Flooding: When it rains in Los Angeles, it rains

Cobra

Flooding - Would you support this?  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 4/25/2020 at 6:58 PM, Tseard said:

Not supporting for the reason that it rains too much in GTAW. If we implement this with the raining that we currently have, we'd do rescue operations every week.

Haha lol. I mean, there'd have to be some realism applied. It shouldn't be raining THIS much in GTA World. Like I said, it'd be an admin controlled event anyhow. Two or three times a year really. 

LA is meant to be sunny and dry with the occasional heavy rain a handful of times a year, not sure what's happening lately. 

81815.jpg

Edited by Cobra

I think a flooding event would be awesome. If they made the server not rain as frequently as it does at the moment but made it so flooding would happen more regularly (perhaps try and mimic real life Califonia trends) definitely up for it!

I think a flood should be tried at least once!

If this was to be added, it would have to be very rare. I do not want to role play a flood every week, or every other week. I'd prefer this once every blue moon and nothing else — otherwise this eventually becomes annoying.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:57 PM, Hawken/Moscropp said:

I think a flooding event would be awesome. If they made the server not rain as frequently as it does at the moment but made it so flooding would happen more regularly (perhaps try and mimic real life Califonia trends) definitely up for it!

I think a flood should be tried at least once!

Definitely aiming to mimic California trends here. A few days of rain each year, some flooding, sun and shine the rest of the year around. Generally speaking. 

On 4/27/2020 at 4:33 PM, owen said:

If this was to be added, it would have to be very rare. I do not want to role play a flood every week, or every other week. I'd prefer this once every blue moon and nothing else — otherwise this eventually becomes annoying.

Yeah so that is one of the best main points of the post. A big event that happens once or twice in the year, lasts for a few days and then it's over. Something really notable in the server's story of events that can create some interesting RP for a bit but not disrupt things in the long term. 

As long as @Cobra agrees to fund computers for people who's computer will struggle to keep decent FPS with that amount of water I am all for it, otherwise explain to me how you'd implement a GRAPHICAL mod that takes up GPU power, not everyone in this community has top of the line gpu's.

Also, most if not all the mods (most current vehicles and hair styles are fine, but clothing and Kawaii are pure garbage imho) stick out like it's GTASA graphics mod shoved into GTAV without even the effort of making it blend in.

I do not support this mod even if it will be rarely added as an event as it will hurt the lower hardwareend of the community who can not afford better hardware to have better FPS.

EDIT:

You are going to tell me these small waves that are individual won't drain fps? Shit will drain fps faster than you can blink.

8c47193ce4f97471e8da58a67a3ac5d4.jpg

Edited by Vash Baldeus

I've been told that Nervous himself has said that Los Santos and its island is to be role-played as a separate state so idk why it's being compared to LA aside from visual resemblance.

Even so, I wouldn't mind seeing this as a disaster event type of thing done maybe once or twice a year, not quite sure how it'd be pulled off but I'm interested.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:59 PM, Dumplings said:

I've been told that Nervous himself has said that Los Santos and its island is to be role-played as a separate state so idk why it's being compared to LA aside from visual resemblance.

Even so, I wouldn't mind seeing this as a disaster event type of thing done maybe once or twice a year, not quite sure how it'd be pulled off but I'm interested.

I think there's conflicting information. The expectation for Government factions from FM and faction leaders is to roleplay their Los Angeles equivalents. So for example we in Los Santos Fire Department roleplay it as if we're the virtual equivalent of the Los Angeles Fire Department, which was a change that came into place after the new FM were introduced. As a result our uniform, ranks, tactics and character personalities reflect that. 

The overall theme of the server's characters seems to be based on that of LA. E.g. South LS is South LA with the gang culture and black history that stems from fifty years of trouble in the area, Vespucci Beach is Venice Beach with new and upcoming artists, businesses and athletic types; but there's also some low-level street gangs causing issues, Vinewood/Alta is Hollywood with your hip and young adults living in apartments and shopping on 'Sunset Drive'....etc. So I suppose most people and factions try to reflect that because they're used to the GTA universe which is based off of Los Angeles, San Fierro, New York City...etc.

I was still under the impression this was how it was roleplayed, so all my suggestions and references try to find real-life Los Angeles and Southern California equivalents. 

But on the other-hand I do quite like the idea of seeing it as a separate civilisation with a similar culture, and climate. An island whose beautiful mountains, forests, deserts, coast...etc. has been shaped by natural disasters such as earthquakes, fires and of course - flooding.

The City of Los Santos that resides in the lower-basin of the island has had to install flood defences and manage its rivers to carry water away from Downtown; but inevitably the water has to go somewhere and instead floods freeways and low-lying neighbourhoods. As global warming increases more parts of the area is at risk of flooding, mudslides - and wildfires. Earthquakes also loom in the city's minds. 

082114_4ten_02.jpg

Artists pose for photographs in the Los Angeles River; a once lush river that was then channelised in concrete by the US Army following floods in the 1930s.

On 5/5/2020 at 6:32 PM, khaled said:

I wouldn't mind it as an occasional event set by administrators. But, it also depends on your location. It doesn't make sense to have extreme flooding the more inland you're at, I think it should be variable depending on location rather than flooding the entire map. Also, GTA World's weather script has to be improved to be more accurate before such a thing is implemented, it doesn't represent Los Angeles' climate or weather accurately. It's way too cold in-game and it rains way too often.

Yeah I think it would be possible if the overall sea-level is raised using a simple script, but it's only raised a few feet. That would mean it would only flood low-lying coastal areas; such as Vespucci Beach, the flood channels, the Zancudo wash...etc. But because most of the map is generally raised it wouldn't be a problem for them (Little Seoul, Mirror Park, Strawberry, El Burro, Paleto Bay...etc.). I can see it affecting the low-lying freeways and rods too, that act like rivers when filled with water.

5287680924_742a9d061b_z.jpg

LA. City's Fire Engine 89 rushes through streets flooded from the nearby LA River in North Hollywood. 

Edited by Cobra
  • mj2002 locked this topic