Despawn Vehicles Upon Disconnect (While in the vehicle)

Canadian

Short description: When someone is in their own vehicle that they own and they crash/disconnect for one reason or another, the vehicle gets despawned. 

Detailed description: There is such an abundance of vehicles left spawned of offline people which is fine if it was intentional but vehicles that are left in silly locations just get in the way and are annoying. As a member of PD, I wouldn't want to deal with these vehicles since it's clearly an OOC issue that caused them to be left there. Cars don't just get left in the road IRL like they are here. Plus, PD shouldn't have to clean up the vehicles on the server. It should function like a vpark, i.e. if the vehicle has items in it, don't despawn it.

Commands to add: None.

Items to add: Automatic vehicle despawn when someone disconnects/crashes in their own vehicle.

How would your suggestion improve the server? Reduces clutter of vehicles left in silly, unrealistic locations.

Additional information: Although vehicles can only be despawned without items (like a vpark), I think it'd still help reduce the clutter of the cars on the server.  

Edited by FullyCanadian
  • Upvote 4
  • Developer

Im inbetween, if people actually crash yeah sure despawn it but sadly as far as I know rage does not know the difference between quitting or crashing.

If they crash it'd make sense to despawn as the player IC would still be in the car and usually those cars are unlocked with engines running and end up being stolen and then its suddenly an IC issue.. while you crashed..

If they quit, well then they should've parked it properly or /vparked it.

Just now, St3fan[NL] said:

Im inbetween, if people actually crash yeah sure despawn it but sadly as far as I know rage does not know the difference between quitting or crashing.

If they crash it'd make sense to despawn as the player IC would still be in the car and usually those cars are unlocked with engines running and end up being stolen and then its suddenly an IC issue.. while you crashed..

If they quit, well then they should've parked it properly or /vparked it.

I see what you're saying but if they did quit and were just too lazy to vpark it or park it properly then how am I supposed to distinguish that from someone crashing? Plus, it's just a nuisance for everyone else on the server. Not really about the person who's vehicle it was. This suggestion is more for everyone else who has to evade cars in the middle of intersections or parked in silly locations.

Edited by FullyCanadian
  • Developer
Just now, FullyCanadian said:

I see what you're saying but if they did quit and were just too lazy to vpark it or park it properly then how am I supposed to distinguish that from someone crashing? Plus, it's just a nuisance for everyone else on the server. Not really about the person who's vehicle it was.

Well, if this was implemented, if they crashed there'd be no car. If they quit, it'll be there.

Maybe just add a timer of like 5 minutes or so. If a player crashes/disconnects the vehicle stays there for 5 minutes, if someone begins to interact with it (is inside, etc) then it doesn't despawn but if nobody touches it during that time it does.

Just now, St3fan[NL] said:

Well, if this was implemented, if they crashed there'd be no car. If they quit, it'll be there.

That could work, yeah. Hopefully it's a pretty reliable function. I'm not sure what the number of people who crash vs just quit in their vehicle is. I'd hope that it's mainly crashes that leave these vehicles parked in silly locations but I have no idea. If it does happen to be the case where people are just too lazy to park their car then it doesn't change the fact that PD shouldn't have to be responsible for constantly cleaning up vehicles left in unrealistic locations.

I support this suggestion and also support a short timer. In the instance that someone is evading police and crash, police are able to tell the suspect crashed by being able to see the vehicle stationary and not just assume the suspect eluded them. If the suspect gets out of sight of PD and crashes the police might just assume they got away without realizing it was merely a game crash. Especially if the suspect / cop doesn’t know each others names OOCly, a crash with instant despawn could cost the whole pursuit. It could also be abused as players could alt F4 in their vehicle to crash their game and instant despawn their vehicle when running from police.