Non-RP driving is getting out of control and needs to be addressed

Trupiano

I absolutely agree. As someone who regularly drives in real life, and so I think most people here do as well, it can get quite scary if you're going at an insanely high speed out there with ongoing traffic. The chances of losing traction of your car are incredibly high if you are not an experienced driver and I think a lot of people fail to properly roleplay that here because in the end it is relatively easy to drive a car on GTA.

I don't think admin punishing these players for doing this is a solution though, I would say start enforcing character kills on players who crash their vehicles at ridiculously high speeds. If you're going way over the speed limit, you're unequivocally disregarding your character's life and not fearing for it because you know all it takes to effectively die is a bad swerve and you're done for. Driving at high speeds is a risk people take and it should weigh on your conscience if it goes south.

I'm not entirely sure if this is already enforced but I can't say I have seen anyone getting character killed over crashing their vehicles at high speeds, and I see these happen on a daily basis. Enforcing this won't kill all unrealistic driving, as that will never accurately happen, but I'm pretty sure it will significantly bump down the number of players who do this.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

Technically the city suffers from heavy traffic, but it ain't there cause npcs take up player slots, so it is impossible to fill the city up with such playerbase.

There are also crashes cause by lags and memory leaks, as it happens to me sometimes when computer just don't bother with drawing the road before me so I get confused where to go cause I don't see anything at all. I normally void such situations, unless it is a major crash. But I see nothing wrong with stopping at lights, I do that. Gives me time to answer a text or something whilst driving without pulling over somewhere.

As someone else said, drive like a normal human being. No one in their right mind would drive 100+ MPH through what would realistically be a busy city, unless they planned on getting pulled over or chased by the police. We suffer from the lack of coverage between PD-oriented players who play at different times, different time zones, etc. Many players seem to think it's okay to RP that there are only 300-500 people living in the city (online players), so they don't see anything wrong with flying through a main street intersection at 100+. This kind of driving would never fly in real life and would most likely get you throw in jail or at the very least a good car chase lol. Game mechanics limit streaming distance and things that make high-speed chases kind of wonky, so in this case, I feel its both an IC and OOC issue.

Also, truckers are reported every day for non-RP driving (speeding through intersections, driving over curbs and so on), so why should normal driving be any different? If you're in the city it should be expected that you drive like you would IRL and for those who don't know these rules from lack of experience, they should be clarified by the GTAW staff to define what "normal" driving would look like in a busy, lively city.

Edited by Chief
26 minutes ago, Chief said:

As someone else said, drive like a normal human being. No one in their right mind would drive 100+ MPH through what would realistically be a busy city, unless they planned on getting pulled over or chased by the police. We suffer from the lack of coverage between PD-oriented players who play at different times, different time zones, etc. Many players seem to think it's okay to RP that there are only 300-500 people living in the city (online players), so they don't see anything wrong with flying through a main street intersection at 100+. This kind of driving would never fly in real life and would most likely get you throw in jail or at the very least a good car chase lol. Game mechanics limit streaming distance and things that make high-speed chases kind of wonky, so in this case, I feel its both an IC and OOC issue.

Also, truckers are reported every day for non-RP driving (speeding through intersections, driving over curbs and so on), so why should normal driving be any different? If you're in the city it should be expected that you drive like you would IRL and for those who don't know these rules from lack of experience, they should be clarified by the GTAW staff to define what "normal" driving would look like in a busy, lively city.

They have and people would find it exciting to get chase by police. Nothing to do on the server? Fly by a cop, then get 8 cops behind chasing you, your mission don't crash and evade. I see it all the time lol supercars getting chased by 7 cops.  Last time we had cops chasing us because we had 2 ounces that cop didn't know, but they ask to step out of the car. I was rolling up using an eighth ICly with a different character. So my boy said "Nah nigga " ICly, and took off, because of 2 ounces = a long time in jail.  The chased last 2 hours and 45 mins lol. My boy did not crash his whip not once, he was juking these cops left and right. Mind you this isn't a supercar the top speed was 97. We witness cops crashing in walls at high rate speed, running poles over, not once did they rp, that's how nice my homie is with driving in gta. Eventually they where so annoyed that they started to ram us and even then my homie hit the brakes and juke their ass once again lol, and they ram into each other. The cop ran into another cop lol.  How it ended we ditch the car and ran on foot and got caught on foot. It was probably the most intense fun experience on this server. 

