Clinical Roleplay & You

Mecovy

totally not a copy of smokey

Howdy, I speak as the leader of one of two major clinics on the Server (Infinity Medical). We currently have a team of 23 members and we open on a mix of daily or every other day at around 6-10 pm time. With our new interior launching soon, which will provide RP and facilities more akin to a hospital, we want to take this time to reach out to the community to answer questions.

The medical scene has been rapidly expanding since around Feb this year. We operate within the laws, but away from the LSFD. 

I hope also that Hope Clinic will be able to answer questions relating to their practice as they make up the other half of the sector's roleplay. 

-Mecovy,

Edited by Mecovy
  • Upvote 6

Currently this entails greater clinic capacity, a very small emergency unit with three beds, therapy area's, testing facilities, psych clinic and full janitors staff which make a hospital a hospital.

Hopefully eventually there will be a plan to officially be a hospital, which would focus on the aftercare of FD patients. But I feel this is a bit of a far step for now.

• Upvote 1

My only unpleasant experience so far has been one person who wasn't very attentive and didn't really know what they're doing. Whereas there is definitely a demand (and a supply!) for clinical roleplay (which I appreciate, don't get me wrong), is there any kind of a vetoing process for general practitioners/medical staff employed at the clinic?

Someone using saline solution as a painkiller for a contusion (bruise) left me quite bewildered.

Is there some kind of test they need to take? Any manuals they need to read and understand?

Whereas I understand how twenty-three (wow!) players is probably a hassle to manage, what is being done to ensure these players are up to par with medical roleplay standards and, in fact — know what they're doing?

I appreciate you reaching out to the community with this topic, though!

• Upvote 1

Currently, both clinics have heads with experience in hospital RP standards, the current enforcement is myself for Infinity and MrsHamster for Hope Health, currently, several guides are being produced on my end to help those who may not always know the correct course of action. On my end particularly this is stalled slightly due to my first-year university exams in May. We currently have a set of guidelines in place at our clinic for staff conduct, and rules in which we punish members by if they break. We have had people we've had to let go in the past for various reasons which didn't align with the image and roleplay we wished to further in the faction.

Staff in my clinic at least are watched and advised as closely as possible, and in this instance, discussions were had about correct courses of action to take.

I hope that's cleared that up for you.

Sometimes we can peak at maybe 15 patients, but the majority of the time its only maybe 5-7 on a 2 hour opening. We're always trying to drive more and more people to come in, make things different. 

Edited by Mecovy
On 5/1/2020 at 11:54 AM, Kassandra said:

I understand the clinics don't charge for their services. In terms of facilitating RP, I support this, but it doesn't seem realistic for America. 

What made you decide against pursuing charges for your services? 

Two reasons why this was done,

1. To attract people to come in, whilst there is no active health insurance to cover people it's hard to properly charge and go about it. The server has Insurances for cars but never any health insurance. So alongside hope and fd we picked not to charge people for care.

2. As an Englishman I dont think I can morally bring myself to charge someone. Even when we did charge patients before I took over, I did not charge my particular patients. (this bit is a joke, apparently, people don't understand that aspect. Refer to the first bullet point to why we don't actually charge.)

Edited by Mecovy
  • Upvote 1

Attended today for the purpose of my character getting her cast replaced.

Tended to by Cataleya Rose & her assistant. The roleplay was nothing short of great and the players worked as a team to deliver an immersive roleplay experience within the clinic.

The scene was not anything overly complicated, yet still had me very invested and interested. This was also combined with a great laidback & friendly attitude on an OOC level.

In conclusion, definitely one of the more positive experiences with medical roleplay as of recently.

• Thanks 2