Removal of automatic /me upon /take and /place

11 minutes ago, rams said:

Your point is contradicting itself. Of course we don't patrol with it in our hands, so it should be roleplayed to be taken out.

Doesn’t contradict itself. Like I said previously, were not the ones shooting people up in the middle of the road with automatic firearms. We’re the ones responding. It doesn’t make any sense to watch someone get gunned down, type out a whole /me for it, type out a command for it, then retaliate.

6 minutes ago, Saccs said:

Doesn’t contradict itself. Like I said previously, were not the ones shooting people up in the middle of the road with automatic firearms. We’re the ones responding. It doesn’t make any sense to watch someone get gunned down, type out a whole /me for it, type out a command for it, then retaliate.

The primary function of this server is roleplay above anything else, isn't it? If you have to rely on some command to generate and automatic /me for you then there's something wrong. As it stands right now, people are just hopping out and from there it's a matter of who has the better aim on the day. The way it should work is that people take in mind tactics, fear, retreat procedures. Making it so that you have to /me taking your weapon to the rack would influence that mindset positively.

• Upvote 1

This is a bad suggestion.

Criminal roleplayers don't roll up to scenes and then decide that they all of a sudden need larger weapons. They don't roll up to scenes already being shot at by people using rifles. I think the /take and /place emotes are necessary to ensure the balance during scenes like this. If, of course, there is no pressure of expediency to respond to someone shooting at you, or at someone else, then you always still have the ability to roleplay these actions to your heart's desire accordingly.

It's a different nature of events. The reason these things don't exist for criminals is because these larger weapons are not being used in the same manner. LEO roleplayers use these weapons only when needed or in self-defense. Criminals use these weapons in well-planned ambushes, and have the time to write the required emotes for them. Typically, LEOs don't have that time, which is why these automatic emotes exist - otherwise, these weapons would never be able to be used when they're actually required - as LEO roleplayers would be wasting precious moments to type out things like this.

It's not about acquiring an advantage, it's about doing away with a disadvantage, which most people don't seem to understand.

1 hour ago, rams said:

The primary function of this server is roleplay above anything else, isn't it? If you have to rely on some command to generate and automatic /me for you then there's something wrong. As it stands right now, people are just hopping out and from there it's a matter of who has the better aim on the day. The way it should work is that people take in mind tactics, fear, retreat procedures. Making it so that you have to /me taking your weapon to the rack would influence that mindset positively.

You make this huge claim of RP first which sounds really good in writing. In practice, we do engage in fear RP. Several times these past few days I’ve had officers call in a massacre but kept a distance until further units came in to assist. Literally the paragraph you just wrote was irrelevant and a /me isn’t going to change anything.

If you want to go THAT deep into it, I want to see players stop everything after getting shot once so they can RP that injury. I don’t see that happening.

Even more so, if you want it to go that deep, why not suggest to have to roleplay removing any weapon including handguns?

This doesn’t go to say I don’t roleplay my assault rifle. Just because someone doesn’t see it doesn’t mean anything. In the heat of the moment when someone’s getting gunned down and the command shoots an automatic /me, yes, I will take advantage of that and I should be able to because why should my character, from a roleplay perspective, not equip myself (when required) in a situation requiring my assault rifle to protect himself and the public.

and Helm is saying what I already said with more depth. We’re not doing drive bys on people left and right, criminal role players perform these illegal acts. The LEO Are a response 

Edited by Saccs
44 minutes ago, Saccs said:

You make this huge claim of RP first which sounds really good in writing. In practice, we do engage in fear RP. Several times these past few days I’ve had officers call in a massacre but kept a distance until further units came in to assist. Literally the paragraph you just wrote was irrelevant and a /me isn’t going to change anything.

If you want to go THAT deep into it, I want to see players stop everything after getting shot once so they can RP that injury. I don’t see that happening.

Even more so, if you want it to go that deep, why not suggest to have to roleplay removing any weapon including handguns?

This doesn’t go to say I don’t roleplay my assault rifle. Just because someone doesn’t see it doesn’t mean anything. In the heat of the moment when someone’s getting gunned down and the command shoots an automatic /me, yes, I will take advantage of that and I should be able to because why should my character, from a roleplay perspective, not equip myself (when required) in a situation requiring my assault rifle to protect himself and the public.

and Helm is saying what I already said with more depth. We’re not doing drive bys on people left and right, criminal role players perform these illegal acts. The LEO Are a response 

We should not be firing off counter-arguments and pointing fingers at other people. We should look at ourselves, how we can better ourselves and then move forward. There's literally no reason to call out that we're not going to do it because the other side of the server is not doing A or B. It does not make any sense and is just wrong.

