Playing on a hot laptop

Tony.

I play GTA on a MSI prestige 15 and when I play with the charger plugged in and with the High Perfomance (Full speed with the fan) checked the temperature increases to around 47-50C. Now when I play without the charger plugged in my laptops temperature decreases a lot. I mean you can barely feel the heat, however my FPS drops. Now the question: is it harmful for my laptop on the long run? And is there anyway I can decrease the temperature? I mean it must have something to do with the battery and the charger.

45-50C is a really good operating temperature, especially for laptops. GTA V usually makes laptops run 60-70+ celsius. 45-50 is a really good operating temperature and it shouldn't be harmful to your laptop in the long run whatsoever. My ASUS runs on around 65-70 celsius playing GTA V and other high requirement games and I've been doing it for over 2 years now with 3000+ hours sunk into games and it still has no damage. The temperature is perfectly fine, you're all good.

Edited by JustAnM43

47-50 celsius is completely fine as processors and such can often endure up to 90-95 celsius, as for the lower fps while unplugged, I assume that the laptop itself restricts the performance to safe power(beyond the power settings). I've noticed that in general you'll always get a better performance when it's plugged in.

1 hour ago, zUgg zUgg said:

I would recommend you remove your battery once it is fully charged. If you plan on playing tethered to a power outlet there isn't a point to having the battery get worn down, charged and generate more heat while you game in place. 

this, and it'll generate more heat when you have it plugged in. Since Windows recognizes to run at full power without the worry of the battery dying.

• 2 months later...
  • Bash locked this topic