Inmates should be able to access phone commands while in jail.

Personally, I do not agree with this. While a phone could get smuggled in, who is to watch and see how these items get smuggled into prison? As of now, the prison system doesn't temporarily hold player inventory and PD doesn't take phones away for the fact that /confiscate deletes the item and that it'd be finicky to arrange giving back a phone when that player gets out of prison unless a script is put in place for prisoner's inventories to be temporarily stored elsewhere until their release; to sum this up, who is going to make sure that smuggling gets RP'd properly and who will enforce it? Who is to say that people will RP smuggling something in when there are no guards online to watch them and thus give them free reign to do whatever RP they wish to do? I see it being a messy slope until there is more to the prison system than what we currently have.

Though I do agree with what Fergie said earlier, the wall phones could be a thing- get a phone call a day sort of thing but then again there are different levels of security in prison and depending on the security determines if the prisoners will even get access to those sort of phones. Example being a minimum-security prison which is, as the name states, a minimum-security prison that is meant for non-violent prisoners and aims to reintroduce prisoners back into society as reformed individuals as opposed to something such as Close-Security or Maximum Security (both are different levels but both severely limit what prisoners are allowed to do). Either way, anything that goes outside the prison is monitored; phone calls, letters, even sometimes visitors that are leaving just to maintain the security of the prison.

tl;dr

I think we should hold off on smuggling until the prison system gets more fleshed out and will be more optimized to deal with RP such as smuggling things in. Right now, every prisoner (as far as I know), regardless of the severity of the crime(s) they've committed, are lumped together. I.E. town drunk Gary in prison for public intoxication and assault being in the same prison with gang banging Steve who is in jail for multiple murder charges, so even something such as a wall phone might have to wait until we get a prison system that is not as barebones as what we currently have.

32 minutes ago, ArminHammer831 said:

Personally, I do not agree with this. While a phone could get smuggled in, who is to watch and see how these items get smuggled into prison? As of now, the prison system doesn't temporarily hold player inventory and PD doesn't take phones away for the fact that /confiscate deletes the item and that it'd be finicky to arrange giving back a phone when that player gets out of prison unless a script is put in place for prisoner's inventories to be temporarily stored elsewhere until their release; to sum this up, who is going to make sure that smuggling gets RP'd properly and who will enforce it? Who is to say that people will RP smuggling something in when there are no guards online to watch them and thus give them free reign to do whatever RP they wish to do? I see it being a messy slope until there is more to the prison system than what we currently have.

Though I do agree with what Fergie said earlier, the wall phones could be a thing- get a phone call a day sort of thing but then again there are different levels of security in prison and depending on the security determines if the prisoners will even get access to those sort of phones. Example being a minimum-security prison which is, as the name states, a minimum-security prison that is meant for non-violent prisoners and aims to reintroduce prisoners back into society as reformed individuals as opposed to something such as Close-Security or Maximum Security (both are different levels but both severely limit what prisoners are allowed to do). Either way, anything that goes outside the prison is monitored; phone calls, letters, even sometimes visitors that are leaving just to maintain the security of the prison.

tl;dr

I think we should hold off on smuggling until the prison system gets more fleshed out and will be more optimized to deal with RP such as smuggling things in. Right now, every prisoner (as far as I know), regardless of the severity of the crime(s) they've committed, are lumped together. I.E. town drunk Gary in prison for public intoxication and assault being in the same prison with gang banging Steve who is in jail for multiple murder charges, so even something such as a wall phone might have to wait until we get a prison system that is not as barebones as what we currently have.

Again this suggestion isn't about smuggling in phones or anything of the sort. This suggestion is merely about inamtes getting access to commands when they do in fact have their hands on a phone in RP. As to my knowledge, it is against the rules to RP having a phone ICLY if it was not smuggled in properly, and the guards do take it off you in rp (not through script) if they find it ICLY.

Edited by SOLID24

A lot of potential for abuse here. If phone scripts were going to be allowed in prison, a script that temporarily holds a players items, unless properly smuggled in, needs to be in place first. Like it was said before, /confiscate or /seize by guards isn't being used because we can't return the items to you. For it to not have any potential for powergaming/abuse, there needs to be other scripts (which are in the works) in place first.

Not pointing fingers at anyone, but from what I've seen of Jail, it's hard to trust players with items that haven't been taken from their person. 

edit: To elaborate. If PD/SD allowed a player to keep their phone on their person, but RPly take it during a strip search. With this script, the player would now have an opportunity to abuse PD/SD's trust. I've seen it been done before with cigarettes/wrenches/bats/firearms/etc which PD/SD have either allowed them to keep on their person because it's not illegal, or have just forgotten to /seize. The players were then found using said items to kill each other.

