Removal of automatic /me upon /take and /place

45 minutes ago, Hagard said:

Guarantee if you was in a shootout, you would not be sitting there /me opens the trunk, carefully takes the gun from its gunrack. You'll be thanking the fact that the cmd is there with the instant /me. its a 50/50. It has its uses because at the end of the day, no one will ever give you the chance to RP grabbing a gun from its gunrack, with long /mes. i get its a heavy RP server, but doing that will only just make it dull and not fun at all. we're all here to have fun and the shooting aspect for some is a major part of it. no one can deny that, neither can people in LSPD or SD 

But then this begs the question - if you are actively getting shot at, would you have time to remove your rifle from the rifle rack?

8 minutes ago, Westen said:

But then this begs the question - if you are actively getting shot at, would you have time to remove your rifle from the rifle rack?

No but it'll just come down to the player to make the right decision. I feel like thats what is just comes down to, whether it's the right idea to try grab a big rifle whilst being shot at. I can see how the cmd CAN be abused but thats why we have rules in place. If someone honestly did feel like it wouldn't be realistic to get a rifle whilst being shot at, thats why we have a report system. Time consuming, yes but it'd be a way to go about it. Considering most rifles ain't the heaviest things in the world. Most AK ranges only really weigh 3-5kg. That's not even heavier than a weeks worth of shopping lol to put in into perspective. So you'd have to consider that as well. (Ik they're other assault rifles out there that weigh more or less, just using an AK as an example)

It should stay tbh, theres realism and then theres pointless. Pointless to remove it.

22 minutes ago, Westen said:

Exactly, it really depends and I think that this is a decision that the player needs to take, according to the situation. 

Removing this will drastically change the way that players are currently handling shootouts, I think that this is unnecessary as it will create awkward pauses mid-RP and it'll give a big advantage to the guy who started shooting first, we have to remember that in real life we don't use the keyboard in order to do things like grabbing a gun from the backseat, players here have a different variety of typing skills, you can't expect everyone to write in 90WPM, therefore, the removal of the command will create unfair advantages. 

Edited by SupSupreme
19 hours ago, Westen said:

Exactly, you don't have time. And "running away for cover" is not always an option. Civilians or fellow cops could be in danger and you have to neutralize the threat immediately. If this gets implemented, ready yourself to start seeing police cars running around the corner to grab a shotgun that's placed right by their right hand, how's that for realism? Ridiculous. Grabbing a shotgun or a rifle IRL does not take time, you JUST GRAB IT. If we have enough time to roleplay anything, we always do it but since LEO's are seldom initiating shootouts, this suggestion is directly putting LEO's at a disadvantage. 

u need to unlock gun racks. combine this with adrenaline and the fact you're being shot at, it's going to be a lot harder than "just grabbing it". the whole point of typing out the /me is to simulate the pressure you'd be under icly.

It's disappointing to see that after explaining it several times, some people still do not seem to get the message that is being put across.

I have been roleplaying on this server for more than 3 years now as a law enforcement officer and I have never been in a situation where I did not have time to write a /me to take a firearm out. I do not respond to shooting calls, drive all the way to to the shooter itself and then have to take out the firearm. I respond, I take note where the shooter is, I go to a safe position and do it there. How can someone be shot if you are not in the direct line of sight? 

If you are questioning the suggestion because you do not have time, then you should reconsider how you approach armed subjects.

Unless we come across a shooting terrorist who is literally walking down the street, gunning people down, I do not see any situation where someone would not have time. Perhaps that can be explained to me so I can understand.

This is not a fast draw where you are opposite a gunman and the first person who writes the /me gets to shoot. You are always able to take out your duty pistol and use that. 

• Applaud 1
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Exactly, you don't have time. And "running away for cover" is not always an option. Civilians or fellow cops could be in danger and you have to neutralize the threat immediately. If this gets implemented, ready yourself to start seeing police cars running around the corner to grab a shotgun that's placed right by their right hand, how's that for realism? Ridiculous. Grabbing a shotgun or a rifle IRL does not take time, you JUST GRAB IT. If we have enough time to roleplay anything, we always do it but since LEO's are seldom initiating shootouts, this suggestion is directly putting LEO's at a disadvantage. 

It doesn't put LEOs at a disadvantage, it puts us at an equal level to illegal roleplayers. If you don't have time to /me taking the gun, then you don't have time to IC'ly grab it. You have a pistol for a reason, use it. There's a reason you're not obligated to roleplay taking out a pistol, because that can happen almost instantly for a well-trained person.

As for grabbing an assault rifle or a shotgun out of a vehicle rack, that's not an instant process. The few seconds it takes you to type the /me and /take are equal to you messing around with the rack and stepping out of the vehicle while under immense pressure. And no, you don't

just 'JUST GRAB IT' — the rack is locked for safety purposes. You have to hit a button and pull a lever to remove a weapon from a vehicle gunrack.

You're looking at it from a wrong point of view, you're treating your IC job as if it's your OOC goal. Your OOC goal here is to provide roleplay and a part of that is to be fair to all parties you're roleplaying with. You getting an automatic /me by the script puts the other party at a disadvantage. 

If you pull up to a shooting that just happened infront of you, use your pistol. If you're responding to a shooting, grab your rifle on the way. No one would mind if you did that — but if something happens right there and right now you need a quick response, use your pistol.

Advanced issues found

Just now, Lemon said:

If you pull up to a shooting that just happened infront of you, use your pistol. If you're responding to a shooting, grab your rifle on the way. No one would mind if you did that — but if something happens right there and right now you need a quick response, use your pistol.

I don't mind, but that's my concern. This suggestion states that you should RP whenever you come out of the car. When I'm responding to an active shooter, I already have my gun ready, why should I RP anything before I step out if I already RPed having it in my hand? And this applies to illegal RPers as well. IRL you often don't see the weapon being drawn, you only see the person coming out of the vehicle, after which they raise their firearm, and these can be seen in the game without any need for RP. Using /me before you rush outside and shoot just distracts the other party from you to read it for no reason. Like I said before, if anything, illegal RPers and civilians shouldn't have to RP anything prior to coming out of the car, not everything should be narrowed down to /me's if it can be helped, it's like doing /me walks to the car, it's just useless RP.

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

I don't mind, but that's my concern. This suggestion states that you should RP whenever you come out of the car. When I'm responding to an active shooter, I already have my gun ready, why should I RP anything before I step out if I already RPed having it in my hand? And this applies to illegal RPers as well. IRL you often don't see the weapon being drawn, you only see the person coming out of the vehicle, after which they raise their firearm, and these can be seen in the game without any need for RP. Using /me before you rush outside and shoot just distracts the other party from you to read it for no reason. Like I said before, if anything, illegal RPers and civilians shouldn't have to RP anything prior to coming out of the car, not everything should be narrowed down to /me's if it can be helped, it's like doing /me walks to the car, it's just useless RP.

maybe, just maybe, read the original suggestion again and you will see that it is a whole different suggestion.

We're not asking you to re-roleplay taking your gun. This suggestion is about removing the automatic /me that you get when you do /take. This is for the people who just do /take 1, get out and blast away. If you roleplay taking out your rifle and you do /take 1 then it's all fine? 

If you consider roleplaying taking a rifle from a gunrack and doing /me walks then you certainly don't know how to separate different actions. 

Edited by Tseard
  • Syrike locked this topic