I just wanna know how people see Los Santos.

alina2137

Although this idea could be a considerable hit to FPS for some people. But I feel like- through every server, they feel much more lively should you just add NPCs. I do understand there's a certain atmosphere that could be possibly ruined if you were to add locals, but, this adds much more of a lively feel- should you be outside of a night club and there's pedestrians actively going by, and a few select individuals (players) coming into the club itself. 

That could kill two birds with one stone. But then that means there'd have to be rules regarding stealing locals cars and the such, or the murder of NPCs, so on so forth. 

I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) that one of the reasons that we don't have NPC's is because they ignore the world around them. This can make certain RP scenario's very difficult to play out, but they might also drive onto parking lots where something is going on, ignore roadblocks / on-going PD/SD or whatever situation that might be encountered. Which leads to a whole leap of issues of it's own. Enabling NPC's might be fun once a year during April Fools, but I don't think we should make it a permanent thing.

Thing about NPCs is that they ruin RP scenarios. Say you crash into one, in the context of the server you should RP that but then.. by yourself? They're just gonna drive off.

They do make the world feel alive though so it's a tough issue.

I don't see it as a ghost town either, even though lots of people RP inside. There's still more and more people out walking, crossing roads, etc.. People are used to flying 140mph everywhere because it can really feel empty at certain hours, but they'll adjust after almost hitting 1-2 people. They're not gonna adjust overnight.

Either way, NPCs would be too massive of a problem. On top of them possibly ruining RP situations, the NPC AI is actually programmed to drive horribly and cause accidents.

5 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

The problem is they are taking the risk explicitly because what should be a busy intersection during daytime, is not a busy intersection during daytime purely as a result of OOC issues. 

It is not taking a risk, as various criminals are committing crimes with the knowledge that a factory floor or the corner of the central city parking lot have a lack of player character traffic even during the day. 

If there were some sort of NPC witness system, a /crime command to dice roll whether someone witnesses it with risk being relative to a location... I could see letting them "take the risk", as at least then we would be accounting for the actual risk of committing the crime in broad daylight on what should normally be a busy sidewalk.

I don’t really see it as an issue, sure people have to kind of pretend that the city is more alive than it actually is for immersion but these invisible npcs should never have an actual effect on players. Just because something might be a certain way irl doesn’t mean we should all be forced to act like that is how it is ig, otherwise where do you draw the line. the server has a pretty good pop now anyway, we don’t have like 150 players on at peak times anymore so there definitely is a risk of having people or even cops passing by.

1 hour ago, my_g said:

Just because something might be a certain way irl doesn’t mean we should all be forced to act like that is how it is ig

If this server were anything less than a serious roleplay community, I would agree. Unfortunately it is a serious roleplaying community that strives for realism, and choosing to unrealistically portray a city as an empty hollow place for the convenience of inflicting misfortune on other players while simultaneously removing risk seems to be less than in line with what is encouraged by the server setup.

Edited by DasFroggy
58 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

If this server were anything less than a serious roleplay community, I would agree. Unfortunately it is a serious roleplaying community that strives for realism, and choosing to unrealistically portray a city as an empty hollow place for the convenience of inflicting misfortune on other players while simultaneously removing risk seems to be less than in line with what is encouraged by the server setup.

Well I disagree, I don’t think the main aim of a serious roleplay server is to provide a 1:1 real life simulator where every game design is made with the intention of realism as the priority. If we were to go down this road of “you can’t do that because realistically it’d be busy” then I’d have to ask again where the line would be drawn. Should we not be allowed to run down sidewalks because realistically there’d be people in the way? or should we only be able to move a meter every 10 minutes on the freeway in order to realistically portray LA traffic? It’s a game at the end of the day and having it be enjoyable to play Is what’s most important imo.

Just now, my_g said:

Should we not be allowed to run down sidewalks because realistically there’d be people in the way? or should we only be able to move a meter every 10 minutes on the freeway in order to realistically portray LA traffic? It’s a game at the end of the day and having it be enjoyable to play Is what’s most important imo.

For more ordinary activities, I can see the line being drawn. For activities in which other participants are inconvenienced or even deprived of the ability to roleplay until the next paycheck purely on the basis of another acting to inflict said outcomes for personal gain, there really should be considerations surrounding time and place. A mugging should not be possible in a police station because it is convenient to allow it, even if there are no police officer characters present at the time.

If convenience and fun are overriding requirements, then the same can be argued for CKs that result from muggings. It is not easy to have fun if your character is dead and their progress permanently put to an end. It's a game at the end of the day and having it enjoyable to play it what is most important.

13 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

For more ordinary activities, I can see the line being drawn. For activities in which other participants are inconvenienced or even deprived of the ability to roleplay until the next paycheck purely on the basis of another acting to inflict said outcomes for personal gain, there really should be considerations surrounding time and place. A mugging should not be possible in a police station because it is convenient to allow it, even if there are no police officer characters present at the time.

If convenience and fun are overriding requirements, then the same can be argued for CKs that result from muggings. It is not easy to have fun if your character is dead and their progress permanently put to an end. It's a game at the end of the day and having it enjoyable to play it what is most important.

My point is though that having these invisible npcs be able to effect players actions would lead to an unmanageable and indefinitive system that’d probably cause a lot of confusion and disagreements on what would be considered realistic. But I guess we can agree to disagree.

And well the game wouldn’t be very enjoyable if there was absolutely zero risk of anything bad happening to your character.

Edited by my_g

Some may feel "it's a game" at the end of the day, but I know players not from this community but in general that rps, they use it as an escape from their real life.  This is why a lot of players push for realism on GTA roleplay servers.  It's definitely not healthy to view a game as your reality, because eventually you get sucked into your character's life. There are players out there that play this game for more than 8 hours a day. They feel wanted and they feel like their actually somebody. Where they may feel non-existent in reality, which isn't the case at all.   If you think about it role play servers allow you to experience a different perspective to be anyone. Maybe you wish you were a fuckboy or something irl and got laid on a daily,  so you portray to be one ig to experience what it's like.  Kind of why when you do /examine on a player, most likely you see keywords like "handsome," 6ft tall, etc. I know I went off topic with what I was typing, but role-playing allows you to be someone you're not and gives you that experience, which is why everyone wants realism in a virtual world. 

Edited by Gloccs