Realism - thoughts.

Tsarna

21 hours ago, Tsarna said:

Is it realistic, that PD people get injured, FD drives them into hospital, and they are seen one hour in the next scene?

i’ve always hated this. if you get shot at least take a few hours off for the hospital and rp the damages done for some time. 

2 minutes ago, GameBurrow said:

Have you actually done that said sidejob for a longer time and seen it work properly? Have you seen how little of the income trucking companies get? Do you know that most of that income every month goes to pay for vehicle insurances? Are you aware that most of the time truck drivers just sit waiting until any shipments come available because there isn't enough shipments available (unless they become the madman, dumping all prober roleplay, that have been showcased in several of the threads in this forum)?

Unless you can provide numbers anything provided would be entirely anecdotal and thus not helpful to the conversation. What is clear is that in order to make profit you need to make more than you spend. If you have a trucking company and you're spending more than you make, you're doing bad business. Either way, a trucking company will have a much easier time as opposed to a creative business due to the nature of the script. To put it bluntly, it's a business designed around a money printer.

The problem is not that trucking is a low income job. The problem is that business owners think it's profitable. And because they see one business flourishing they think they will floursish as well. But here's the thing. When you're in trucking you've probably messed up because it's the riskiest business in the server. Everyone thinks they can manage to keep up with the big ones in the server and they can't. I for example have seen around 8 trucking business dissapearing. And you know what's the funny thing? That each business owners reacts equally once they're told it's not benefitial to make one.

I've tried to put them into order and this is how it goes for trucking business owners.

1. Simple denial occurs when someone denies that something unpleasant is happening. For example, a person with a failing business might deny that he/she is going to fail due to failure in their current way of operating their business.

2. Minimization occurs when a person admits an unpleasant fact while denying its seriousness. A person about to buy a risky business, for example, goes ahead and buys it without measuring the risks this business might put them in.

3. Projection occurs when a person admits both the seriousness and reality of an unpleasant fact but blames someone else. For example, the business owner might insist that his or her competition has the fault by monopolizing the sector.

If oyu need more explanation on those three stages I can tell you more. But trust me I'll name them if you want me to. But probably 8 companies are the ones that I've seen go down. The only one that sustains itself to this day is Kazanov & Thomas but there's something unrealistic in that business and I won't deal with that here.

Also the server has no space for 4-5 companies even. There's not much demand.

Edited by Chuck Lee

I just think, that micro-managing will just lead to nothing else but people getting just turned off and they will just leave, if something better will come around the corner, sadly. 
- people are denied a house, when they work in the city, because you can not live in the suburbs, too unrealistic
- people will have to stay in one place when they want to be a hard-worker and not belong to a mob, to gain money faster.

- you can not be a successful investor/businessman, because you are one man/woman: you have to make a corporation really fast. 

The server is 2 years old, let me remind you. I have been here almost half of that time, and yet, it is for me to have two businesses on my own, because it is not realistic, for you have this many assets. 
But then again - I resigned as the GM from Bluewater. Hopefully, they leave me be for a while now, until a certain someone finds something other to bicker about. 

I'm seeing misinformation and baseless accusations being tossed around, so I'm going to be stepping in and locking this thread for the time being.

Character portrayal will always be emphasized and there are steps in place that a player may pursue if they find someone isn't adequately portraying their character to the point that it's detrimental to those around them. Somebody already linked it, but I'll link it again:

The server will never be 1:1 with real life because it's simply not feasible. The economy is a great example of that - it will never be possible to replicate a real economy, with the expenditures that come with it, and thus we need to work with what we have. Players are given a lot of freedom on the basis that they will be responsible.

It's very true that I could make a character and roleplay as, for example, an apprentice mechanic - and then make a fortune in just a week - to the point that I could, through the script, purchase a high-end sports car. But do I take the number in the top right of my screen as an accurate representation of my character's wealth? Absolutely not, because I appreciate that in a real life setting - there's no possible way that my character, an apprentice no less, would be able to accrue enough wealth in just a week of legitimate grafting to purchase a high-end sports car. I could buy it, but I choose not to in favour of adequately portraying my character.

You are welcome to roleplay whatever you like, but what you choose to do must make sense and have some explanation behind it. You're supposed to be portraying a character, which requires some thought.

KV has answered virtually all of the concerns listed in the original post very well;

• Upvote 2