I just wanna know how people see Los Santos.

alina2137

Hi.

After a talk in #general with a few friends, I wanted to make something of an experiment. I wanna know how you, the players, the admins and anyone else, to be honest, see the city we're roleplaying in. Maybe this thread could help sort some things out in the future, I will point out my concerns in this thread, the ones that make me question this topic over all.

The most concerning thing is what was mentioned in Henning's thread - non-RP driving. People really do speed at 140MPH and it is what it is, While the majority of people drive like civilized humans, there's still bad apples who don't care at all. Lemme just remind everyone that roleplay is a fun gamemode which requires you to use your brain 24/7. Don't put a stick up your ass, just remember to use your brain and put yourself in your character's shoes. For more regarding this, check out Henning's topic because I don't wanna go off-topic in this thread.

The other thing which interests me is what's in the head of someone who commits serious crimes in broad daylight, at times like 1PM or 2PM where people are going home, to work, to school, grocery shopping or having lunch at a nearby restaurant. I'm not here to bash anyone, but I'm just wondering if they do it because the city is dead to them? Do people not see the city we're in as... well, a city? Is it just an empty map for them, that they assume is empty besides any hotspot where factions roleplay? Do people who drive like maniacs and rob people in the middle of what would IRL be crowded streets see Los Santos as just this, an empty map where noone walks anywhere and people aren't watching whatever is going on from their windows?

The big question to the admin team here is: Are we roleplaying in a ghost town? Does a lack of player activity at a certain moment in a given area automatically make the area empty and dead? Do you guys feel like people grouping up in certain hotspots all around the map is a really a good thing for the community as a whole?

I think there's room for improvment of the whole server here, if we could just get a short rule/explanation from Management regarding this topic. Because to be honest, personally I don't see this city as a ghost town, I see people going to work and back home, I see kids going to school, I see it as a city that's alive even without much player presence. And I don't know if it's just me being too passionate about this whole thing. Also, the question started from a discussion about people roleplaying in interiors which causes, obviously, a lack of outside rp. And one conclusion we came up to was that people are legit scared to go out in fear of getting mugged in broad daylight and getting tilted, because it doesn't make much sense. It's also not like we can't take a L - roleplay is not a play to win gamemode, but it's still a pain in the ass to deal with borderline unrealistic situations.

Anyways, in conclusion... I won't be posting here much, because this is an area for you, beautiful people, to talk, since my opinion has already been voiced above.
Keep it civil and don't start no shit, thanks.

Edited by hentai!
  • Applaud 1
14 minutes ago, hentai! said:

The most concerning thing is what was mentioned in Henning's thread - non-RP driving. People really do speed at 140MPH and it is what it is, While the majority of people drive like civilized humans, there's still bad apples who don't care at all. Lemme just remind everyone that roleplay is a fun gamemode which requires you to use your brain 24/7. Don't put a stick up your ass, just remember to use your brain and put yourself in your character's shoes. For more regarding this, check out Henning's topic because I don't wanna go off-topic in this thread.

At some points it isn't as much of an issue in my opinion. The map is rather large, and so, 140MPH on the highway is probably more akin to 100MPH in real life, which really isn't that bad. Driving such speeds on populated road, say, around Vespucci or Vinewood, now that would be nonrp.

The other thing which interests me is what's in the head of someone who commits serious crimes in broad daylight, at times like 1PM or 2PM where people are going home, to work, to school, grocery shopping or having lunch at a nearby restaurant. I'm not here to bash anyone, but I'm just wondering if they do it because the city is dead to them? Do people not see the city we're in as... well, a city? Is it just an empty map for them, that they assume is empty besides any hotspot where factions roleplay? Do people who drive like maniacs and rob people in the middle of what would IRL be crowded streets see Los Santos as just this, an empty map where noone walks anywhere and people aren't watching whatever is going on from their windows?

We roleplay safezones as safezones because they would realistically be staffed, for example, the PD is way too obvious of a place to commit a crime. That being said, some admins have their own viewpoints on the situation, and will say you can't commit a crime say in the middle of downtown LS or such. This is shown in Rule 0 that they have the power to do so, personally I agree - I don't think crimes should be conducted just in the middle of anywhere. However, daylight itself should not be an excuse not to commit crimes, as players play during their IRL timezones and thus most Europeans only play in day and Americans only in night often.

The big question to the admin team here is: Are we roleplaying in a ghost town? Does a lack of player activity at a certain moment in a given area automatically make the area empty and dead? Do you guys feel like people grouping up in certain hotspots all around the map is a really a good thing for the community as a whole?

I don't think people group up in hotspots anymore, people just roleplay where they would realistically roleplay. In the past, people would all congregate in random areas like Mirror Park's plaza, where they have no business actually being. Now, most people roleplay in the properties or around the areas that they'd realistically be in, for example my group, if we're not roleplaying in our kebab shop or taking taxi calls, then we're roleplaying around the depot we own in Grapeseed. However, there are definitely differing view points on the ghost town scenario. Some believe you should be able to commit a crime if no one else is around, as that means it is empty, while others believe that RPly there are other people, and thus, you can't commit crimes there. I lean more towards the latter now, but I used to be a heavy supporter of the former, so it really just depends how people see things.