Edited by BigDrip
1 hour ago, BigDrip said:

They have and people would find it exciting to get chase by police. Nothing to do on the server? Fly by a cop, then get 8 cops behind chasing you, your mission don't crash and evade. I see it all the time lol supercars getting chased by 7 cops.  Last time we had cops chasing us because we had 2 ounces that cop didn't know, but they ask to step out of the car. I was rolling up using an eighth ICly with a different character. So my boy said "Nah nigga " ICly, and took off, because of 2 ounces = a long time in jail.  The chased last 2 hours and 45 mins lol. My boy did not crash his whip not once, he was juking these cops left and right. Mind you this isn't a supercar the top speed was 97. We witness cops crashing in walls at high rate speed, running poles over, not once did they rp, that's how nice my homie is with driving in gta. Eventually they where so annoyed that they started to ram us and even then my homie hit the brakes and juke their ass once again lol, and they ram into each other. The cop ran into another cop lol.  How it ended we ditch the car and ran on foot and got caught on foot. It was probably the most intense fun experience on this server. 

That's honestly another stupid thing people like to do, evading when they get pulled over, afraid of cops searching their car. You know that, they can't and usually even don't do that without having solid suspicion and even if, they still need a warrant, unless it's an ongoing crime happening. So even if you get pulled over for speeding, unless you smoked it in the car and there's scent left inside, they have no reason to frisk you or anything. So it's only you yourself creating yet another crime scene by evading. And honestly first thing a proper gangster does, is to read the law, so they know what they can afford and when and where.

Edited by Engelbert
1 hour ago, Chief said:

Game mechanics limit streaming distance and things that make high-speed chases kind of wonky, so in this case, I feel its both an IC and OOC issue.

On this point, actually, one of the things I have been doing in pursuits is slowing at intersections and crawling through them so I don't get absolutely slaughtered by a mallrat going 700mph in their Pariah. Sure, I lose quite a few pursuits, but at least my character's alive.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Westen said:

On this point, actually, one of the things I have been doing in pursuits is slowing at intersections and crawling through them so I don't get absolutely slaughtered by a mallrat going 700mph in their Pariah. Sure, I lose quite a few pursuits, but at least my character's alive.

Hence, said Mallrat who is driving unrealistically, should be dealt by admins, with something like a 3 strike system, 1st ajail, second ajail (longer than 1st time), 3rd ajail (longer than both 1st and 2nd time) + vehicle taken away due to failure to RP properly. I know people will get upset, but if people refuse to adhere to the rules, you need something that will make them adhere.

Edited by Vash Baldeus
  • Applaud 1

For me it is just a form of power gaming as anyone having an accident at that speed is going to be lucky to survive or maybe at best spend months in hospital. 

As in real life you can't stop people driving fast but fear is what controls the majority of people (fear of law enforcement or injury). So maybe we need to create more fear and where someone is in an accident at that speed CK becomes an outcome the medics on scene can declare. 

Drive fast and crash without consequences is non rp fear. 

Just now, Jankara said:

For me it is just a form of power gaming as anyone having an accident at that speed is going to be lucky to survive or maybe at best spend months in hospital. 

As in real life you can't stop people driving fast but fear is what controls the majority of people (fear of law enforcement or injury). So maybe we need to create more fear and where someone is in an accident at that speed CK becomes an outcome the medics on scene can declare. 

Drive fast and crash without consequences is non rp fear.

It has to be not only IC fear, it has to be also OOC fear from the Admins that if you do it more than once there are consequences.

• Upvote 1
  • Selena locked this topic