Answer me this question: Why are we as police not required to roleplay taking out any big firearm when the other side has to do it? Do you not consider this as asspulling? You're literally typing four letters and one number and you are done. If you pull up to a shooting scene, you can get your firearm out within one second, step out and shoot. Why not roleplay this properly, not look as robotic and not having to do anything roleplay wise.

Again, we should not compare our actions by the criminal their actions. We're expected to roleplay in a higher standard. This does not mean that I don't agree that criminals should not do it. But there's nothing wrong with us stepping forward and being an example in this.

This suggestion just aims to cripple law enforcement in the heat of things. The server enables for an automatic /me to be projected as a retaliation to an instance where a long gun is required. It’s the same reason why anyone won’t roleplay running someone over if they’re getting shot at, because they won’t sit there and do /me rams X.

This suggestion also seems to suggest that LEO role players never roleplay unracking their weapons. The fact that you as a former/current LEO roleplayer put this suggestion up leaves a bad taste in my mouth because you seem to suggest we do a poor job at roleplay. Just because you don’t see the /me doesn’t mean it wasn’t performed, and it also doesn’t mean I’ll be copy and pasting my /me for everyone to see so they don’t get upset. If I have time, I will. If I’m getting shot, I’ll use either my pistol or I’ll /take #. I’ll still have to type to get the AR. Having to type out a /me is senseless in this situation because then I’ll only have to take more time for /take.

Edited by Saccs
8 minutes ago, Saccs said:

This suggestion just aims to cripple law enforcement in the heat of things. The server enables for an automatic /me to be projected as a retaliation to an instance where a long gun is required. It’s the same reason why anyone won’t roleplay running someone over if they’re getting shot at, because they won’t sit there and do /me rams X.

This suggestion also seems to suggest that LEO role players never roleplay unracking their weapons. The fact that you as a former/current LEO roleplayer put this suggestion up leaves a bad taste in my mouth because you seem to suggest we do a poor job at roleplay. Just because you don’t see the /me doesn’t mean it wasn’t performed, and it also doesn’t mean I’ll be copy and pasting my /me for everyone to see so they don’t get upset. If I have time, I will. If I’m getting shot, I’ll use either my pistol or I’ll /take #. I’ll still have to type to get the AR. Having to type out a /me is senseless in this situation because then I’ll only have to take more time for /take.

I'm terribly sorry but you are just wrong in all of your arguments.

I have never suggested that LEO RPers do not roleplay unracking their gun. I as a member of the LSSD looked at the scripts that we have and use and came to the conclusion that an automatic /me of a four-letter word command is just wrong. You do /take 1 and you get a text that ROLEPLAYS for you taking it out. We are supposed to roleplay on this server and should avoid letting scripts take over roleplay, that's why there are roleplay jobs on this server. You don't see gas station assistants just doing the command, they actually roleplay.

I argue that if you run someone over intentionally, it should be roleplayed, either at the start when there is time or when it has been done and straight afterwards. If you are running someone over, you initiate it and do the action by actually making contact with the person. If you respond to a shots fired situation, you roll up but you still have time to either back off to safety and roleplay taking it out or you roleplay taking it out prior to injecting yourself into the situation. No LEO officer should drive up to a dude shooting in the middle of the street, just to hop out and empty their gun.

It's not intended to cripple anyone, it's not intended to bring a disadvantage, it's intended to get rid of an script that roleplays for you when you should do it yourself. Some people on this thread look at it as a disadvantage but the majority of people, of which a lot are also LEO, do not see this as a disadvantage but see it as something that is extremely old and not fitting in the current mindset. 

How can you explain the vast majority of agreeing on LEO roleplayers on this thread with your claim.

The server made this script in the beginning of when it started and has not been touched since. The server grew, more people came, the mindset of factions has changed but this has still be left in the dark. 

Edited by Tseard
On 5/1/2020 at 4:29 PM, Tseard said:

When would one not have time? If you are actively being shot at, you should make a priority to get in cover or get out of the area, instead of sitting still and taking out a rifle.

Guarantee if you was in a shootout, you would not be sitting there /me opens the trunk, carefully takes the gun from its gunrack. You'll be thanking the fact that the cmd is there with the instant /me. its a 50/50. It has its uses because at the end of the day, no one will ever give you the chance to RP grabbing a gun from its gunrack, with long /mes. i get its a heavy RP server, but doing that will only just make it dull and not fun at all. we're all here to have fun and the shooting aspect for some is a major part of it. no one can deny that, neither can people in LSPD or SD 

• Syrike locked this topic