I think there's room for improvment of the whole server here, if we could just get a short rule/explanation from Management regarding this topic. Because to be honest, personally I don't see this city as a ghost town, I see people going to work and back home, I see kids going to school, I see it as a city that's alive even without much player presence. And I don't know if it's just me being too passionate about this whole thing. Also, the question started from a discussion about people roleplaying in interiors which causes, obviously, a lack of outside rp. And one conclusion we came up to was that people are legit scared to go out in fear of getting mugged in broad daylight and getting tilted, because it doesn't make much sense. It's also not like we can't take a L - roleplay is not a play to win gamemode, but it's still a pain in the ass to deal with borderline unrealistic situations.

I feel like being robbed in daylight is definitely okay, but being robbed in the middle of a busy area is not. If I'm in a side street, an alleyway, or a rather closed off space, I'd deem it realistic to get robbed, but if someone sticks me up when I'm just roleplaying right outside my upper middle class apartment in Vinewood, I'd hope an admin would tell them off. 

• Applaud 2

My approach to the city is 1:1 with how I treated GTA SA. I don't rp a bunch of passers by when there is none, or rp witnesses to a crime when there are none. I also don't drive like there's traffic ahead of me, if there is none and so forth. That doesn't mean that Los Santos is a ghost town from my IC POV. All it means, is that at that particular point in time, literally no one is around me. I think taking things for what they are, as opposed to expecting an equal imaginary concept is the only reasonable way to go.

Robberies are much more about the execution than the location or time. Opportunistic robberies because your char wandered in an area he's not familiar with or is not known to frequent can be enjoyable. Getting robbed after crashing into a car full of gangbangers at low speed is a very fun scenario. Getting robbed at knife point in an alleyway is a realistic and fun proposition.

Getting robbed by two sicarios on a motorbike is pretty much never enjoyed by anyone. Those robbers are no different than truckers in that they grind and take away money not only from their victims but from actual illegal roleplayers who may want to perform more down-to-earth robberies or just extort your character.

On the topic of how to roleplay Los Santos: In my opinion, Los Santos is always to be roleplayed as a bustling cities in most areas, irregardless of player count. There are simply areas where the population is less likely to report a crime.

Edited by arrdef
  • Upvote 1

Even taking the stance that the city is empty save for active players, I still don't see how it's a logical position that also says "Yeah, robbing this person on the side of a major intersection makes sense." You're still contending with the incredibly high risk of somebody driving by at any moment.

I am constantly and legitimately baffled that we even catch crime at all on this server. There are hundreds if not thousands of underground garages, alleyways, rooftops, service ramps, parking garages, a sprawling subway system, and more where illegal business could be done with almost zero risk of public or legal encounter -- and that's just in the damn city. The map is huge; the possibilities endless; yet we still constantly run into the same four or five high traffic and high crime areas for reasons so far beyond my understanding.

Edited by Exploits
15 hours ago, Exploits said:

Even taking the stance that the city is empty save for active players, I still don't see how it's a logical position that also says "Yeah, robbing this person on the side of a major intersection makes sense." You're still contending with the incredibly high risk of somebody driving by at any moment.

I am constantly and legitimately baffled that we even catch crime at all on this server. There are hundreds if not thousands of underground garages, alleyways, rooftops, service ramps, parking garages, a sprawling subway system, and more where illegal business could be done with almost zero risk of public or legal encounter -- and that's just in the damn city. The map is huge; the possibilities endless; yet we still constantly run into the same four or five high traffic and high crime areas for reasons so far beyond my understanding.

If they wanna take the risk they should be able to.

And I'm not so sure what you mean, a lot of criminals do a lot of their dealings in discreet locations like some of the ones you mentioned, although I'm not too sure rooftops and subway stations are good examples. Unless you're specifically referring to robberies in which case I'd imagine it's because potential targets don't really hang around in these places too often. 

Edited by my_g
1 hour ago, my_g said:

If they wanna take the risk they should be able to.

The problem is they are taking the risk explicitly because what should be a busy intersection during daytime, is not a busy intersection during daytime purely as a result of OOC issues. 

It is not taking a risk, as various criminals are committing crimes with the knowledge that a factory floor or the corner of the central city parking lot have a lack of player character traffic even during the day. 

If there were some sort of NPC witness system, a /crime command to dice roll whether someone witnesses it with risk being relative to a location... I could see letting them "take the risk", as at least then we would be accounting for the actual risk of committing the crime in broad daylight on what should normally be a busy sidewalk.

Personally, I don't think that the city is empty. You may not see NPCs walking around, but it's still a city in one of the most powerful economies of the country. People come and go all the time, so stopping to rob/shoot someone in Downtown is ridiculous to say the least.

Same goes for speeding, you gotta act like your character's just another commuter. Speeding down the highway's fine if you wanna do that, but doing a buck twenty down a populated street's going to get you or other people killed despite what might actually happen IG. You should use some common sense and act accordingly so's not to ruin other people's experiences and, by extension, the server's immersion.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Gryphboi said:

Personally, I don't think that the city is empty. You may not see NPCs walking around, but it's still a city in one of the most powerful economies of the country. People come and go all the time, so stopping to rob/shoot someone in Downtown is ridiculous to say the least.

Same goes for speeding, you gotta act like your character's just another commuter. Speeding down the highway's fine if you wanna do that, but doing a buck twenty down a populated street's going to get you or other people killed despite what might actually happen IG. You should use some common sense and act accordingly so's not to ruin other people's experiences and, by extension, the server's immersion.

this