existing accounts.

21 minutes ago, Wirbelwind said:

(American) I think this is just an RPG-esque addition and it isn't needed. Whereas I do understand where OP is coming from, I don't really see this enhancing roleplay.

This. Good roleplayers will just add (Language) and that's it. If you think someone is powergaming, managing to understand foreign language, you can always call an admin.

Considering the basis of this suggestion seems to be vague anecdotes about characters who "shouldn't speak a language" with 0 explanation as to why, I don't think such a drastic, blanket restriction on people's roleplay is warranted.

Edited by arrdef
10 minutes ago, arrdef said:

Considering the basis of this suggestion seems to be vague anecdotes about characters who "shouldn't speak a language" with 0 explanation as to why, I don't think such a drastic, blanket restriction on people's roleplay is warranted.

It's sort of immersion breaking when you're playing an ethnic minority and everyone is a polygot. Just playing in Little Seoul alone I have encountered people that spoke English, Spanish, German, and Korean at the same time.

While I wouldn't go as far as to say it needs some sort of amendment, it is an annoyance.

• Upvote 1

I support this, I've had a man with a generic American name randomly speak khmer which is the main language in Cambodian. I've also seen players randomly speak perfect Russian and when asked if they have an accent they replied with "No". This only shows that the person either doesn't have a second language irl or that they haven't put in enough time into doing research because it's next to impossible for a foreigner to speak with no accent. 

Khmer, Korean, Russian, French, Ukrainian etc. All you need to do is make a vote on what are the most voted for languages to script in because obviously you can't script in all languages in the world. 

Edited by nateX

Yeah, I've played on a server a long time ago that had this system.

I do agree that it is frustrating that people can speak 20 languages, so a system like this is probably worth putting in place. Or an alternative, much simpler system is to just have the system in place so that you can use /sb and you'd get a (Serbian) tag before your text which no-one can use except those with this language scriptwise. So while everyone can understand it, it still can't be used by anyone except those who actually "know" Serbian. 

That would make for a simpler script that is still of the same effect. 

3 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Disagree, just simply report any individual that seems to communicate an excessive amount of languages, in an unrealistic manner, to player management.

That doesn't solve the now and here RP that happens though, and them being able to perfectly understand what's being said at the time.

5 minutes ago, Jura said:

That doesn't solve the now and here RP that happens though, and them being able to perfectly understand what's being said at the time.

How does it not solve anything? Reporting the player will cause the admin to review their characters, in depth, before making a decision. 

We have around 300-500 players active within the server. Each player is granted a minimum of three characters. Now, imagine having to review the application requests for 600-1500  characters, rather than simply responding to ten reports of poor R.P. language portrayal.

Edited by DLimit
  • Maple locked this topic