Another way of dealing with it is PD/SD seizes ALL items in your inventory during your strip search at intake, no matter if they are legal or not, unless smuggled properly.

Edited by Keta

With the system is as it stands, peoples phones etc are not taken off them script wise when they are arrested simply because there’s no functionality for it to be returned once they’re out of jail. So, despite it being taken from them ICly, I’m willing to bet a lot of people will still use the phone not having smuggled one in. 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Westen said:

With the system is as it stands, peoples phones etc are not taken off them script wise when they are arrested simply because there’s no functionality for it to be returned once they’re out of jail. So, despite it being taken from them ICly, I’m willing to bet a lot of people will still use the phone not having smuggled one in. 

Although I can agree with this, like I said, to my knowledge it would be power game if they did this, and are simply breaking the rules. If this happens, you can always use /report. As thats what the command is there for anyways.  And as for abuse if you want to bring that up anyways, I'm sure there are plenty of other commands abused everyday, such as the /fixveh command or the /fixrevive command. Either way, when you see someone abusing these types of commands, you are supposed to report. However, I do understand where you are coming from.

Edited by SOLID24
16 minutes ago, Keta said:

A lot of potential for abuse here. If phone scripts were going to be allowed in prison, a script that temporarily holds a players items, unless properly smuggled in, needs to be in place first. Like it was said before, /confiscate or /seize by guards isn't being used because we can't return the items to you. For it to not have any potential for powergaming/abuse, there needs to be other scripts (which are in the works) in place first.

Not pointing fingers at anyone, but from what I've seen of Jail, it's hard to trust players with items that haven't been taken from their person. 

edit: To elaborate. If PD/SD allowed a player to keep their phone on their person, but RPly take it during a strip search. With this script, the player would now have an opportunity to abuse PD/SD's trust. I've seen it been done before with cigarettes/wrenches/bats/firearms/etc which PD/SD have either allowed them to keep on their person because it's not illegal, or have just forgotten to /seize. The players were then found using said items to kill each other.

Another way of dealing with it is PD/SD seizes ALL items in your inventory during your strip search at intake, no matter if they are legal or not, unless smuggled properly.

Same response to what I said above. There is always the /report command. And as for abuse if you want to bring that up anyways, I'm sure there are plenty of other commands abused everyday, such as the /fixveh command or the /fixrevive command. Either way, when you see someone abusing these types of commands, you are supposed to report. However, I do understand where you are coming from.

Edited by SOLID24
3 hours ago, SOLID24 said:

Although I can agree with this, like I said, to my knowledge it would be power game if they did this, and are simply breaking the rules. If this happens, you can always use /report. As thats what the command is there for anyways.  And as for abuse if you want to bring that up anyways, I'm sure there are plenty of other commands abused everyday, such as the /fixveh command or the /fixrevive command. Either way, when you see someone abusing these types of commands, you are supposed to report. However, I do understand where you are coming from.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to check if people were abusing. However, what I will say, is that I personally in the LSPD arrest around 3 people a day. And then I supervise or witness at least 10, maybe 15 more in a shift (a couple hours). That's 15-20 people being arrested per day, 99% of them will have their phone on them (or even multiple). That is not something neither Sheriff's nor the server staff team can manage effectively, especially when this is combined with arrests from SD as well as PD's. There needs to be robust item management for prisoners before we allow this in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Westen said:

Personally, I wouldn't be able to check if people were abusing. However, what I will say, is that I personally in the LSPD arrest around 3 people a day. And then I supervise or witness at least 10, maybe 15 more in a shift (a couple hours). That's 15-20 people being arrested per day, 99% of them will have their phone on them (or even multiple). That is not something neither Sheriff's nor the server staff team can manage effectively, especially when this is combined with arrests from SD as well as PD's. There needs to be robust item management for prisoners before we allow this in my opinion.

I understand this. But, I will explain two things for you. First, you have to realize the majority of the people you arrest, don't even actively role play in jail. What they do is, just sit in their cell and afk, until their time is up. I don't see why they would need/want to access their phone in jail. Secondly, I can say this from experience, the roleplay in jail, (when active) is heavily monitored, by not only deputies but also staff. If a phone was to be taken off an inmate, and they do power game aka voluntarily break the rules, they will eventually be caught by either the guards or the staff watching. I will also add a third thing, this suggestion is just really to implement commands that will in my opinion, heavily improve the role play that goes on inside of the pod. Whatever commands the devs want to add with this suggestion is completely up to them. I am just putting an idea out there. As you have to realize, being an active member of a faction that heavily involves jail roleplay, and an active jail roleplayer, I very much want to improve/expand the ways I and as well as the other inmate roleplayers can do business. I thank you for your criticism and the points you are bringing to the table, as in my opinion they are very valid as well. However, at the end of the day, this is just a suggestion that I do believe needs to be implemented eventually.

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic