Crazy high temperatures on GTAW

pateuvasiliu

Taken today 11 APR

31d13a393ed7e572aef615539896b789.png

I've only ever gone over 70C when I was rendering videos. My CPU normally stays at low 60 temperatures. GTAW is the only game in which it goes this high.

Compare to this ( RDR2 )

5dedfd7e1bfa40ff7f6f0d2203ab8b76.png

or this ( GTAW months ago )

783610eb88f16259d695b168acbb53b6.png

The performance and thermals have become way worse in the last few weeks. We're talking a 7C temperature increase.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
12 minutes ago, Golden said:

Do you play with vsync on? Otherwise your GPU/CPU will always try to work at 100%

If Vsync was the reason it's so hot it would've been hot in the bottom picture too, which is also from GTAW. GTAW just became less optimised/more demanding as time went by.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
1 minute ago, Jennie said:

Vsync, more fps = more work for your cpu.

It's not a matter of FPS. If I limit it to 60 it's the same temps. Also I have an 144 MHz monitor and the FPS isn't going over 144 anyway so pointless to use Vsync.

Edited by pateuvasiliu

I can't see how GTAW specifically would cause your temperatures to run high, if anything your fps would have just decreased. Maybe the weather has changed and it's became hotter since it was last taken? Or could be dust/damaged fans

tried setting a higher fan curve? 
Have you checked for any dust stuck in the gpu fans or case fans?

1 hour ago, pateuvasiliu said:

It's not a matter of FPS. If I limit it to 60 it's the same temps. Also I have an 144 MHz monitor and the FPS isn't going over 144 anyway so pointless to use Vsync.

So you play without Vsync and have your FPS limited to 144? What program do you use to cap it?
And what are your specs

Edited by Raindance
29 minutes ago, Golden said:

Or could be dust/damaged fans

Not a chance. I play with temp monitors daily. In RDR2 it doesn't go past 64.

I can't see how GTAW specifically would cause your temperatures to run high

And yet it happens. Other players in my faction have complained as well.

20 minutes ago, Raindance said:

tried setting a higher fan curve? 
Have you checked for any dust stuck in the gpu fans or case fans?

This isn't a hardware issue. My temps are far lower in literally anything else including GTA 5 SP.

21 minutes ago, Raindance said:

So you play without Vsync and have your FPS limited to 144? What program do you use to cap it?

NVidia Control Panel.

And RTX 2060S / Ryzen 5 2600 @4GHz  / 16 GB RAM at 2933

Not too much else you can do, 77 degrees is still normal for a GPU. A 7 degree change is also nothing unheard of, that could simply be things running in the background, or anything really. You could lower your graphics settings or cap your FPS to something you are comfortable with, balancing performance and temperature. There are other things you may be able to try, undervolting, etc.

3 minutes ago, Golden said:

Not too much else you can do, 77 degrees is still normal for a GPU. A 7 degree change is also nothing unheard of, that could simply be things running in the background, or anything really. You could lower your graphics settings or cap your FPS to something you are comfortable with, balancing performance and temperature. There are other things you may be able to try, undervolting, etc.

You're missing the point. The issue isn't with my CPU hitting 69it's with my CPU only hitting those temps when other games are fine. GTAW is literally making my PC run hotter. The issue isn't with my PC.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
  • Bash locked this topic